Wait for CTR or place an order on.........right now.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Did some research, base 2018 CTR should cost around 35k base, but plus mark-up(you know they will). It will easily cost over 40k. I'm looking for a replacement for my 12 year old m3 with 110k miles which I still floor it whenever I had a chance on the freeway since my commute route is against traffic for 50 miles freeway only. I'm also considering the RS and the M2. The loaded RS can be had for 39k without mark-up. Mid 2017 Euro delivery M2 is just over 50k. My buddy just leased a STI and is getting pull-over everyday for no reason. I don't want that .... I need a car that I can have fun, go fast without the unnecessary attention. What are your thoughts ?
Sponsored

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Focus RS will probably be a good choice. The CTR is going to look very flashy and will attract attention. Also the Focus has awd. I love honda, I own the Hatch and the Sedan, but if I was trying to spend upwards of 30k, it wouldnt be on a fwd car. Just my opinion.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Lots of factors,

Is this your daily driver? Do you live anywhere where you might need AWD?

All the cars you listed are great choices. If money isn't a factor I would get the M2. However if you think the CTRs markup will be bad the M2 markup is ridiculous.

I drive pretty aggressive usually about 10 or so over. Had a Subaru WRX STi in world Rally blue with gold wheels and was never pulled over once.

Personally I think the Type R is the best value and will be more rare than the RS.

Like I said before you can't go wrong with any of those choices

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
If you want stealthy, get the Golf R - same price range (as the STI, CTR, etc.) but looks almost exactly as any other Golf...
(Almost bought it last year myself, but got last-minute cold feet because of reliability concerns. But if you're considering BMW, then long-term reliability is probably not at the top of your list of concerns... :))

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
Where I live, getting pulled over in anything like those choices rarely happens unless its super justified, ie; racing. In looks the Type R definitely takes the cake.. Actually it takes the cake in literally every aspect except for the fact it will be FWD. IMO. Interior, exterior, and performance. They have the upper hand especially since the rest of the hot hatches have already been released. Also you gotta narrow down your list more. An m2? mixed in with hatches? I don't think that would be a smart choice IMO. If you want something now, definitely go with the RS.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Here is a crazy idea. Before you buy something, wait until there is actually something to buy. Blows my mind that someone would drop $35,000 on a prototype vehicle. Yes, it will eventually get here, but until that day happens, no way in hell would I consider giving money to a dealership.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
Here is a crazy idea. Before you buy something, wait until there is actually something to buy. Blows my mind that someone would drop $35,000 on a prototype vehicle. Yes, it will eventually get here, but until that day happens, no way in hell would I consider giving money to a dealership.
There's nearly a half million of us idiots who preordered the new Tesla, sight unseen. But, as Jobs said, "Here's to the crazy ones."

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I never dreamed of having a Type R until a year ago, so ya, it's kinda a big deal.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
There's nearly a half million of us idiots who preordered the new Tesla, sight unseen. But, as Jobs said, "Here's to the crazy ones."
-not to mention, theres LOTS more known about the T3 than the CTR.

BKTMKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic Si
To each their own!
Totally get what you are saying. And I agree to a certain extent. I am being cautiously optimistic but somewhat realistic. I definitely have a price range and will not be purchasing it if the cost is ridiculous. That's of course if I ever get the chance to purchase....I just wish we had a lot more information on it than a lot of misinformation from the dealerships.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Totally get what you are saying. And I agree to a certain extent. I am being cautiously optimistic but somewhat realistic. I definitely have a price range and will not be purchasing it if the cost is ridiculous. That's of course if I ever get the chance to purchase....I just wish we had a lot more information on it than a lot of misinformation from the dealerships.
Sorry, I would have responded sooner but was too busy clicking all of these awesome ads wondering what the groom thought when they saw their bride in her dress.

I am on board with the R as much as everyone else. I'm sure it will be a fantastic car and I can't wait for it to hit the tracks. I will own one some day, once the dust settles.

I'm just not understanding the folks who are walking into a dealership and attempting to buy the product before it's even a product. The dealerships haven't a clue about the car, the enthusiasts barely know anything about the car, and the price is unknown. Hell, what if the dealerships have to be certified to even sell the car, but they don't know that yet!? What if the 2.0 R engine and the R chassis is so exclusive, dealerships will need special trained techs to sell, deliver, and service the vehicle? -yet a dealership was happy enough to take a deposit on the car. This isn't uncommon with Honda in other countries and they are doing it with the NSX.

It must be a salesman's wet dream to have someone in your face who wants to buy something so bad that the product isn't even available yet consumers are willing to put money on it. -no price, no availability, no details, nothing.

The Tesla model 3 isn't a real comparison. We knew a price, a halfway decent availability format, and what to expect from the car. The consumer knew quite a bit about the car before they spent $1000 on it.

Again, to each their own. I'm going back to the clickbait sites.

Last edited:

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
^same thing I was thinking

please tell me some of you put down a refundable deposit for your spot?

BKTMKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic Si
^same thing I was thinking

please tell me some of you put down a refundable deposit for your spot?
I would hope that any sizeable deposit someone puts down is a refundable deposit.....When I was asked for a $3K deposit, I didn't even ask if it was refundable (I just ignored the request). Now I'm wondering if it would have been......
Sponsored