vs 2018 Elantra GT

Ethan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3 GT 6 speed
Wouldn't even consider the Hyundai with the DCT due to drivability issues that plague owners of even the new Elantra Sport.

Very well could end up with a manual Elantra GT Sport over a Civic, though.
Sponsored

geoken2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch sport
Country flag
Wouldn't even consider the Hyundai with the DCT due to drivability issues that plague owners of even the new Elantra Sport.

Very well could end up with a manual Elantra GT Sport over a Civic, though.
Have you heard anything in specific? When I was researching the car prior to getting my Civic, I was under the impression that the dual clutch in that car was new and currently only found in the new Elantra Sport?

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It looks like a real contender if you are looking for something sportier than the Civic. It seems to have good value for the money. I wished I at least test drove the Elantra sport just so I wouldn't be questioning whether I would like it better.

Civic:
Love the look
Better mpg
Better ride?
Nicer interior
LED headlights look cooler
Brand reliability

Elantra Sport:
Better acceleration
Better handling
Blind spot instead of Lane watch.
18 inch rims
Better premium stereo
Better Warrantee

I think I would still pick the Civic, but I wouldn't know unless I test drove the Sport.

Certainly looks like a great choice for those who don't like the look of the Civic OR someone who values raw performance over a blend of fuel economy and sportyness.
Better acceleration? What's the 0-60 time of the Hyundai?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Best tested at about 6.3-6.4 seconds. 201hp / 195tq stock.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Best tested at about 6.3-6.4 seconds. 201hp / 195tq stock.
Tested where? I haven't seen a single road test yet unless you count user videos on Youtube.

BrieOfBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring 4 door sedan
Tested where? I haven't seen a single road test yet unless you count user videos on Youtube.
Take this with a big grain of salt because they also said that the Civic *Hatch* will to 0-60 in 6.5 seconds....

"Of course, the stick is the one you want. The turbo-manual combo will get the Elantra Sport to 60 mph in a claimed 6.4 seconds. That’s 0.5 seconds slower than a manual-equipped Golf GTI, but 0.2 seconds quicker than a Jetta GLI. In comparison, a base manual Civic LX hatch pulls the same stunt in 6.5 seconds.:

http://jalopnik.com/2017-hyundai-elantra-sport-the-jalopnik-review-1793927248

Motortrend has it at 7.1 seconds. (Motor trend has Civic Sport Hatch Manual at 7.5 seconds)
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyundai/elantra/2017/2017-hyundai-elantra-sport-first-test-review/
"At the track, the 2017 Elantra Sport sprinted to 60 mph in 7.1 seconds and finished the quarter mile in 15.4 seconds at 90.7 mph. "

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Take this with a big grain of salt because they also said that the Civic *Hatch* will to 0-60 in 6.5 seconds....

"Of course, the stick is the one you want. The turbo-manual combo will get the Elantra Sport to 60 mph in a claimed 6.4 seconds. That’s 0.5 seconds slower than a manual-equipped Golf GTI, but 0.2 seconds quicker than a Jetta GLI. In comparison, a base manual Civic LX hatch pulls the same stunt in 6.5 seconds.:

http://jalopnik.com/2017-hyundai-elantra-sport-the-jalopnik-review-1793927248

Motortrend has it at 7.1 seconds. (Motor trend has Civic Sport Hatch Manual at 7.5 seconds)
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyundai/elantra/2017/2017-hyundai-elantra-sport-first-test-review/
"At the track, the 2017 Elantra Sport sprinted to 60 mph in 7.1 seconds and finished the quarter mile in 15.4 seconds at 90.7 mph. "
Thanks, hadn't seen that MT test yet. The Jalopnik is a good article and I like their site, but they do not really do actual road tests. They just do test drives and report back with a well written article. MT seems to always get poor numbers nowadays compared to R&T, C&D, and others. Still it looks pretty dead even with a Sport Hatch in most categories, can't wait to see a comparison test.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wayne Gerdes at CleanMPG.com finished his steady-state testing of the Civic Sport Hatch over the weekend. As expected, the 6MT returned better fuel economy than the CVT despite the much shorter gearing of the 6MT:

Honda Civic 10th gen vs 2018 Elantra GT ear1g1

http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/49683/page-16#post-424042
Nice, thanks for the update! Looks like apples to apples (with both being sport hatches) it's a 2-5% difference which is pretty big actually. It's not quite the 10% diff that Carcus' sedan numbers compared to Wayne's sedan numbers show so there were probably some other variables there, but it's a significant margin still. Good news for SI owners too, because based on the EPA mileage and this they might be neck and neck with regular 1.5t CVT sedans and coupes despite the larger tires and LSD.

Reactions: jks

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Alex on Autos is a pretty well respected pro car reviewer and he got 6.4 sec. 0-60 with the manual transmission. The DCT was 6.3 seconds to 60.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
Nice, thanks for the update! Looks like apples to apples (with both being sport hatches) it's a 2-5% difference which is pretty big actually. It's not quite the 10% diff that Carcus' sedan numbers compared to Wayne's sedan numbers show so there were probably some other variables there, but it's a significant margin still. Good news for SI owners too, because based on the EPA mileage and this they might be neck and neck with regular 1.5t CVT sedans and coupes despite the larger tires and LSD.
Not really apples to apples, the Sport Touring is almost 150lbs heavier than the Sport.

They should have run Sport CVT vs. Sport 6MT. The 6MT claims 6 extra HP and 10 extra TQ over the standard models, the CVT claims 6 extra HP and the SAME TQ as the other models.

So you have a heavier car being hauled around by less torque I'm not too surprised it did worse.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not really apples to apples, the Sport Touring is almost 150lbs heavier than the Sport.

They should have run Sport CVT vs. Sport 6MT. The 6MT claims 6 extra HP and 10 extra TQ over the standard models, the CVT claims 6 extra HP and the SAME TQ as the other models.

So you have a heavier car being hauled around by less torque I'm not too surprised it did worse.

You're right, I didn't notice the touring trim. I clearly notice the difference with an extra passenger.

khory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring, 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe SE Ultimate
I like the options offered by the Elantra. I'd seriously would have considered it vs my Sport Touring. That said, it would have to be a pretty magical test drive to get over those looks. The Elantra is soooo ugly.

ktsang47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 328i sedan w sport package
The Elantra gt sport is out now here in Canada. I’m debating on this or the hatchback sport touring. The Hyundai is cheaper and more power but it’s a Hyundai. The sport touring has everything I want and in Manual here in Canada but 3000$ more. I will have to drive them to decide. Anyone drive them yet. Does the Elantra feel more pull. I can’t get the SI because of the extra inches won’t fit in my garage.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Ahhh Hyundai.

I didn't notice the Elantra Sport/GT because I had bad experience with previous gen of Hyundai Elantra. The old one was ugly and underpowered.

Based on the reviews, the Elantra Sport or GT seems to be quite a good car (specs wise) at a competitive price. Current gen looks nice but is an Audi rip off (well... Hyundai hired a former Audi designer).

Maybe I just have an irrational bias against Hyundais; their lineup looks good on the spec sheets, but it feels like something is missing when you go test drive one.
Sponsored

Last edited: