W1 Turbo Alarming Failure Rate

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
A lot of smaller companies tend to have shorter warranties because the manufacturing of their parts is outsourced, and they just put them together. I wouldn't expect a W1 to have the reliability of a Garrett, Borg Warner, etc... It's interesting to me that the housing cracking seems to come up frequently. Safe to say that it is a pretty common problem.
Sponsored

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
just curious on why they did a 1 year warranty? like it is extremely obvious people were going to push it hard. i hope they do at least a 3 year warranty on the W2.
Considering the fact that when you push your OEM turbo by tuning it you won’t get any warranty at all from the dealer, I ’d say it’s pretty decent

_1slowsi_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Si
Country flag
Considering the fact that when you push your OEM turbo by tuning it you won’t get any warranty at all from the dealer, I ’d say it’s pretty decent
Upgrading the turbo you would expect it to last a bit longer than 1 year lol since its considered "aftermarket" ..... High hopes for the W2 lol

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Upgrading the turbo you would expect it to last a bit longer than 1 year lol since its considered "aftermarket" ..... High hopes for the W2 lol
I would honestly go for the W2 instead.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello,

My apologies for the lack of response. I was just informed of this thread today. I believe a few of you emailed me about this and that is how I found this. I get tagged in a lot of things and miss some from time to time so my bad. Things have been super busy here. I'm out of the office right now but I want to get back to this and address some of your questions so I'm making this post as a note to myself. There is alot of assumptions on things that I can clear up. Short answer is anyone with a W1 has nothing to worry about and should you have any issues will always get it taken care of.

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought my w1 second hand here on the forums. Original owner had it for 1.5 years and put 8k miles on it. I’ve had it for 7 months put over 10k miles and 3 track days in south Florida heat. Custom tuned by drob as soon as I installed the turbo. Just adding my personal experience.

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I bought my w1 second hand here on the forums. Original owner had it for 1.5 years and put 8k miles on it. I’ve had it for 7 months put over 10k miles and 3 track days in south Florida heat. Custom tuned by drob as soon as I installed the turbo. Just adding my personal experience.
Love seeing fellow south Floridians on the forum! ✊?
if you ever need another tune, you should check out JaviTuned on Instagram - he tunes a ton of 10th gens around the area.
he also thinks the W1 is the best turbo for the platform. He put it above PRL’s. That was also before the W2 though.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m blocked out of buying a W1 because there are no tunes for the non-Si cars yet. I was super upset but hearing this is making me reconsider
We always suggest getting a custom tune. A basemap is to get you started and going not something to drive on for years.
I would say both. The turbo is *probably* more reliable as it uses a similar CHRA to the W1 but beefier castings so it has more support all around and better cooling. Time will tell.

On the motor side, bigger turbo = spool later in the RPM so it'll save low end torque from killing the rods. At the expense of significant lag.
By its very design of being larger and thicker yes a W2 would be more durable overall. That being said since its original inception the W1 has gone under minor revisions and updates batch to batch as we learn and see things.

Jrmybrtn

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I installed the w1 over the weekend. Easy install. Almost had some issues. the wastegate actuator got jammed from the swap over. Got it figured out though. It is unreal how much the car is different with the w1. I’m currently running the base map ethanol tune from hondata. I plan on getting custom tuned from javituned in the next few weeks.
Love seeing fellow south Floridians on the forum! ✊?
if you ever need another tune, you should check out JaviTuned on Instagram - he tunes a ton of 10th gens around the area.
he also thinks the W1 is the best turbo for the platform. He put it above PRL’s. That was also before the W2 though.
Redcivic19x not sure of what part of south Florida your from but do you know of any meets down here?

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I installed the w1 over the weekend. Easy install. Almost had some issues. the wastegate actuator got jammed from the swap over. Got it figured out though. It is unreal how much the car is different with the w1. I’m currently running the base map ethanol tune from hondata. I plan on getting custom tuned from javituned in the next few weeks.

Redcivic19x not sure of what part of south Florida your from but do you know of any meets down here?
I’m near the west palm area. Besides cars and coffees on the last Sunday of every month, most of them tend to be pop-up meets. I used to be in a car club down here that did meets all the time, but only like the same 10 people showed up and it was more of a younger and immature crowd so I got out. I’d follow the Instagram pages around south Florida - Clean culture, street jukes, low n’ clean, slammed, etc. that’s how I find the pop-up ones.

Jrmybrtn

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I’m near the west palm area. Besides cars and coffees on the last Sunday of every month, most of them tend to be pop-up meets. I used to be in a car club down here that did meets all the time, but only like the same 10 people showed up and it was more of a younger and immature crowd so I got out. I’d follow the Instagram pages around south Florida - Clean culture, street jukes, low n’ clean, slammed, etc. that’s how I find the pop-up ones.
I’m also in west Palm. Ok I’ll look up those. Are you talking about cars and coffee in Palm beach lakes outlets l?

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m also in west Palm. Ok I’ll look up those. Are you talking about cars and coffee in Palm beach lakes outlets l?
Dude nice! And yep!

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That’s whats up Ive been meaning to check that out.
Cars and coffee is more of an overall meet where like spectators and families come out. If you’re in to the smaller meets, then you’ll find them on ig.
but there are some bad ass cars at C&C
Sponsored