Wake the Dragon 2020 - Event & Registration Information **New dates Aug 21-23**

Status
Not open for further replies.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
*** Postponed until August 21-23 2020 ***

------

Event Updates - 3/16/20

• A new date for the event has been selected, the weekend of August 21-23.
  • If you wish to keep your old reservation for any reason, please reply to this post ASAP stating that you wish to keep your reservation. Anyone that does not opt out will have their reservation transferred to the new date by a resort staff member. This will save lots of time and effort from all involved.
  • If you are not able to make the new date and would like to request that your registration fee be refunded, please email us at [email protected] with your PayPal transaction ID from your payment receipt and we are happy to take care of that.
  • Some group members have expressed interest in donating their registration fee toward group member Michelle Thompson's fight against a brain tumor. If you reply here requesting to donate your registration fee, I will make that happen. Even if you still plan on coming, this option is available as you can always pay the registration fee at a later date. If you'd prefer to donate directly, that can be done here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/dqadj2-michelles-fight
  • The new cut-off date for registration is 8/1/2020.
------

Wake the Dragon 2020, presented by @KTuner

After another great event in 2019, it is almost time to head back to the world famous Tail of the Dragon and have some more fun!

Dates: August 21-23 2020 (Friday - Sunday)
Host: Fontana Village Resort in Fontana Dam, NC (http://www.fontanavillage.com/)
Event Registration Cost: $20.00/person
Registration Deadline: August 1, 2020
Event Sponsors: @KTuner, @procivic, @ACUITY, @PRL Motorsports, @RV6, @Two Step Performance, @Suma Performance, @HybridRacing, 27WON, Competition Clutch, and AWE Tuning. The CivicX.com administration has also made a supporting donation.

What does the registration fee cover?
  • A catered meal Saturday night. It will be a "Backyard BBQ" themed buffet. (Vegetarian plates are available by request)
  • Car show entry with awards voted on by attendees. There will be divisions including the 10th gen Honda Civic sedan, coupe, hatchback, and Type R. There will also be a division for the coolest "party crasher", eligible to attendees that bring a vehicle other than a 10th gen Civic.
  • Product giveaway raffle entries
  • Event t-shirt (If you register after 8/1/20 I cannot guarantee you will receive a t-shirt!)
  • Maps, etc
This is only possible thanks to the support we have had from our event sponsors. Please show your gratitude to all of our event sponsors!

----

Our tentative schedule is as follows:

Thursday:
AM: (no events planned)
PM: Small group drives across Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon)

Friday:
AM: Various drives being planned, look for more details soon.
PM: Meet & Greet / Event Check-In at Fontana Village (This is the "official" start of the event)

Saturday:
AM:
  • Group Photo
  • Main drive across Deal's Gap and the Cherohala Skyway, stop for lunch midway
PM:
  • Car show (Everyone in attendance is encouraged to show off their car. Awards are given based on votes from each registrant) / Vendor Expo
  • "Banquet" (group meal where we also give out prizes) (Banquet makes things sound strangely formal. The facility and catering team will all be very nice but this is a t-shirt and shorts event for most)
Sunday: (no events planned)

----
Did someone say door prizes?
  • Thanks to our sponsors, we will have a great assortment of door prizes. Attendees can look forward to the opportunity of winning one of our many other prizes!
  • Everyone that signs up will be issued tickets for door prizes.
Room Reservations
  • Lodging expenses at the Fontana Village Resort will be the responsibility of the attendees but we have negotiated a special price for the weekend.
  • To receive our special rate please call 800-849-2258 and reference "Civic Owner's Group". We have reserved a limited number of rooms and this rate is good for a limited time only! Once those are gone it will be first come, first serve for remaining rooms at the resort.
  • In addition to "traditional" hotel style rooms they also have various cabins available on the property that can be rented, if desired.

