Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually asked around and they said it was a journal bearing on the R365. I could be wrong
I could be mistaken. There was mention in the beta thread, but it may have been a future iteration
Sponsored

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know people with a lot of mileage on their w1s. Mine has been on for 300 miles.

im looking for close to 300whp and no plans to go flex fuel. realistically for me probably 280 on 92 And I am happy with that.
if you’re looking at over 300 into the 330+ I think even though the w1 is well and capable of that power that maybe it might not be able to handle that with abuse over a period of time.

it would be better to run a prl turbo kit then.
speaking entirely on what I’ve seen here and social media.
i will contribute when I have more miles on the turbo.

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I know people with a lot of mileage on their w1s. Mine has been on for 300 miles.

im looking for close to 300whp and no plans to go flex fuel. realistically for me probably 280 on 92 And I am happy with that.
if you’re looking at over 300 into the 330+ I think even though the w1 is well and capable of that power that maybe it might not be able to handle that with abuse over a period of time.

it would be better to run a prl turbo kit then.
speaking entirely on what I’ve seen here and social media.
i will contribute when I have more miles on the turbo.
this these is very interesting. I have had my W1 on for 1500 miles and have had zero issues with it. I’m FBO, upgraded clutch, FFK, etc. and also tuned by a well known tuner in south Florida and just figured I’d share the thoughts about the W1 that my tuner told me to shed some light on this situation.
According to him he’s tuned a ton of W1’s and PRL big turbo kits. He personally said he think W1, as of right now, is the best turbo for these cars. I asked for a conservative tune and made 307/293 on E38/93. He mentioned that the power band and torque curve for the W1’s is really solid. And he also mentioned that he’s seen W1’s consistently best prl big turbo kit because the lag on their turbo setups is incredibly noticeable. Yes it makes more HP, but it takes longer to achieve it.
ive known people that blew their W1’s but each time it’s been because they are using rolling anti lag and really beating on their car or don’t have the proper mods to handle the extra power. I’m happy with my W1 and the HP it cranks out. Sucks for people that blew theirs, but 9 times out of 10 there’s usually more to the story than “I just blew my turbo”.
Hope this helps!

*Edit - I should also throw in there that if you plan on upgrading and get a tune that puts the car close to 300 hp then I’d suggest bumping your oil up to 5w-30 which is strongly recommended if you increase horesepower by 50% or running ethanol blend. I believe 27won has a blog post about it.

Last edited:

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
A BB W2 will be hard to beat, they basically negated the disadvantage of the W2 having more lag by making it spool faster with BB while still having the top end flow of W2
Does a ball bearing allow the turbo to spool noticeably earlier in the rpm range, or just spool faster once it starts? I was looking at the w1 because of the fat powerband but this thread is scaring me :oops:

Arrowspeed

First Name
Khuram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T
Country flag
After emailing back and forth with DRob from IMW i heard some extremely shocking news. I was discussing power goals as I am going to be getting tuned later on by him in person, and as we were talking about turbos he said he has personally seen 50-60% of the W1 turbos fail. They "kill the thrust washer, crack the exhaust housing, or physically eject part of the exhuast wheel" in the instances he has seen. I'm not incredibly literate on what this means but for figured the community would find this interesting knowledge. For those that have the W1, whats your tune looking like and how do you feel about this?
True... I 2nd it, a very close acquaintance of mine having two times failure so he switched to Garret.

krychek57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, 00 Honda ST1100, 15 Yamaha 6R
Country flag
I love how these reports of blown turbos are all second (third?) hand.
Good conversation though!

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Does a ball bearing allow the turbo to spool noticeably earlier in the rpm range, or just spool faster once it starts? I was looking at the w1 because of the fat powerband but this thread is scaring me :oops:
From what I gather is that a BB turbo will have less rolling/spinning resistance so yes that should mean it should be able to spool quicker than a journal bearing version of the same exact turbo

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Vincent has said the BB version of the W2 will spool about 300rpm sooner than the current version.
Sponsored