VW Buybacker with some Questions

cmakohon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jetta TDI
Hello all, this is my first post here on the forum! I have a buyback appointment with VW on 1/27 for them to purchase my 2011 Jetta TDI, and I am pretty set on getting a Civic. I'll be getting about $16.5K for my car, so I'm looking to stay right around that range for a new one. In my area, I can get either a 2015 Civic EX or a 2016 Civic LX for that price. What would you all recommend? Is the new body style worth getting a base model over a 2015 EX?

In a perfect world I would splurge and get a 2016 EX, but not sure how likely that will be. Sound quality is somewhat important to me; 2016 LX owners, is the 4 speaker system sufficient for you? Also, are you able to skip tracks using steering wheel controls for bluetooth audio?

Thank you for any and all input you have for me regarding my future purchase! I'm excited to join the Civic community soon.
Sponsored

CosmicSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
If you can swing it, get a used Civic turbo...more features, a good stereo, lots of power and you still get over 40 mpg if you don't have a lead foot ;)

Javex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan EX WOP - Aero Kit/Wing Spoiler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What year?
I have a 2016 EX sedan. The 2015 is a different model. I know that the LX doesn't have many things that the EX has. The "turbo" ones are the EX-T and Touring. I settled for the EX because it has all that I wanted. The only EX-T future that I miss is the turbo but its not a huge difference IMO. I decided to spend the extra money on warranty, paint protection, rims and the aero kit lol.

You cant skip forward music on Bluetooth but you can skip songs. On apple play or Android auto... you can. The audio on the EX is good. Nothing crazy. I don't think the audio would be a deal breaker here. No experience on the LX models. You get a lot with the LX but I would strongly recommend jumping to the EX or EX-T. I've been really happy with my car. The only bad thing per say is the cloth material that they use in the car. Nothing horrible but it seems to get dirty or marks easily. If you have good care with your possible new car... it shouldn't be an issue. Great car overall. I test drove so many cars and I can tell you for sure that the civic is a great purchase.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP

cmakohon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jetta TDI
I have a 2016 EX sedan. The 2015 is a different model. I know that the LX doesn't have many things that the EX has. The "turbo" ones are the EX-T and Touring. I settled for the EX because it has all that I wanted. The only EX-T future that I miss is the turbo but its not a huge difference IMO. I decided to spend the extra money on warranty, paint protection, rims and the aero kit lol.

You cant skip forward music on Bluetooth but you can skip songs. On apple play or Android auto... you can. The audio on the EX is good. Nothing crazy. I don't think the audio would be a deal breaker here. No experience on the LX models. You get a lot with the LX but I would strongly recommend jumping to the EX or EX-T. I've been really happy with my car. The only bad thing per say is the cloth material that they use in the car. Nothing horrible but it seems to get dirty or marks easily. If you have good care with your possible new car... it shouldn't be an issue. Great car overall. I test drove so many cars and I can tell you for sure that the civic is a great purchase.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much for your helpful response, I really appreciate it! It does sound like the EX is worth the jump, it will just depend on what kind of deal I can get when I go to purchase. When you say that you can't skip forward music, do you mean that you can't skip forward in terms of seconds in the same song? But you can skip forward over complete songs when streaming from something like Spotify correct?

Thank you again for your help!

Javex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan EX WOP - Aero Kit/Wing Spoiler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you so much for your helpful response, I really appreciate it! It does sound like the EX is worth the jump, it will just depend on what kind of deal I can get when I go to purchase. When you say that you can't skip forward music, do you mean that you can't skip forward in terms of seconds in the same song? But you can skip forward over complete songs when streaming from something like Spotify correct?

Thank you again for your help!

No problem. I joined this forum after purchasing my car but I would of love doing what you are doing.

I am sure you can workout a deal. I will STRONGLY suggest to upgrade to the EX or EX-T.

About the skipping lol... you can't skip forward seconds on Bluetooth. I've tried spotify, soundcloud and other apps. You can change the track. If you are connected via android or apple... you can do it. you can skip forward seconds or speed up the track. back and forth. The steering control is great. The touch volume and the controllers are good. If you have an iphone is great. Having siri and all that jazz is good. One of the features that I think is underrated is the keyless entry thing. I had keyless or fobs before but the whole set up to open the car just by approaching the handle (not even pressing) and auto lock... is great. I love it.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
you're not going to get a new 2016 LX for 16,500. They go for about 19 before TT&L. You'll pay at least 21 out the door.

OP
OP

cmakohon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jetta TDI
No problem. I joined this forum after purchasing my car but I would of love doing what you are doing.

I am sure you can workout a deal. I will STRONGLY suggest to upgrade to the EX or EX-T.

About the skipping lol... you can't skip forward seconds on Bluetooth. I've tried spotify, soundcloud and other apps. You can change the track. If you are connected via android or apple... you can do it. you can skip forward seconds or speed up the track. back and forth. The steering control is great. The touch volume and the controllers are good. If you have an iphone is great. Having siri and all that jazz is good. One of the features that I think is underrated is the keyless entry thing. I had keyless or fobs before but the whole set up to open the car just by approaching the handle (not even pressing) and auto lock... is great. I love it.
Thanks for the suggestion! I am definitely going to try and go for the EX, but we'll see what happens. Thanks again for all of your detailed information, it really helps. Keyless entry does sound like a nice feature!

OP
OP

cmakohon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jetta TDI

Ceezdup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX,
Hello all, this is my first post here on the forum! I have a buyback appointment with VW on 1/27 for them to purchase my 2011 Jetta TDI, and I am pretty set on getting a Civic. I'll be getting about $16.5K for my car, so I'm looking to stay right around that range for a new one. In my area, I can get either a 2015 Civic EX or a 2016 Civic LX for that price. What would you all recommend? Is the new body style worth getting a base model over a 2015 EX?

In a perfect world I would splurge and get a 2016 EX, but not sure how likely that will be. Sound quality is somewhat important to me; 2016 LX owners, is the 4 speaker system sufficient for you? Also, are you able to skip tracks using steering wheel controls for bluetooth audio?

Thank you for any and all input you have for me regarding my future purchase! I'm excited to join the Civic community soon.

Goodluck with your buyback. I have my buyback scheduled for 2/17. Should hopefully be getting about 19500-21k for mine. Looking to get the 2017 civic hatchback. Waiting another 2-3 weeks before shopping for loans.. The the week before the buyback will go and put a hold on a hatchback.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag

In your scenario the best car to try to get in my opinion would be a lx hatchback.. You get the turbo... Might have to come out of pocket a tiny bit more but your gonna make that back in fuel savings

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag

My Sport has the LX stereo, I find it sounds better with the Usb cable than Bluetooth, playing mp3s off my phone. I don't mind the stereo at all, thought I would hate it. You can skip songs with steering wheel, but mine often requires two button presses to get a response, which is weird.

tdhart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I got my buyback in early December. I loved my TDI and didn't want anything less in terms of power. I ended up with a new '17 Civic Touring. Whatever you end up doing, if you like the TDI's power, I wouldn't buy anything without a Turbo. I do miss my 46-48mpg!

NotYrGrndMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
If you haven't already, look into the Costco auto buyers program for pricing and comparison. I had really good luck with them for my EX-T, and it is worth joining Costco just for that if not already a member. Worst case it gives you a strong starting point for working out a deal.

OP
OP

cmakohon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jetta TDI
I really appreciate the input everyone! Does anyone have any opinions on the 2015 EX vs the 2016 LX?
Sponsored