Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
best thing to do is revert to stock. I had a guy come in to my dealership a couple weeks ago that had to pay for a brand new turbo out of pocket because he voided his warranty. Dude had catless DP, Boomba BOV, Injen intake, and he didn't revert to tune back to stock. Found his turbine wheel broke off and got stuck in the right side muffler. He was pushing 25+ lbs of boost.
Well, with those kinds of mods - plus the fact he was pushing a lot more boost than that turbo is probably rated for - I could understand the dealership not covering that under warranty. A new muffler or a CAI is one thing, but multiple mods and pushing things way beyond their limits is another.
Sponsored

domicubarican

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Well, with those kinds of mods - plus the fact he was pushing a lot more boost than that turbo is probably rated for - I could understand the dealership not covering that under warranty. A new muffler or a CAI is one thing, but multiple mods and pushing things way beyond their limits is another.
Yup! Customer almost bought a new exhaust with the turbo but turned around and said to just cut the mufflers off. I got excited for 5 minutes thinking I could take his exhaust hahaha.

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
best thing to do is revert to stock. I had a guy come in to my dealership a couple weeks ago that had to pay for a brand new turbo out of pocket because he voided his warranty. Dude had catless DP, Boomba BOV, Injen intake, and he didn't revert to tune back to stock. Found his turbine wheel broke off and got stuck in the right side muffler. He was pushing 25+ lbs of boost.
What model? And do you know if it was a custom tune?

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
You make it sound like this guy is an idiot for not trying to cheat your dealership into warranty service. Could his turbo have failed because it was defective? Maybe. But he was also running bolt-ons and a tune which is far more likely to be the cause if not heavily accelerate the turbo's failure. The guy gone done fucked up and so he paid up... nothing wrong with that. Mechanics are not stupid, if you modified your car and it failed through excess stress placed on turbo they will find out and your warranty will still be voided.

It's like the people who bring their phones in to a repair shop and say "It just stopped working I have no idea why!" But when you open it up there's water marks all over the PCB.

No, reverting back to stock parts will not void warranty. Unless you caused that part to fail, like breaking your side mirror from hitting it against something, it will stay warrantied. Like Luckyarmpit said, dealership must prove that whatever part you have caused the failure...if you install aftermarket springs and your shocks decided to fail, they need to prove that the springs caused the shocks to fail. Install stock springs back on and they can say that it wore out prematurely and it's covered under warranty.
Sure, legally it's up to the dealer to "prove" that your modifications caused the failure, but who is going to enforce that? It's up to YOU to take them to court and waste more time and money that the repair would have probably cost if you just paid for it anyway. Not to mention again that your modification most likely DID break the car. You can hate dealers service centers for being scumbags, but that doesn't mean you should be one too.

I don't know why people have this mentality like they can run circles around the dealerships and milk the warranty... If you can't afford to mod your car, then don't do it. If you like your warranty, wait till it's over to start modding.

Edit - just to clarify, if you have a modification that you KNOW is not the cause of the issue, then I am not saying you shouldn't revert back to stock. It's always better to go back to stock because you never know what the dealership may say to avoid warranty work. My last car had a known issue with it's turbo failing and the dealer tried to deny me the fix under warranty because I had a strut bar that "changed the dynamics of the car and caused excess strain to the engine". It was bullshit and I got covered in the end, but that could have been avoided if I had removed it before bringing the car in.

Last edited:

domicubarican

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
You make it sound like this guy is an idiot for not trying to cheat your dealership into warranty service. Could his turbo have failed because it was defective? Maybe. But he was also running bolt-ons and a tune which is far more likely to be the cause if not heavily accelerate the turbo's failure. The guy gone done fucked up and so he paid up... nothing wrong with that. Mechanics are not stupid, if you modified your car and it failed through excess stress placed on turbo they will find out and your warranty will still be voided.

It's like the people who bring their phones in to a repair shop and say "It just stopped working I have no idea why!" But when you open it up there's water marks all over the PCB.

Sure, legally it's up to the dealer to "prove" that your modifications caused the failure, but who is going to enforce that? It's up to YOU to take them to court and waste more time and money that the repair would have probably cost if you just paid for it anyway. Not to mention again that your modification most likely DID break the car. You can hate dealers service centers for being scumbags, but that doesn't mean you should be one too.

I don't know why people have this mentality like they can run circles around the dealerships and milk the warranty... If you can't afford to mod your car, then don't do it. If you like your warranty, wait till it's over to start modding.

