Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
360glitch

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This was just posted on Resort Website

To all Fontana Village Resort & Marina guests, friends, and family: We wanted to let you all know that the recent Owners of Fontana Village Resort have decided to surrender their lease back to TVA as of June 1, 2020. This was a difficult decision to make, but due to the recent COVID-19 pandemic and the loss of a big part of the 2020 season, they have decided not to continue the lease on the property. TVA is actively looking at the future possibilities for Fontana Village Resort & Marina, but we currently do not have a planned opening date. There are a lot of details to work out between both businesses before any announcement can be made. We ask that you are patient with our staff as we work through the transition.
The above is about 10 days old. More recently the following was shared with us:

Honda Civic 10th gen Wake the Dragon 2020 - Event & Registration Information **New dates Aug 21-23** c5DoWIiJCnewGSX95EJxN3-6B8&_nc_ht=scontent.fjan1-1

I have not heard anything since. We are still hopeful that Fontana Village will be ready for us at the end of August, but if not we do have a couple of backup plans in mind. We would like to give them a little more time before abandoning them and making any big changes.
Sponsored

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback 1.5T
Country flag
Any updates on the event? Im in eastern NC near Camp Lejeune and would love to attend

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Following for updates. Coming from Canada may not be feasible anymore given the restrictions are coming back into play

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, unfortunately with the border situation, I will probably not be attending either.
WTH eh?
Nooo fun without Canucks. You can still go, youā€™ll just have to immigrate without going back, The CTR can haul well densely packed, havenā€™t heard much how it handles towing a trailer for the rest of your belongings. Start thinning with Yard Sale next weekend. See you at ToTD maple-leavers!
As Plan B, do you have a similar road/area, there maybe called Dung of the Caribou accessible for both weeks of summer?

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R (Rallye Red), 2002 RSX-S (shell)
Country flag
Just chiming in here since I was up there with another club last week. If anyone remembers Team-Integra.net, they used be very active around the 3rd gen Integras. They had an annual Dragon Run since 2006, meeting end of July or early August. A core group attended every year and has become good friends. We still meet, although the Integras are now few and far between.

When our organizer could not get in contact with Fontana Village, he did some searching and learned that they might not renew their TVA lease. Since the number wanting to attend this year was only 20, we ended up renting houses through Airbnb or Vrbo. The benefit was that the cost per person was less than a cabin at Fontana Village and the homes were nicer. The downside was we were separated and it took more coordination to do things together. The two places we stayed were "The Head Rest", on the mountain behind Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort, and O'Henry's Getaway, on 129 halfway between Robbinsville and Deal's Gap. The former was in a gated development had little parking and a very sketchy narrow access road up the mountain. The latter has plenty of parking room, a two-car garage, and a large open porch great for gathering. One person stayed at a "Tiny House" close to Robbinsville. Some others stayed at a family cabin in Happy Valley off of Foothills Parkway.

We all arrived by Wednesday evening and left Sunday morning. While it rained every day, there was much dry time in the mornings and evenings. In addition to driving the Dragon, we did a Cherohala Skyway run and also a Foothills Parkway run (which has been extended all the way to Pigeon Forge). We visited Fontana Dam, top and bottom, but the gift shop and museum are closed. Another hidden gem that I drove several times is the road from the back of Fontana Village to US129 which consists of Rhymers Ferry Road, Farley Branch Road, Old Field Gap Road, and Yellow Creek Road. You can branch right to Meadow Branch Road instead of left to Old Field Gap Road which shortens the route and meets US129 near Tapoco Lodge. One place we didn't go this year was the SCCA Hill Climb location which is Maple Springs Overlook, off of Joyce Kilmer Road.

I hope you guys are able to make this happen despite the closing of Fontana Village.

Overlook near the end of the Cherohala Skyway
Honda Civic 10th gen Wake the Dragon 2020 - Event & Registration Information **New dates Aug 21-23** Skyway Overlook

SouthSideBeef

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR86
Country flag
@360glitch Any new updates on the event? I know Fontana Resort isn't going to work out so I'm making my own plans on where to stay but I'm curious if you guys have worked out some sort of plan B.

OP
OP
360glitch

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@360glitch Any new updates on the event? I know Fontana Resort isn't going to work out so I'm making my own plans on where to stay but I'm curious if you guys have worked out some sort of plan B.
You are on track. Here is the latest update from our Facebook group, which I will always provide a link to:

Read below for an update on what to expect on our upcoming event weekend (August 21-23)...

At this time we are about 4 weeks out. In case anyone has not yet given up on Fontana Village for this year's event, I believe it is time to let that go. We are hopeful Fontana Village will resume operations at some point sooner than later, but we cannot wait any longer for our 2020 event. We were promised updates and they never came. I do not have any information beyond what has already been published here. If you have made a deposit that has not already been refunded, I would recommend pursuing a charge back with your bank or credit card provider. I was initially against charge backs and wanted to give FV a chance but we are beyond that at this point.

