vs 2017 Elantra

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
there is an Elantra and an Elantra Sport...
What's your point?

EX-T and Elantra Sport both have a turbo engine, 6 speed manual, and IRS. The differences really come down to fuel economy and standard features. Are you saying you can't compare the two?

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's your point?

EX-T and Elantra Sport both have a turbo engine, 6 speed manual, and IRS. The differences really come down to fuel economy and standard features. Are you saying you can't compare the two?
it doesn't make any sense to compare an Elantra Sport to a regular civic, lol the competition here is the civic SI. EXT is not tuned for performance, it's tuned for efficiency. why would you not compare an Elantra to a Civic and the sport to the SI?

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
it doesn't make any sense to compare an Elantra Sport to a regular civic, lol the competition here is the civic SI. EXT is not tuned for performance, it's tuned for efficiency. why would you not compare an Elantra to a Civic and the sport to the SI?
The Elantra Sport is not competition for the Si, that's what their N Performance version will be for. The GTI, Si, and ST is not this car's competition.

So is the civic hatchback sport a fair comparison? Or is it not still not fair because the Elantra Sport makes more power and does it with only 87 octane?

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Elantra Sport is not competition for the Si, that's what their N Performance version will be for. The GTI, Si, and ST is not this car's competition.

So is the civic hatchback sport a fair comparison? Or is it not still not fair because the Elantra Sport makes more power and does it with only 87 octane?
N stands for nurburgring, it competes with type R, golf R, focus Rs. get it right please. hatchback is its own thing since Honda decided not to offer an SI in that form, civic sport injected is closely matched to Elantra sport and is its direct competitor, not a base model civic...

from that stand point yes the Elantra sport is better than the civic sport hatchback, you can have that.

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
N stands for nurburgring, it competes with type R, golf R, focus Rs. get it right please. hatchback is its own thing since Honda decided not to offer an SI in that form, civic sport injected is closely matched to Elantra sport and is its direct competitor, not a base model civic...

from that stand point yes the Elantra sport is better than the civic sport hatchback, you can have that.
The N version is going to have 300 hp? I've been reading around Focus ST power.

I don't understand how you think an Elantra is Si worthy competition just because it got IRS and 18" wheels. The Si is going to be much more expensive with adjustable dampers and an LSD.

My point was Honda can't touch this car for the same $22k price tag with the standard features and power it comes with. The Sport Hatchback is a joke in terms of standard features compared to this thing.

Last edited:

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The N version is going to have 300 hp? I've been reading around Focus ST power.

I don't understand how you think an Elantra is Si worthy competition just because it got IRS and 18" wheels. The Si is going to be much more expensive with adjustable dampers and an LSD.

My point was Honda can't touch this car for the same $22k price tag with the standard features and power it comes with. The Sport Hatchback is a joke in terms of standard features compared to this thing.
like I said I don't know what honda did with their hatchback trim, and yes at 22k it's a steal but it doesn't mean it competes with the base civic, the SI will be around EXL pricing so not that much more expensive. the N is expected to have 260hp so I'd say that's close enough, they also mentioned they weren't aiming to set records for the nurburgring and offer a stripped out version of the car so probably why it sits in between the R cars and the sports. Si is not really a real race car just a sporty version of the Civic just like the Elantra sport. they both have more aggressive tuning at around 200 HP and trq

edit: I stand corrected; n stands for Namyang the R&D site for performance and tested at nurburgring.

Last edited:

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
I believe the Elantra Sport is definitely competition for the Civic EX-T and Sport. Just because it is sportier doesn't mean it's not competition. Hyundai's strategy is to offer more for less money. So it's extra features and sportiness are it's competitive edge to steal would-be civic buyers.
The Elantra Sport is a GTI wannabe, but it will never be able to hang with the likes of the GTI, so for now, it's a suped up civic EX-T

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe the Elantra Sport is definitely competition for the Civic EX-T and Sport. Just because it is sportier doesn't mean it's not competition. Hyundai's strategy is to offer more for less money. So it's extra features and sportiness are it's competitive edge to steal would-be civic buyers.
The Elantra Sport is a GTI wannabe, but it will never be able to hang with the likes of the GTI, so for now, it's a suped up civic EX-T
but is that not the same as the SI?it will not hang with the GTI either or the ST. I understand price wise but a consumer is either going to look for creature comforts and mpgs or for performance. I think the very fact that it's rated at 200 HP trq says enough as to its direct competitor

