Volume randomly changing while driving??

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Anybody else had an issue where the volume will randomly change while driving? I set it at 15 for my drive home and all of a sudden it will go up to at least 20. It pops up on the screen that the volume is changing (as if i was pushing the button), so I know it's not just the SCV. And it's not constant. It will go up a few points then down and up again. Any ideas??
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nope. Bad switch/interconnecting wiring or plugs causing a short to be just like your volume switch got operated or the infomat itself is screwy (I'd say switch/wiring before information unless it's doing something else too.)

If it happens a lot, I'd try take a video for proof in case it doesn't want to do it when you take it to the dealer. Sometimes Gremlins disappear when you have a tech come out to see what you're talking about. I'd go back to the dealer either way.

Does you volume switch have a crisp click and return the same when you operate both volume up and down or is up spongy feeling?

OP
OP
1996Touring2016
First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Nope. Bad switch/interconnecting wiring or plugs causing a short to be just like your volume switch got operated or the infomat itself is screwy (I'd say switch/wiring before information unless it's doing something else too.)

If it happens a lot, I'd try take a video for proof in case it doesn't want to do it when you take it to the dealer. Sometimes Gremlins disappear when you have a tech come out to see what you're talking about. I'd go back to the dealer either way.

Does you volume switch have a crisp click and return the same when you operate both volume up and down or is up spongy feeling?
The volume buttons on the wheel have a good click to them. They feel just the same as the day I bought it. And the controls on the unit itself are touch activated (who doesn't hate that) but still function when I press them. I was afraid there might be wiring issues but I was hoping to try a few things on my own before having to mess around with the dealer.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You could always pull the switch and check continuity or the wiring... but it's tell you exactly the same thing as if the volume changed and you didn't go through the trouble of pulling it. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze on a car under warranty. Replacements aren't too expensive for the switch. Rerouting the wiring would be a PITA though. My guess is the switch as it's the one piece that has a moving part and should go from open to closed when operated. Who knows... it could be defective... gotten something spilled in it at sometime before you go it. It should be well sealed but you might try to blow it out if you've got compressed air. Pull it and burnish an exposed contact which it probably doesn't have since it's likely we'll sealed and the toggle isn't make to be disassembled. I'd still be inclined to take it back under warranty.

BallisticSquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback, 2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Do you have a '19 with the physical volume knob or an older one with the touch buttons on the screen? If you don't have the physical button, is there a wire from a GPS or other device dangling down that might hit the button on the touchscreen?

It might also be worth rebooting the head unit.

OP
OP
1996Touring2016
First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Do you have a '19 with the physical volume knob or an older one with the touch buttons on the screen? If you don't have the physical button, is there a wire from a GPS or other device dangling down that might hit the button on the touchscreen?

It might also be worth rebooting the head unit.
It's a '16 so touch buttons. Nothing is dangling in the way. My first thought was that the screen was dirty and there was some dust or prints that it was registering as touches. But after cleaning and dusting, the issue is still present. Next on the list to try is definitely a reboot!

OP
OP
1996Touring2016
First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
You could always pull the switch and check continuity or the wiring... but it's tell you exactly the same thing as if the volume changed and you didn't go through the trouble of pulling it. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze on a car under warranty. Replacements aren't too expensive for the switch. Rerouting the wiring would be a PITA though. My guess is the switch as it's the one piece that has a moving part and should go from open to closed when operated. Who knows... it could be defective... gotten something spilled in it at sometime before you go it. It should be well sealed but you might try to blow it out if you've got compressed air. Pull it and burnish an exposed contact which it probably doesn't have since it's likely we'll sealed and the toggle isn't make to be disassembled. I'd still be inclined to take it back under warranty.
If the reboot doesn't do the trick, I will head to the dealer since, like you said, I'm still under warranty.

SFTOURING

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2010 Civic Hybrid, 2006 CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anybody else had an issue where the volume will randomly change while driving? I set it at 15 for my drive home and all of a sudden it will go up to at least 20. It pops up on the screen that the volume is changing (as if i was pushing the button), so I know it's not just the SCV. And it's not constant. It will go up a few points then down and up again. Any ideas??

I notice while I’m driving I slightly touch the volume controls (by accident)on the steering wheel and it changes the radio volume. You don’t notice that you slightly touched it. Maybe that could be it.

Justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
hey uhhh.... there's a setting with how fast you go, the sound goes up!

Justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Check out the infotainment settings, it's like adaptive sound setting. Hit the menu button while in the radio i believe