mandofc3

First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si coupe
Country flag
I’ve been running the W1 fbo on e35 tuned by @dramatuned and making around 325-331hp for the past year and over 3k miles and I had zero problems, I did have to change the oil gasket underneath the turbo because it went bad.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I’ve been running the W1 fbo on e35 tuned by @dramatuned and making around 325-331hp for the past year and over 3k miles and I had zero problems, I did have to change the oil gasket underneath the turbo because it went bad.
Is that the little gasket on the oil return line?

Jrmybrtn

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
this these is very interesting. I have had my W1 on for 1500 miles and have had zero issues with it. I’m FBO, upgraded clutch, FFK, etc. and also tuned by a well known tuner in south Florida and just figured I’d share the thoughts about the W1 that my tuner told me to shed some light on this situation.
According to him he’s tuned a ton of W1’s and PRL big turbo kits. He personally said he think W1, as of right now, is the best turbo for these cars. I asked for a conservative tune and made 307/293 on E38/93. He mentioned that the power band and torque curve for the W1’s is really solid. And he also mentioned that he’s seen W1’s consistently best prl big turbo kit because the lag on their turbo setups is incredibly noticeable. Yes it makes more HP, but it takes longer to achieve it.
ive known people that blew their W1’s but each time it’s been because they are using rolling anti lag and really beating on their car or don’t have the proper mods to handle the extra power. I’m happy with my W1 and the HP it cranks out. Sucks for people that blew theirs, but 9 times out of 10 there’s usually more to the story than “I just blew my turbo”.
Hope this helps!

*Edit - I should also throw in there that if you plan on upgrading and get a tune that puts the car close to 300 hp then I’d suggest bumping your oil up to 5w-30 which is strongly recommended if you increase horesepower by 50% or running ethanol blend. I believe 27won has a blog post about it.
I’m also in south Florida and I am about to be looking to get custom tuned anyway I can get your tuners info?

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Just to add to this thread. My friends W1 cracked, happened pretty early into his ownership only he did not know it was cracked. Knock Control just spiked a bit and it got worse over time until Rodney added a new window to his block. I know off hand a few others so DRobs statement doesn't surprise me if that many are failing.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wtf, and I recently got the w1, I mean the 1 year warranty is sus, cause seems failures would occur as soon as that 1 year warranty is over. Fk fk I literally spent almost 2k cad for that turbo with shipping and all the import fees. @Vlad@27WON wtf man
Best thing you can do for longevity is to get a custom tune. Watch your temps, and make sure you stay on top of your oil levels. A lot of heat lives that area where the turbo is, venting the hood could definitely help in my opinion.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm tuned by drob and John vega , those two are the best tuners for this platform, which temperature to monitor? The ECT is the only temp I can see on ktuner?
How are you tuned by both lol? I would monitor coolant, intake air temps, and oil temps+pressure. The oil temp and pressure would require you add the sensors and gauges of course but it is all good info to know especially if you drive the car hard or track it.

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wtf, and I recently got the w1, I mean the 1 year warranty is sus, cause seems failures would occur as soon as that 1 year warranty is over. Fk fk I literally spent almost 2k cad for that turbo with shipping and all the import fees. @Vlad@27WON wtf man
Has your W1 failed?

They’ve fixed w1s bought 2nd hand already damaged out of warranty.
they seem to be much more understanding.

deitle

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I personally had 2 w1's fail on me before I upgraded to a gtx2867r, one blew the exhaust wheel apart and the other seemed to have failed at the bearings. Vincent replaced my turbo after the first incident but I didn't bother with the second one.

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally had 2 w1's fail on me before I upgraded to a gtx2867r, one blew the exhaust wheel apart and the other seemed to have failed at the bearings. Vincent replaced my turbo after the first incident but I didn't bother with the second one.
What kind of power were you making ?
Driving conditions ?

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What kind of power were you making ?
Driving conditions ?
Also interested in this response. Everyone I’ve known that has blown W1 turbos really beats on their car a lot, doesn’t have proper mods for proper power, and does things like rolling anti-lag which we all know is terrible over time for the turbos.
I’m not going to lie, it makes me nervous that Vince or anyone from 27won hasn’t popped in to this thread at all to clarify anything even though they’ve been tagged multiple times.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I’m not going to lie, it makes me nervous that Vince or anyone from 27won hasn’t popped in to this thread at all to clarify anything even though they’ve been tagged multiple times.
Likewise. I know they stand behind their stuff strongly so I'm not sure why not here. I already bought a W1 so I am going to (responsibly) send it and see what happens.

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Likewise. I know they stand behind their stuff strongly so I'm not sure why not here. I already bought a W1 so I am going to (responsibly) send it and see what happens.
Yea that’s part of the reason why I started buying their parts. I loved reading all their blog posts for R&D and how well connected they seem to this community. I’m sure their busy and all, but if I saw a thread like this I’d want to jump in and at least say SOMETHING.
ive been sending it responsibly for almost 2k miles now and have had zero issues. But I also don’t bear on my car often and if I do pulls or spirited driving it’s usually not for prolonged periods of time. At the end of the day it’s still my DD so I try not to act like an idiot with it.
Sponsored