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
but is that not the same as the SI?it will not hang with the GTI either or the ST. I understand price wise but a consumer is either going to look for creature comforts and mpgs or for performance. I think the very fact that it's rated at 200 HP trq says enough as to its direct competitor
Hyundai has a habit of overrating their horsepower, whereas honda underrates. I'd bet the Hyundai sport does not make more than the Civic HB Sport on the dyno and much less than the Civic SI. I totally see your point. I think any civic buyer (EX-T or SI) may end up cross-shopping the Elantra Sport.

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
Here we go with the whole "CVT isn't for enthusiasts" thing. Yawn. Just like an oil thread.

Ethan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3 GT 6 speed
The Elantra Sport is a competitor for the EX-T & Mazda 3 2.5 & GLI, not the Si.

When you consider it as a competitor to those cars it's actually a nice package for the money.

For $24,985 with a manual you get:
- Blind spot monitoring
- Smart key
- Nav
- Apple car play
- Leather
- Sunroof
- Dual zone climate
- Turbo engine

I will test drive but considering Hyundai literally throws discounts at these cars I think this will be my choice. And it looks amazing IMO!

Honda Civic 10th gen vs 2017 Elantra Hyndai-Elantra-2017_001

So if I can get a loaded one for around $21,000-$22,000 it's hard to beat.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i guess I'm not being as clear as i could be... SURE you could cross shop these cars for all around the same price point. yes even the SI. key aspect is performance. the Elantra Sport has a sport tuned suspension...the base civic does not, Hyundai could have offered a numbed version of their sport like Honda did with the EXT. key word here is sport.. sport injected. SI has the same motor as the EXT but it will be more aggressively tuned and have a sport suspension set up. SI=Sport.

can they compete in sales? sure... but I'm not gonna brag that my base Elantra can hold its own to an SI, nor will i brag that my EXT will hold a flame to the Elantra Sport. two different setups

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The Elantra Sport is a competitor for the EX-T & Mazda 3 2.5 & GLI, not the Si.

When you consider it as a competitor to those cars it's actually a nice package for the money.

For $24,985 with a manual you get:
- Blind spot monitoring
- Smart key
- Nav
- Apple car play
- Leather
- Sunroof
- Dual zone climate
- Turbo engine

I will test drive but considering Hyundai literally throws discounts at these cars I think this will be my choice. And it looks amazing IMO!

Honda Civic 10th gen vs 2017 Elantra Hyndai-Elantra-2017_001

So if I can get a loaded one for around $21,000-$22,000 it's hard to beat.
I can't get an accurate dealer quote to save my life on a Sport w/Technology Package. The online pricing is horse hockey w/tons of rebates added in. The email quotes I get are the same. Just ridiculous. From reading around, looks like $2k dealer discount is possible along with $2k rebate and a $750 rebate for financing.

So IF you can get those stacked, that's right in your pricing ballpark. What have you found price wise? I haven't seen one in person yet, but love the pics I've seen so far. It's a great deal for the money like you said. My only beef is the MPG's. At 30MPG highway for the 6 speed manual, that absolutely blows! And I can't figure out why so low for such a similar sized engine to the 1.5 turbo Civic. Especially if the 1.5 Honda is underpowered. Heck the VW GTI 2.0 turbo is rated higher than 30 highway and owners of that car w/manual are getting 37 plus MPG on the highway at 70mph with cruise control on.

From everything I've read, the Sport has excellent reviews as well. Hope to see more of them in dealers soon as they are few and far between right now. IF I could get one equal in pricing to an EX-T manual, I'd probably go for the Sport.

Can't lose with either car in my opinion.

EDIT: Another car that has perked my interest is the new 2017 Kia Forte5 SX manual. Same engine I believe as the Elantra Sport. This is a hatchback though. Good looking car with more room since it's a hatch. VERY few 17 manuals out there so far though. Like under 50 I believe nationwide. Only problem........price. MSRP around $27k. So depending on discounts, it will still be pretty expensive. At that price, a GTI SE is probably the better choice. But if they put out some big discounts, then another good choice!
Sponsored

Last edited: