Country flag
Clutch masters clutch? Fucking sexy.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
EX-T ("base") vs Si flywheel. Both are dual mass. On visual inspection they look identical. Down to the 31.4lb weight.
Well, that's...very interesting...to say the least.

EX-T manual flywheel
Part Number: 22100-5CC-003
List Price: $839.08

Si flywheel
Part Number: 22100-5CD-003
List Price: $134.83

In exploded parts diagrams, they look identical as well. The press releases on Honda's website no longer reference a "single mass flywheel" on the Si (but, I guaran-damn-tee they did several weeks ago - I read it with my very own eyeballs and this was before the Type R press releases were issued). On the Type R, the press release references a single-mass flywheel that reduces inertia by 25%. In hindsight, the powertrain is rather smooth and quiet considering my expectations of a single mass flywheel based on initial information.

Last edited:

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
So what's the cost on a clutch like that if we want to get one? Or is it only for testing purposes?

EX-T manual flywheel

Si flywheel

In exploded parts diagrams, they look identical as well. The press releases on Honda's website no longer reference a "single mass flywheel" on the Si (but, I guaran-damn-tee they did several weeks ago - I read it with my very own eyeballs and this was before the Type R press releases were issued). On the Type R, the press release references a single-mass flywheel that reduces inertia by 25%. In hindsight, the powertrain is rather smooth and quiet considering my expectations of a single mass flywheel based on initial information.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots

EX-T manual flywheel

Si flywheel

Yup I was quite surprised when it came out dual mass. When I tried to order the Si part number I was told it was a forward order part number and would we a while before we could get one. I suspect the flywheel weren't ready when the Si was shipping so they put the ext one in. Probably going to see a mid year update silently...

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Yup I was quite surprised when it came out dual mass. When I tried to order the Si part number I was told it was a forward order part number and would we a while before we could get one. I suspect the flywheel weren't ready when the Si was shipping so they put the ext one in. Probably going to see a mid year update silently...
My initial instinct is to be furious with Honda and demand that they replace my DMF with a SMF. However, I did not purchase this car based on the type of flywheel (I thought) it had based on press releases (that have now been quietly revised). I wonder if Honda may have changed their mind and decided to continue using the DMF going forward for some reason such as availability or NVH.

What I find even more odd is that I can't locate a single trace of a reference to the 2017 Si getting a SMF. Am I going senile or did Honda not say the Si was getting a SMF then erase all references to it from the internet?

However, not being a tuner or a racer I would probably have never known the difference, anyway, had it not come up in this post, so I'm just not going to worry about it and I'm going to continue to enjoy my Si the way it came.

Lume80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord sport
Country flag
My initial instinct is to be furious with Honda and demand that they replace my DMF with a SMF. However, I did not purchase this car based on the type of flywheel (I thought) it had based on press releases (that have now been quietly revised). I wonder if Honda may have changed their mind and decided to continue using the DMF going forward for some reason such as availability or NVH.

What I find even more odd is that I can't locate a single trace of a reference to the 2017 Si getting a SMF. Am I going senile or did Honda not say the Si was getting a SMF then erase all references to it from the internet?

However, not being a tuner or a racer I would probably have never known the difference, anyway, had it not come up in this post, so I'm just not going to worry about it and I'm going to continue to enjoy my Si the way it came.
You aren't the only one that read SMF, it was on Honda's spec sheet, and now it's not there, as well as the advertised 20.3 psi, feeling a tad cheated...an SMF would have made the manual transmission that much more enjoyable
Sponsored