Sign-up Information
Total people registered so far: 173
Last updated 3/16/20

Honda Civic 10th gen Wake the Dragon 2020 - Event & Registration Information **New dates Aug 21-23** image
Sponsored

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wake the Dragon 2020, presented by @KTuner

After another great event in 2019, it is almost time to head back to the world famous Tail of the Dragon and have some more fun!

image.png

Dates: April 3-5 2020 (Friday - Sunday)
Host: Fontana Village Resort in Fontana Dam, NC (http://www.fontanavillage.com/)
Event Registration Cost: $20.00/person
Registration Deadline: March 15, 2019
Event Sponsors: @KTuner, @procivic, @ACUITY, @PRL Motorsports, @RV6, @Two Step Performance, @Suma Performance, and @HybridRacing. The CivicX.com administration has also made a supporting donation.

What does the registration fee cover?
  • A catered meal Saturday night. It will be a "Backyard BBQ" themed buffet. (Vegetarian plates are available by request)
  • Car show entry with awards voted on by attendees. There will be divisions including the 10th gen Honda Civic sedan, coupe, hatchback, and Type R. There will also be a division for the coolest "party crasher", eligible to attendees that bring a vehicle other than a 10th gen Civic.
  • Product giveaway raffle entries
  • Event t-shirt (If you register after 3/15/20 I cannot guarantee you will receive a t-shirt!)
  • Maps, etc
This is only possible thanks to the support we have had from our event sponsors. Please show your gratitude to all of our event sponsors!

----

Our tentative schedule is as follows:

Thursday:
AM: (no events planned)
PM: Small group drives across Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon)

Friday:
AM: Various drives being planned, look for more details soon.
PM: Meet & Greet / Event Check-In at Fontana Village (This is the "official" start of the event)

Saturday:
AM:
  • Group Photo
  • Main drive across Deal's Gap and the Cherohala Skyway, stop for lunch midway
PM:
  • Car show (Everyone in attendance is encouraged to show off their car. Awards are given based on votes from each registrant) / Vendor Expo
  • "Banquet" (group meal where we also give out prizes) (Banquet makes things sound strangely formal. The facility and catering team will all be very nice but this is a t-shirt and shorts event for most)
Sunday: (no events planned)

----
Did someone say door prizes?
  • Thanks to our sponsors, we will have a great assortment of door prizes. Attendees can look forward to the opportunity of winning one of our many other prizes!
  • Everyone that signs up will be issued tickets for door prizes.
Room Reservations
  • Lodging expenses at the Fontana Village Resort will be the responsibility of the attendees but we have negotiated a special price for the weekend.
  • To receive our special rate please call 800-849-2258 and reference "Civic Owner's Group". We have reserved a limited number of rooms and this rate is good for a limited time only! Once those are gone it will be first come, first serve for remaining rooms at the resort.
  • In addition to "traditional" hotel style rooms they also have various cabins available on the property that can be rented, if desired.

Sign-up Information
  • Sign up is completed in two parts. First complete the form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeLGPwnsFOg9zse7mJPLy0WaHdTdWoHUEoeVzkTZRZinAELBA/viewform
  • Registration fees can be paid via PayPal using the below link. Anyone that wants to attend our catered meal and have an opportunity for door prizes needs to register. (spouses, guests, ect) (The link defaults to a single $20 payment for one spot, but if you need to pay for more than one person you can adjust it to $00, etc.)
  • Payment Link: www.paypal.me/wakethedragoncivicx/20
  • Once your payment is received we will add you to the list of those that have registered, as shown below. Please note this list is updated every couple of days, do not worry if you name does not immediately appear on the list. :)
Registered Attendees
  1. 360glitch (Corey)
Last updated 2/7/2020
@360glitch no youth sizes this year, Corey? Just asking... I got Jenny Youth Larges last year that fit her fine. Menā€™s small would to too not-small.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Navy has kept me away from this for many years. Back when I had an 8th Gen I had hoped to make this several times. This just may be my year.
I hear that. This is my last year on shore duty and Iā€™m relatively close... so I figured Iā€™d go again. I doubt Iā€™ll make it for the next few and by then, my CivicX days may be done.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Iā€™m in. Now to get the time off work

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This sounds amazing. I'm not the most sociable type though I've been to cars and coffee and have had a good time talking to people about their/my car.

