Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
I wonder if this is also part of the SAE NET hp calculation and it's rated given all potential conditions (humidity, temperature, altitudes, heat soak, etc.)
Yes, and other manufacturers have done this as well with turbo vehicles. They rate it for the lowest amount of power (i.e. worst conditions) you would normally experience.
Sponsored

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
I'm very impressed with these numbers , I bet that car feels great on the rd. I can only imagine what you'll be able to do with the type r. You might have the type r knocking on the 400hp door. Great work vit!! Keep it coming

Lume80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord sport
Country flag
I'm very impressed with these numbers , I bet that car feels great on the rd. I can only imagine what you'll be able to do with the type r. You might have the type r knocking on the 400hp door. Great work vit!! Keep it coming
Type R at 400 HP...that's fucking balls man...Sheeeeet!!!! So many badass 10th Gen Civics hitting the road

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
@VitViper, what is the approximate drivetrain loss on the dyno you're using? I'm curious as to what flywheel #s might be.

From my experience, the 9th Gen Si actually makes the advertised horsepower (around 205 crank hp) in stock form. From your 9th Gen Si comparison graph, this would put the new 2017 Si at about 235 hp (with 92-93 octane) at the crank assuming the same dyno configuration and corrections were used. I guess it's possible that Honda grossly underrated the new Si.
I'm also interested in knowing the mileage of the 8th & 9th Gens compared.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
Even on 87 it makes more at the wheel than other Si's comparatively its not sluggish or slow at all.
The 87oct Dyno Si made about 190whp and 200tq. My Civic Si dynoed at 180whp bone stock, and is a bit lighter. When you factor in boost lag and TC cutting power on the new Si, my old civic actually felt faster, more peppy and eager. But these are different time now. Anyway looking forward to the tuning results out of this new SI. Hopefully its not just a carry over clutch from the base civic.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
So I see this tune is already available to purchase but my question is, should we wait until we can determine the clutch problem goes away after its no longer fresh? Would this "mild tune" be safe to use right off the bat or what? I'm mainly concerned about rev hang and any turbo lag from an initial tune. More power is nice but that clutch slipping bothers me unless it's going to go away once the clutch breaks in.

Torque steer would rip your arms out of the sockets...lol

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
The 87oct Dyno Si made about 190whp and 200tq. My Civic Si dynoed at 180whp bone stock, and is a bit lighter. When you factor in boost lag and TC cutting power on the new Si, my old civic actually felt faster, more peppy and eager. But these are different time now. Anyway looking forward to the tuning results out of this new SI. Hopefully its not just a carry over clutch from the base civic.
Yeah, 10WHP difference, but you seem to be forgetting about the almost 80wtq more.

We've known for weeks its the same clutch, its the same part number.

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
I posted over in the Si forum, but it's disappointing to see the clutch slipping on even stock power numbers...

I am impressed with the power numbers the car is making, there is definitely a slight delay (call it turbo lag if you want) in the power coming on when compared to the EX-T...but that's definitely due to the different turbo...

Seems to me like a lot of the fears regarding this motor compared to the older Si's are unfounded...

I will be VERY interested to see how the clutch situation plays out...and I'm thinking that mild tune is exactly the type of tune I would like on my daily drover

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How much would a proper aftermarket clutch cost? I've never replaced a clutch so what all does that include? Is it just the clutch itself that would be upgraded or are there other parts needed as well. Basically, when I eventually get this tune, I want to upgrade the clutch too but have never upgraded from a stock clutch so wouldn't even know where to start.

I posted over in the Si forum, but it's disappointing to see the clutch slipping on even stock power numbers...

I am impressed with the power numbers the car is making, there is definitely a slight delay (call it turbo lag if you want) in the power coming on when compared to the EX-T...but that's definitely due to the different turbo...

Seems to me like a lot of the fears regarding this motor compared to the older Si's are unfounded...

I will be VERY interested to see how the clutch situation plays out...and I'm thinking that mild tune is exactly the type of tune I would like on my daily drover

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.
a clutch replacement can be an easy job if you have a lift, tools, could be done over the weekend. If you don't have a lift its almost not worth it to change it yourself, I've changed a clutch before on a 350z and would not do it again, the time spent wrenching/cussing I would much rather pay someone the 600-800$ in labor.

My only major gripe with changing the clutch to an upgraded one, it will never feel like oem again (it may feel similar but never the same) - in a good or bad way, depending on the driver.

Either way I wouldn't want to change the clutch on a brand new car, but that's just me.

The gti is notorious for having a weak oem clutch, its pretty much a pre-requisite to change the clutch before you go stage 1, looks like the Si will be the same way.

I wonder if the Type-R clutch would be a direct fit....

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well I can already tell you its not something I would do myself, lol. That being said, I also wouldn't want to replace it when its brand new either. Just contemplating once I get a few thousand miles (maybe 8-10k) on my clutch and engine, if I should go ahead and get a mild tune on the car. Kinks should be worked out by then and hopefully the clutch can handle whatever VIT has worked up for the mild tune. He tuned my 9th and I've had nothing but great things to say about it with no problems. Hoping the same can be said with a little time on the 10th

a clutch replacement can be an easy job if you have a lift, tools, could be done over the weekend. If you don't have a lift its almost not worth it to change it yourself, I've changed a clutch before on a 350z and would not do it again, the time spent wrenching/cussing I would much rather pay someone the 600-800$ in labor.

My only major gripe with changing the clutch to an upgraded one, it will never feel like oem again (it may feel similar but never the same) - in a good or bad way, depending on the driver.

Either way I wouldn't want to change the clutch on a brand new car, but that's just me.

The gti is notorious for having a weak oem clutch, its pretty much a pre-requisite to change the clutch before you go stage 1, looks like the Si will be the same way.

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan

Having previously owned a 350z and 370z and knowing a bit about them I would think a clutch replacement would be harder on a civic since its fwd? I've not done much work on a fwd car though so maybe I'm wrong.
Sponsored