Edit - just to clarify, if you have a modification that you KNOW is not the cause of the issue, then I am not saying you shouldn't revert back to stock. It's always better to go back to stock because you never know what the dealership may say to avoid warranty work. My last car had a known issue with it's turbo failing and the dealer tried to deny me the fix under warranty because I had a strut bar that "changed the dynamics of the car and caused excess strain to the engine". It was bullshit and I got covered in the end, but that could have been avoided if I had removed it before bringing the car in.
I did not mean to make it sound that way, I was just using that customer as an example. I agree with you, there is nothing wrong with a customer owning up to messing up there car and paying for it. As for the milking the warranty, people are cheap and will find ways to get it. Personally I hate warranty work because the labor 90% of the time is bullshit. But like I said, people are cheap and will do what they can to get free work or warrantied work.

Yeah that's fucking bullshit, strut bar causing excess strain to the engine....that's a first. Glad you got it covered in the end!

Off topic, I just noticed your from my home town lol. How's good ol Queens doing these days? Haven't been up there in almost 5 years.

Last edited:

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
Off topic, I just noticed your from my home town lol. How's good ol Queens doing these days? Haven't been up there in almost 5 years.
The Downtown Flushing area is becoming commercialized, new stores and malls popping up left and right,it almost feels like driving into the city going there now. New Police Academy used to train NYPD cadets opened up in College Point. Other than that, Queens hasn't changed much. Corona, Jackson Heights, Whitestone, Bayside are all exactly how they've been. The 7 train now has a new last stop and goes to "Hudson Yards" which is right outside of the Javit's Center and the new Hudson Yards skyscrapers. Saddest change is probably that they closed the drag strip over in Englishtown... but at least the track is still open.

domicubarican

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
The Downtown Flushing area is becoming commercialized, new stores and malls popping up left and right,it almost feels like driving into the city going there now. New Police Academy used to train NYPD cadets opened up in College Point. Other than that, Queens hasn't changed much. Corona, Jackson Heights, Whitestone, Bayside are all exactly how they've been. The 7 train now has a new last stop and goes to "Hudson Yards" which is right outside of the Javit's Center and the new Hudson Yards skyscrapers. Saddest change is probably that they closed the drag strip over in Englishtown... but at least the track is still open.
Yeah I grew up in Jackson Heights, miss my bodegas lol. Yeah I've been hearing it ain't the same anymore. That's a shame.

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Springs and an exhaust will not void your warranty, unless you have a suspension, or exhaust related issue that they can attribute to the aftermarket part. However, if you take your car in for an A/C issue for example, they will not refuse warranty work for it because you have aftermarket springs and exhaust, they are un-related.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
No, unless you want them too for certain things like not fitting in the car wash.
Do all Dealers Work like that? Not recording or taking notes of your Car if it has an aftermarket part like PRL cobra CAI or Intercooler
Im asking because those 2 are the Only bolt ons I have im not Tuned. But everytime i take my car for service I Ask my Self that Question. Plus im planning on purchasing the Honda Care Extended Warranty

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Do all Dealers Work like that? Not recording or taking notes of your Car if it has an aftermarket part like PRL cobra CAI or Intercooler
Im asking because those 2 are the Only bolt ons I have im not Tuned. But everytime i take my car for service I Ask my Self that Question. Plus im planning on purchasing the Honda Care Extended Warranty
If you're going fbo no point getting warranty. My Si is tuned and I work at Honda, the only plus side is I do all my repairs/mods myself with the help of a few techs if I need extra hands. I have a few friends who have FBO CTR and when they bring it in for service, the dealership really doesn't care unless the aftermarket part is the cause of the problem

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're going fbo no point getting warranty. My Si is tuned and I work at Honda, the only plus side is I do all my repairs/mods myself with the help of a few techs if I need extra hands. I have a few friends who have FBO CTR and when they bring it in for service, the dealership really doesn't care unless the aftermarket part is the cause of the problem
Whats fbo?

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

"Full Bolt On" ... meaning, you've bolted on all the performance parts, to the engine, that you can.
Oh ok . Im just to stick with those 2 bolt ons keep my ECU Stock have never reflash .
Does the dealer where you work is in California ?

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Oh ok . Im just to stick with those 2 bolt ons keep my ECU Stock have never reflash .
Does the dealer where you work is in California ?
No ...

I'm in North Florida ...
Sponsored