On the registration page it asks about your driving style, like calm easy going/sightseeing all the way to aggressive. I'm guessing their definition of aggressive is driving like an asshole, tail gating, cutting people off etc. And not hitting/powering through corners. Guess I'll just pick the option in the very middle?

Are there any tracks nearby to really run our cars out?

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Registered! Hopefully I can get my old 2015 Si wheels powder coated and remounted before the event, Iā€™d like to avoid using the all-season tires that came with the car, and theyā€™re too new to replace. Iā€™m also thinking about the 27WON big brake kit, would this be a good idea?

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Registered! Hopefully I can get my old 2015 Si wheels powder coated and remounted before the event, Iā€™d like to avoid using the all-season tires that came with the car, and theyā€™re too new to replace. Iā€™m also thinking about the 27WON big brake kit, would this be a good idea?
We ran the dragon on all seasons the first year, and we definitely felt hindered! Would recommend bringing wheels with better tires if you're coming from a snowy climate. Much more fun to be had on better shoes.

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We ran the dragon on all seasons the first year, and we definitely felt hindered! Would recommend bringing wheels with better tires if you're coming from a snowy climate. Much more fun to be had on better shoes.
Thanks PRL! I loved your 9th gen turbo kit a LOT. I wish I still had that Si, but bad drivers said otherwise. I was luckily able to keep the OEM wheels from that car, with some nice Pirelli P Zero Nero GT shoes.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This sounds amazing. I'm not the most sociable type though I've been to cars and coffee and have had a good time talking to people about their/my car.

On the registration page it asks about your driving style, like calm easy going/sightseeing all the way to aggressive. I'm guessing their definition of aggressive is driving like an asshole, tail gating, cutting people off etc. And not hitting/powering through corners. Guess I'll just pick the option in the very middle?

Are there any tracks nearby to really run our cars out?
The driving style is for how you plan to do the dragon. There will be a different group for each style. If youā€™ve never done it, start slow and move up as you feel more comfortable.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The driving style is for how you plan to do the dragon. There will be a different group for each style. If youā€™ve never done it, start slow and move up as you feel more comfortable.
Ohh haha. I first thought if I selected aggressive they wouldn't want me to come.

I've got some good backroads around where I live that I drive, weather permitting, multiple times a week so I have a pretty solid perspective on how the car handles. The only time things get hairy is a tight double S turn through changing elevations with drastic weight shifts. Luckily this car is very easy to correct. If it does understeer the rear brakes intervene and swing it around. If it over steers and the rear gets away it's just a slight counter steer and increase in throttle and it straightens right out.

Now if it's wet/raining it's a different story and you can't carry as much speed through turns.

@PRL Motorsports any chance you guys will have a working prototype of your fk8 drop in turbo to showcase? I'm buying one either way but would be cool to check out in person.

Last edited:

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Ohh haha. I first thought if I selected aggressive they wouldn't want me to come.

I've got some good backroads around where I live that I drive, weather permitting, multiple times a week so I have a pretty solid perspective on how the car handles. The only time things get hairy is a tight double S turn through changing elevations with drastic weight shifts. Luckily this car is very easy to correct. If it does understeer the rear brakes intervene and swing it around. If it over steers and the rear gets away it's just a slight counter steer and increase in throttle and it straightens right out.

Now if it's wet/raining it's a different story and you can't carry as much speed through turns.

@PRL Motorsports any chance you guys will have a working prototype of your fk8 drop in turbo to showcase? I'm buying one either way but would be cool to check out in person.
We will probably not have a prototype available for display at that time, if we do though we will be sure to bring it along!

Hopefully we have something (even if it's a 3D printed model) for the 1.5T Inlet pipe :)

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good points DJ, going anyway for the camaraderie, views, and on &off street fun.

Just registered after submitting app and paid, then realized I left off my username. A pm from organizers will get response, some peopleā€™s kids.

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Good points DJ, going anyway for the camaraderie, views, and on &off street fun.

Just registered after submitting app and paid, then realized I left off my username. A pm from organizers will get response, some peopleā€™s kids.
I deleted my post. No need to rain on other's parade.

Have fun & be safe!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.