Digity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport-16 Pilot-90 K5 Blazer
Country flag
Anyone running W1 turbo along with basic bolt ons on a non si motor?

Also opinions on whether or not to do it. Would love to do this but wondering if I should not for reliability reasons.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yes, many people are. I'm considering it myself.

As long as you're properly tuned to limit low end torque I don't think you have much to worry about reliability wise. But like many things in life, no guarantees. You'll definitely need a clutch at some point if manual transmission. If you're CVT, all the more important to play nicely with torque.

As to whether it's worth it, depends how you drive. If you're a city driver who shifts early and rarely runs out high RPM, probably not worth the low end torque loss for top end power.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
With all the blown W1 I've been seeing lately I wouldn't buy it. Wait for W2 or RV6, if you must have a hybrid turbo now then buy a Pure450 from Two Step Performance, if you have the money then I would just skip the hybrid turbo and go for the PRL kits with actual big turbos.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
With all the blown W1 I've been seeing lately I wouldn't buy it. Wait for W2 or RV6, if you must have a hybrid turbo now then buy a Pure450 from Two Step Performance, if you have the money then I would just skip the hybrid turbo and go for the PRL kits with actual big turbos.
Do you have links on these blown turbos? Haven't heard much about that here.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you have links on these blown turbos? Haven't heard much about that here.
Seen then lately on the 10th gen fb page and some W1 owners on Instagram.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Think I've seen a total of about 7 blown W1 turbos. Only 3 from non-Si and 2 of them were from the same person. I have a feeling that incorrect install was to blame for the same person blowing up their turbo within a day of installing it both times.

I'm running the w1 on mine with fbo on e85 blend custom tune from Drob. Think 15 months so far with no issues and mind you this is even on the CVT.

With some of these blown W1s on the Si, I would like to know how much boost they pushing and how they are driving and maintaining their vehicles.

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Think I've seen a total of about 7 blown W1 turbos. Only 3 from non-Si and 2 of them were from the same person. I have a feeling that incorrect install was to blame for the same person blowing up their turbo within a day of installing it both times.

I'm running the w1 on mine with fbo on e85 blend custom tune from Drob. Think 15 months so far with no issues and mind you this is even on the CVT.

With some of these blown W1s on the Si, I would like to know how much boost they pushing and how they are driving and maintaining their vehicles.
Maintenance is the key here. When cranking up the boost oil changes should be done frequently and also probably better to be using a good 5w30 instead of 0w20. Also if you are using a turbo outside its efficiency range it will decrease the durability. From people I know who have the w1, I havent seen or heard of any issues. Been considering either getting that or the ball bearing version of the w2 when it releases

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As to whether it's worth it, depends how you drive. If you're a city driver who shifts early and rarely runs out high RPM, probably not worth the low end torque loss for top end power.
A really key point there. We had a guy that switched to the W1 who was upset he wasn't seeing big off the line gains. Before you invest in anything, it's always good to know what you're getting. :cool:

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Yeah I seen those. I think it's a hit or miss, some have blown the turbo even with a good tune from drob, even he has mentioned that they have thrust washer issues. At this point I think its better to just wait for the W2

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah I seen those. I think it's a hit or miss, some have blown the turbo even with a good tune from drob, even he has mentioned that they have thrust washer issues. At this point I think its better to just wait for the W2
The trouble is the W2 is not going to be a great fit for the majority of people looking for a drop in turbo. Too much lost bottom end unless you have a built block. What I'm really hoping for is for that R&D to trickle down into an improved W1 v2.

Reactions: Myx

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A really key point there. We had a guy that switched to the W1 who was upset he wasn't seeing big off the line gains. Before you invest in anything, it's always good to know what you're getting. :cool:
This is expected. you don't feel the power start to come in until 4k RPM with a TD04 hybrid or anything similar like Pure450. The stock turbo will just punch you in the face with all that power right at around 3k RPM

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The trouble is the W2 is not going to be a great fit for the majority of people looking for a drop in turbo. Too much lost bottom end unless you have a built block. What I'm really hoping for is for that R&D to trickle down into an improved W1 v2.
This is true, even something like a TD04 like W1 and Pure450 feels like a big change in loss of bottom end grunt, on the other hand, losing some bottom end power and making the same power at lower boost pressure can save your engine.

OP
OP

Digity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Appreciate the feedback. I don’t do much city driving. Mostly freeway driving(commuter). And even set the cruise control at 65-70. Would love the extra power for when I do jump on it occasionally. Sound like I should be fine so long as I’m not racing around often.

Is there a projected month for the W2 and is that a drop in as well. I’ll have check out there website

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport manual
Country flag
I have the 27won turbo with full bolt ons, e85 and custom tune from Drob on my 17 fk7.

Like some of the others were saying the loss of low-end torque sucks. But I shift early and just putt around when I'm running errands so I think it's the way I drive that makes me dislike the turbo.

Also keep in mind Drob doesn't raise the red line for non Si motors. So my power band is 4000 to 6500. It's hard for me to keep it in that sweet spot (I probably suck at shifting) and even when I do the tires brake loose. That's with 245 45 17 pilot super sports and the Si limited slip.

I'm probably going to buy a used si turbo at some point and swap to that.

OP
OP

Digity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What about the td03 there site claims to spool quickly like stock so does that mean not as much low end torque loss as the W1?

anyone here running this one on a non si?
Sponsored