Wake the Dragon 2020 Photos / Media Thread

Draxaan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Hey everyone,

Thought I'd kick off a photo and video thread from the event!
I missed the main event due to gouging both driver side tires on Friday morning, but caught a few of you on Saturday night and Sunday.

Chicago Type R crew was great; we met up just outside of the Dragon and we took a few photos before they headed back home.

The black Miata and I had a pretty intense touge battle, and we headed up to the Foothills Parkway for a cruise afterward. Jon was an excellent driver, but the Type R came out on top in the mountains (may upload the video to youtube eventually). He has done some great work on his Miata, and I look forward to seeing him in the mountains again someday - especially if he does go the turbo route.

Let's see what you all have! I'll throw some more photos up as I sort through.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wake the Dragon 2020 Photos / Media Thread DJI_0048.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Wake the Dragon 2020 Photos / Media Thread DJI_0054.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Wake the Dragon 2020 Photos / Media Thread DJI_0116.JPG

SouthSideBeef

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR86
Country flag
I also missed the group drive so I didn't get to hang out with anyone but I did meet a couple guys at the Wildwood Grill Saturday night. Me and my friend still had a great time driving around, hiking trails and just relaxing at the hotel.

BTW my friend didn't bring his car so his first time on the Tail of the Dragon he was driving my car in the dark :oops:. I didn't realize how different of an experience it is when you're in the passenger seat. Every turn it feels like you're going to fly off the road and then the car just sticks and pulls through. Super fun. Looking forward to next year when we can hopefully have a more normal event.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wake the Dragon 2020 Photos / Media Thread DSC00580.JPG

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

One morning there was a couple SGP guys at the cabin across from me. Had to take pics. I've got a bunch of dashcam footage to go through and edit.

Next year I need to get a go pro, as the dashcam FOV is too wide so you can't really tell speed or that I'm pushing hard aside from tires yelling, or the sound of intake and turbo noise.

I mostly drove solo with the lady in tow. She wants to get me a harness setup for next year since she spent Thursday-Monday being thrown around the front seat. I'm just like uhh.. Sure? It's not bad for my with the wheel in my hand and knowing when I'm going to brake and cut hard.

I have to go through everything I have, plus pick out some killboy and 129 photos.

I'm definitely going to get a room in the main lodge though, there was like a 200 square mile area with no cell service over there. I didn't get any until I was going home and in Tennessee. At least at the lodge there's wifi. I would either have to go up there to use my phone, or park up at the restaurant.

When I got there Thursday at midnight I wasn't expecting to have to drive up the dragon to get to the resort.

Car was loaded to the brim with crap, it was pitch black and rainy. Crazy to think I was driving by all those little cliffs and drops of doom without realizing they were there. It's gotta be scary in the passenger seat going up.

During the days there i would tend to gravitate towards the right side of the lane because I didn't want to cross the line and get a huge ticket. Saw a lot of other cars (not civics, mainly these Shelby cobras who would cross all the time. That's a bad habit

Last edited:

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had an absolute blast as always!
Regardless of the weather, there was still plenty of dry time and the fellowship was great. There is nothing like hanging out with people who have the same interests!
I need more of these types of things in my life for sure!

A big thanks to all those who made this possible and to the sponsors for their generous donations!
Honda Civic 10th gen Wake the Dragon 2020 Photos / Media Thread 6623B837-0FCF-431B-ABC5-AADCB8AC2A88

Ran with these guys for pretty much the whole weekend.
Honda Civic 10th gen Wake the Dragon 2020 Photos / Media Thread AB7E1506-9F6A-4CCF-9D59-AD01C5DADC1F

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another pic of my “crew “
That’s my friend who works with me in the STI. Kid couldn’t even drive a stick three months ago! He did great though, made me proud!
Honda Civic 10th gen Wake the Dragon 2020 Photos / Media Thread D6CC3D87-65D7-401E-971B-319FFADE4816

Eric48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
Looks like you guys had a great time! I sort-of regret cancelling last minute. Everyone else that was going to run with me backed out due to work or covid concerns and the idea of a 15 hr solo drive just did not appeal to me that Thursday morning. Then there was the whole mess with Fontana. I had one of the flash sale GC's and wasnt really interested in having to dump more money into this trip. Hopefully next year will be a little more normal.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I left Monday morning and I finally managed to get a completely clear and clean run down the Dragon. I could have pushed harder going down, but I'm always worried about going over the line and people coming the other way especially since people can't drive. Once I turned around I ran into these 3 trucks driven by half-bred morons going 10mph the entire way, and crossing through every lane and line imaginable. Of course they wouldn't pull over at the scenic overlook where there is plenty of room to get over. Non-driving littering asses. Luckily I could just turn around and fly back down and up a couple times.

I started pushing harder once I kept running into traffic. So much fun, it's a shame I didn't have my exhaust on and tuning.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I left Monday morning and I finally managed to get a completely clear and clean run down the Dragon. I could have pushed harder going down, but I'm always worried about going over the line and people coming the other way especially since people can't drive. Once I turned around I ran into these 3 trucks driven by half-bred morons going 10mph the entire way, and crossing through every lane and line imaginable. Of course they wouldn't pull over at the scenic overlook where there is plenty of room to get over. Non-driving littering asses. Luckily I could just turn around and fly back down and up a couple times.

I started pushing harder once I kept running into traffic. So much fun, it's a shame I didn't have my exhaust on and tuning.
Yeah, it’s always a bummer when you can’t make a clean run! That’s one reason the original event is scheduled in April. There is less traffic for sure, but you can never count on having it all to yourself. You just have to hope for the best and keep going up and down like you did.
There are plenty of other roads nearby that are just as much fun. Hell, I’d just as soon run up and down 28 going to Fontana!

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, it’s always a bummer when you can’t make a clean run! That’s one reason the original event is scheduled in April. There is less traffic for sure, but you can never count on having it all to yourself. You just have to hope for the best and keep going up and down like you did.
There are plenty of other roads nearby that are just as much fun. Hell, I’d just as soon run up and down 28 going to Fontana!
Yeah, Cherohala Skyway is a lot of fun too, sometimes it's super cloudy up there early in the morning, but it's technical and straight sections make it much faster than the dragon, a couple spots you can hit 120 pretty easy. I can't wait for next year's event already. come spring I gotta get some PS super sports or some other really sticky tire. Grip through turns was great but wheels broke loose from traction a bit.

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like y’all had a blast. My boyfriend has been up this way a bunch of times when he had his motorcycle before his accident. I know my car wouldn’t handle it lol. Told him I wanna go sometime but he’s like, if we go, we’re going to take a “fun” car. What is the definition of a “fun” car?!? Lol his mom has a S2000.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@AdamD19DFK8 Man, those shots came out REALLY good. Is this what you get when you buy the pics from Killboy? If so, I don't know why more people arent doing it. There's some awesome, frame worthy rollers in there.
Yeah, they are a little pricey. I think I got 10 or 11 for ~$90. Every one you add takes a certain cent amount off the per value I think it was $8.50 or something per
Sponsored