vs 2018 Elantra GT

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Japanese car makers got complacent till they saw how hard Korean car makers pushed in putting in as much tech and premium items in lower tier cars as they could with their budget. Japan used to be the powerhouse in tech and cars, but look how quickly Korea has caught up. They know how huge the market for tech and cars are and are doing everything they can to catch up and even surpass Japan. For example Sony used to be consider one of the top in tech (tv, phones,etc) Now Samsung is everywhere. They even have refrigerators!!!! And where is Sony? Haven't heard anything from them in forever besides the playstations. How the mighty have fallen. Hopefully Japanese car makers are aware of this and are starting to fight back hard. Looking at you Toyota, you and your damn 4 speed auto corolla!
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I prefer the Civic's long hatch vs the short tall one in the Elantra GT, it's like a GTI, much less usable trunk space than the Civic hatch. It's the main reason I didn't buy the GTI.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
I much prefer the Euro styling of the Elantra GT to the Civic hatch. I like the 7-speed DCT vs the much less efficient CVT of the Civic also. Both have similar power and cargo capacity so it comes down to efficiency.

geoken2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch sport
Country flag
I much prefer the Euro styling of the Elantra GT to the Civic hatch. I like the 7-speed DCT vs the much less efficient CVT of the Civic also. Both have similar power and cargo capacity so it comes down to efficiency.
I prefer the Dual clutch to the CVT from a driving dynamics perspective, but I'm not sure what context it's more efficient in. A CVT has a theoretical infinite number of gears so I'm not sure how any fixed gear transmission (even a 7 or 8 speed) would be more efficient.

Outside of the transmission, the Civic seems to be clearly more fuel efficient.

iulianm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW Golf 7 GTI DSG
Country flag
For me the Elantra GT is just Hyundai's version of Golf.

Not sure if you are familiar with Seat Leon (available in Europe). Seat brand is owned by VW and Seat Leon is a Golf with a different exterior and interior.

Now, look at Seat Leon and normal Elantra and tell me if Hyundai didn't copied Leon's interior.

Honda Civic 10th gen vs 2018 Elantra GT 2017-elantra-ang-2-ltd-gray
Honda Civic 10th gen vs 2018 Elantra GT Seat-_Leon-2017-1600-23

how to do a screenshot on a pc

Yes, the Elantra GT has a DCT gearbox and a better engine however if you like the DCT, the better engine and Elantra's look, go buy the real deal (Golf) and not a Korean imitation of it.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
I prefer the Dual clutch to the CVT from a driving dynamics perspective, but I'm not sure what context it's more efficient in. A CVT has a theoretical infinite number of gears so I'm not sure how any fixed gear transmission (even a 7 or 8 speed) would be more efficient.

Outside of the transmission, the Civic seems to be clearly more fuel efficient.
A CVT has a lot of internal friction compared to a manual or DCT because the cones have to press hard against the sides of the belt. A CVT has the advantage of a wider range of gearing (usually) and more ratios, but the manual will still beat a CVT in efficiency even though the manual typically won't have the taller top gear ratio. Here are some steady-state fuel economy comparisons of various Civics taken from CleanMPG.com:

Honda Civic 10th gen vs 2018 Elantra GT alrvb4

geoken2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch sport
Country flag
A CVT has a lot of internal friction compared to a manual or DCT because the cones have to press hard against the sides of the belt. A CVT has the advantage of a wider range of gearing (usually) and more ratios, but the manual will still beat a CVT in efficiency even though the manual typically won't have the taller top gear ratio. Here are some steady-state fuel economy comparisons of various Civics taken from CleanMPG.com:

It will only beat it in 'efficiency' of your definition of efficiency is limited to a subset of the cars functionality rather than it's full range of operation. By that definition, a fixed driveshaft with no transmission is more efficient as long as you selectively measure it only within the range of operation where it's benefits are fully realized and it's obvious downsides don't come into play.

In actual usage it's more efficient because the inherent losses are offset by infinite gearing. Similarly to how the inherent losses of a typical 6 speed transmission (interlocking gears, a friction based mating surface aka clutch) vs. a fixed driveshaft are offset by the ability to keep the motor in a more optimal operating range.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag

This chart is trash. It uses data from different tester using different methods is different conditions. Wayne Gerdes didn't do steady states for the 6mt that I have seen, that 6mt chart data is from a user who submitted his own and held it up against Waynes. Wayne did do road tests with both models though and averaged 4.1 more MPG's with a CVT. That is also not scientific proof though, just data.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
This chart is trash. It uses data from different tester using different methods is different conditions. Wayne Gerdes didn't do steady states for the 6mt that I have seen, that 6mt chart data is from a user who submitted his own and held it up against Waynes. Wayne did do road tests with both models though and averaged 4.1 more MPG's with a CVT. That is also not scientific proof though, just data.
I believe Wayne is testing a 6mt Civic this weekend so we'll have to wait for his results. In the meantime, I trust Carcus' numbers. It doesn't take any special skill to do steady-state tests. You just have to be careful with your measurements. I stand by my statement: the 6mt will return better fuel economy than the CVT, as will a DCT, because of it's much lower friction.

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Comparing a manual 1.5t vs cvt 1.5t aren't the revs a lot lower on the cvt while, say, traveling at 70 mph compared to the manual?

Stegodon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
clicked it.. looked for 3 seconds... instantly saw a stationwagon type vibe... clicked it off

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I believe Wayne is testing a 6mt Civic this weekend so we'll have to wait for his results. In the meantime, I trust Carcus' numbers. It doesn't take any special skill to do steady-state tests. You just have to be careful with your measurements. I stand by my statement: the 6mt will return better fuel economy than the CVT, as will a DCT, because of it's much lower friction.
I am watching and waiting myself. I don't distrust Carcus' numbers, it's just that you cannot ever compare steady state numbers from one road and state to another. Unlike performance numbers which only fluctuate a few tenths of a second from sea level all the way up to mile high altitude, they can fluctuate wildly based on the surface of the road, the grade of the road, the fuel used, the wind, and the ambient temperature. Wayne's numbers are all pretty comparable because the bulk of them are done in SoCal on the same stretch of road using the same fuel. The MT may well be better, but I highly doubt that it is anywhere near 10% better like these numbers show.

Reactions: jks

JayHondaZach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatchback EX-T
Looks wise, this front end reminds me of Mazda, and back end reminds me of the VW Golf. Definitely not my style..

BrieOfBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring 4 door sedan
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...s-an-automatic-and-it-isnt-even-the-best-one/

CVT's have better performance (0-60) and better fuel economy than manuals (or DCT). "CVT allows the engine to produce maximum power at all times. This is an advantage far more significant than the friction losses suffered by a CVT in comparison to a traditional gearbox." In CVT's you can't downshift to anticipate need for acceleration and are less fun. But they are unquestionably more efficient.
Sponsored