All that being said, there is probably some good that will come out of it. At this point of the ongoing COVID19 pandemic, I believe it would be unwise for 200 of us from various parts of the country (and even other countries) to all stay at the same place over the weekend. This does not mean we cannot still enjoyed a modified event weekend, but I do believe it is best for everyone to make their own hotel/cabin/airbnb arrangements so that we are not all concentrated into one area.
I also believe that it would be unwise for all of us to meet at any one location for any part of the event. In fact, North Carolina is limiting outdoor groups to 25 or less and Tennessee is limiting to 50 or less. These restrictions are of course subject to change.
Final details are still being worked out, but our intent is to divide everyone coming into various groups. Each group will have a leader and planned driving routes. All state issued social distancing guidelines must be adhered to. In order to responsibly limit exposure risk, groups will not be in contact with other groups. This year's event will look very different than the last two, but I am hopeful that it will be better than just staying home for the weekend. We still have LOTS of prizes that have been donated by sponsors. We will make sure those are distributed. They will likely be awarded virtually, announced for all to see, and then shipped the respective winners.
If for any reason you are signed up for the weekend but do not wish to participate under these circumstances, we can arrange for your shirt(s) to be mailed and you will still be eligible for any and all giveaways.
It is unfortunate that we have been dealt this hand of cards, but let's make the most of them. The Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway will still be the main roads we focus on for the event, so please plan where you would like to stay accordingly.
and another:

New attendee survery:

https://forms.gle/LxSLHVGsiME38AMk6

If you are attending our modified event weekend, Aug 21-23 2020, please complete this survey. It MUST be completed to be assigned to a driving group. Some of the questions will look familiar.

Signed up but not attending for any reason? Please email us at [email protected] to have your event t-shirt(s) mailed to you.
And finally, the link to the Facebook group for the most updated information and to discuss the event with other attendees:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/157173291770550/

OP
OP
360glitch

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Announcement! - 8/8/20

News from Fontana Village... as of about 20 minutes ago we have learned that they are re-opening under new ownership next week, one week before the event weekend. This was certainly unexpected. It does not fix everything but it will help out a lot of people.

Good news - If you have made a reservation for the weekend and have not yet officially cancelled it, your deposit is valid and your room/cabin is still reserved for you. Many considered this money lost and we are glad to hear it is not. :)

Bad news - If you have any gift cards that were issued by the previous owners and management group, they are unfortunately not valid. This is disappointing but ultimately not surprising. It would not hurt to pursue chargebacks on any related transactions but I don't know if it would help or not. :(

What didn't change - North Carolina still has strict gathering restrictions in place. Current limits (through September) and 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors. This prevents us from hosting our large group banquet or the large group car show. We will still have to proceed with our "small group" event weekend. To be honest, even if the restrictions were not in place, I would be worried that Fontana Village would not be ready to handle a group of our size, all at once, the second week that they are open after being closed for so long and a change of ownership. (catering, etc)

Summary - If you made a deposit at Fontana Village for a room or cabin, it is valid and you can stay there for the event weekend. No need in paying for accommodations elsewhere, not to mention you won't find anywhere closer to the TOTD to stay. We are still sticking with small driving groups. You MUST complete our latest survey to be assigned to a group. If you have not done so yet, please do so here:

https://forms.gle/NR1uNiL1k5E3F9D58

If you do not get assigned to a group, you will be roaming the mountains on your own, for better or for worse. ?

Gandalf

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
How would we go about getting our shirts shipped? I really wanted to come and see everyone's vehicle and hang out. Driving the Dragon would be nice but I can get there relatively anytime so I won't be coming for the weekend since I don't get to hang out with fellow members and lust over mods.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Oh my Fontana reservation is still good? Then it's back on baby.

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Theyā€™re due to reopen Friday Aug 14th per above but it could take a month to get rolling smoothly. Iā€™m waiting for Spring.

Fontana isnā€™t answering phones yet as I called several times to ensure my reservation for next week was moved to April 2021,. Iā€™m high risk and dying to go but want no chance of that actually happening. Staying home safe in Florida (I know, weā€™re in top 5 if no longer #1) but home cocoon is better.

I sent email last week to the shirt gmail ship it Instead address provided earlier (couldnā€™t find it quick search or I really-post), no response yet.

Yā€™all have fun and consider this for your grills as nobody wants Car-owner-19.

UPDATE:
Fontana called back hour later. I changed my Aug reservation to Apr 2-4 2021 (Fri through Sun) and they noted prospective new date for Civic-X group (they know Iā€™m just an attendee, not an organizer).

Staff is same as before, just as friendly and knowledgeable but reservations lady not back on duty yet. New owners now is all, Tennessee Valley Authority.
Honda Civic 10th gen Wake the Dragon 2020 - Event & Registration Information **New dates Aug 21-23** 0AA2D58E-D355-44D8-A26B-2A51C20AA8F6

As someone here said once before...

If you hear banjo music gettinā€™ louder better paddle faster downstream!
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.