VW Buybacker with some Questions

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX Manual 2016
Country flag
I really appreciate the input everyone! Does anyone have any opinions on the 2015 EX vs the 2016 LX?
The 2015 EX have the R18 1.8L and the 2016 LX has a 2.0L with a bit more power and is more efficient. Also with the 2016 you have wider tires and better suspension/chassis. If it was me I would pay a small extra and go with a 2016.
Sponsored

tdhart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm no expert on hondas, but I believe the new body style came in 2016, so a 2015 would be "old". May not mean anything to you, but I figured that if I'm gonna drop that kind of money on a car, I might as well be as current as possible.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL
Hello all, this is my first post here on the forum! I have a buyback appointment with VW on 1/27 for them to purchase my 2011 Jetta TDI, and I am pretty set on getting a Civic. I'll be getting about $16.5K for my car, so I'm looking to stay right around that range for a new one. In my area, I can get either a 2015 Civic EX or a 2016 Civic LX for that price. What would you all recommend? Is the new body style worth getting a base model over a 2015 EX?

In a perfect world I would splurge and get a 2016 EX, but not sure how likely that will be. Sound quality is somewhat important to me; 2016 LX owners, is the 4 speaker system sufficient for you? Also, are you able to skip tracks using steering wheel controls for bluetooth audio?

Thank you for any and all input you have for me regarding my future purchase! I'm excited to join the Civic community soon.
FYI, I also am selling my TDI back to VW, but do NOT assume that the buyback will occur on the day they initially told you it will. My buyback was supposed to happen on 15 Dec... it didn't. They have had all my documentation since 22 Nov. and it is all correct, but they have still not mailed me the packet (step 14 in the process, as per their website) which I need to sign/have notarized and send back. I still owe a little on my TDI, and from what I've read on TDI forums, it's those cars whose owners are still making payments that for some reason are taking a long time to process.

I finally just parked my TDI on my VW dealer's lot (with his permission, for free) and bought my 2017 Civic Touring sedan. Love it. Not getting the mpgs I should be yet, but hoping it gets better. Still have not heard anything from VW (after I called them a month ago double checking that they are not waiting on anything from me).

Oh, and you said something like you hope you can "manage a deal" at the dealers... I strongly advise you to do your dealmaking online, and NOT at the dealer's. That's too late and you can't pit them against other dealers. Look at some of my threads or other people's threads on how to email dealers to get them to compete against each other. I got a fantastic deal that I really don't think I would have received had I just walked in. But I echo the sentiment of those saying try and get the turbo if you can swing it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL
I got my buyback in early December. I loved my TDI and didn't want anything less in terms of power. I ended up with a new '17 Civic Touring. Whatever you end up doing, if you like the TDI's power, I wouldn't buy anything without a Turbo. I do miss my 46-48mpg![/QUO

I also miss my TDI's mpg's and power, but the Civic Touring handles sooooo much better. I can take corners faster and better than I ever could in my 2012 Passat TDI SEL. Glad you got to turn in your TDI. I'm still waiting for them to mail me the offer sheet. Ugh.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL
Think I screwed up my "reply" to tdhart. I wrote "I also miss my TDI's mpg's and power, but the Civic Touring handles sooooo much better. I can take corners faster and better than I ever could in my 2012 Passat TDI SEL. Glad you got to turn in your TDI. I'm still waiting for them to mail me the offer sheet. Ugh."

tdhart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I know what you mean, mine was a 12 Jetta, with solid rear axles. It did ok, considering what it was, but you are right. The Civic runs through the mountains of my daily commute ridiculously easily and FAR better than the TDI did. I'll probably be even happier once I wear out the stock tires and put better ones on there.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not a Buy-backer, but I had a Jetta-Wolf for 10+ years. Sold him in 2012 for a 9th gen Civic lease. When that was up, I got my 10th Gen Ex-T.

It's more fun to drive than my Wolf was, gets better mileage, and doesn't have annoying VW glitches. My VW never let me down, but it did have many annoying little things go wrong over the years. I haven't had anything wrong with my 10th that a reset of the audio system didn't cure, same with my 9th.

I've spent too much time flying planes and playing in bands to be a true connoisseur of a good audio system, but I have no complaints about my Ex-t's speakers. I like a balanced sound, so the lack of a sub isn't a big deal to me, so with the audio set to how I like it I'd put the Ex-T audio on par with the Wolf's older Harmon-Kardon system.

I don't know what your financials look like, but you might consider a lease if you are going to be making payments anyway. Honda has some pretty attractive offers right now, and they are super easy to deal with.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I really appreciate the input everyone! Does anyone have any opinions on the 2015 EX vs the 2016 LX?
according to the press, the (completely redesigned) 2016 civic is much better than the 2015 in every way. You should definetely get the 2016 if you can.

tiniwings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic EX 2017 (Aegean Blue)
Country flag

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag

17Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CRV EXL AWD; 18 CRV EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
according to the press, the (completely redesigned) 2016 civic is much better than the 2015 in every way. You should definetely get the 2016 if you can.
I prefer the 2016 redesign for both looks and features. Since you've been looking at low mileage used, I'd go with the 2016 & an EX.
Sponsored