VitTuned Initial Civic Si Testing

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I've adjusted the clutch and am putting some more miles on it -- then hitting the dyno again. The factory clutch adjustment was quite terrible. Adjusting it helped pedal & engagement feel quite a lot. Granted that doesn't improve the pressure plate.

The Si has no turbo lag programmed in from the factory below 4k rpm -- only above that. It's part of what gives the car the 'punchy' feel vs the EX-T stock for stock.
Wow, that makes a lot of sense based on how it felt on my test drive. Is that limited to just Sport Mode? So the Boost Target Dampening only kicks in above 4,000 RPM then?

I found your previous write-up on the programmed effects of the electronic wastegate to be extremely educational. Would you be willing to do a short blurb for your next blog post on the unique properties of the SI vs the EX-T (such as the different boost ramp up)?
Sponsored

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Wow, that makes a lot of sense based on how it felt on my test drive. Is that limited to just Sport Mode? So the Boost Target Dampening only kicks in above 4,000 RPM then?

I found your previous write-up on the programmed effects of the electronic wastegate to be extremely educational. Would you be willing to do a short blurb for your next blog post on the unique properties of the SI vs the EX-T (such as the different boost ramp up)?
Yup, if you floor it above 4k it'll do the ramp up. Below that it does not. Regardless of Sport mode (which is just a shock setting and DBW setting -- boost is the same). The MAF is also different (same one as the base 2L & CRV, different from the rest of the 1.5L turbo civics) so air mass/fueling tuning is a little different.

Turbocharger efficiency isn't tuned that well it seems, as we never hit the "advertised" (or even set -- 19.5psi) target boost on the stock tune, not even after fixing the pullback. Required some extra tuning to hit target boost. Even the mild tune (no torque increase below 4k) changes the nature of the car drastically -- the power bump from 4k to 6k is awesome. Hoping to get it back on the dyno in a week or two for some more power and testing.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Yup, if you floor it above 4k it'll do the ramp up. Below that it does not. Regardless of Sport mode (which is just a shock setting and DBW setting -- boost is the same). The MAF is also different (same one as the base 2L & CRV, different from the rest of the 1.5L turbo civics) so air mass/fueling tuning is a little different.

Turbocharger efficiency isn't tuned that well it seems, as we never hit the "advertised" (or even set -- 19.5psi) target boost on the stock tune, not even after fixing the pullback. Required some extra tuning to hit target boost. Even the mild tune (no torque increase below 4k) changes the nature of the car drastically -- the power bump from 4k to 6k is awesome. Hoping to get it back on the dyno in a week or two for some more power and testing.
Super excited now! How does the ramp up work if I start accelerating at just below 4K? Is there an impact as I cross over the 4K mark, or does the boost limitation only kick in if I attempt to give it a lot of throttle beginning above that point?

I'd imagine that disabling or hastening this ramp up could be huge for "quick downshift and accelerate" situations!

andyboyd102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I've adjusted the clutch and am putting some more miles on it -- then hitting the dyno again. The factory clutch adjustment was quite terrible. Adjusting it helped pedal & engagement feel quite a lot. Granted that doesn't improve the pressure plate.

The Si has no turbo lag programmed in from the factory below 4k rpm -- only above that. It's part of what gives the car the 'punchy' feel vs the EX-T stock for stock.
Interesting,

With this being said, I'll have you tune my "Si" when you finish your work on yours. I would like a little more time to break-in mine...... I'm only at 327 miles

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Hopefully after some miles on the clutch it will improve but it doesn't sound promising. I know you work magic with your tunes from My experience on my 9th and your tune. Is that clutch adjustment to get a better feel something that's easy to do? I'd be interested in that.

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Hopefully after some miles on the clutch it will improve but it doesn't sound promising. I know you work magic with your tunes from My experience on my 9th and your tune. Is that clutch adjustment to get a better feel something that's easy to do? I'd be interested in that.
I have about 300 miles on the car now and the clutch seems to be holding a bit better, although I am a little paranoid about dynoing the car again with it. I have however cranked up the power quite a bit on it tonight and went for a joyride -- car felt great. Still not giving it all she's got below 4500 rpm, but feels strong regardless.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I have about 300 miles on the car now and the clutch seems to be holding a bit better, although I am a little paranoid about dynoing the car again with it. I have however cranked up the power quite a bit on it tonight and went for a joyride -- car felt great. Still not giving it all she's got below 4500 rpm, but feels strong regardless.
Just to add a data point here... I drove gently as if fuel economy were a primary goal during the "official 600-mile break-in period". The initial fill at the dealer was with 91 octane "Valero" (I watched it being dispensed). At just under half a tank, I filled it with 93 octane "Exxon". At just under another half a tank, I again filled with 93 octane "Exxon" so I currently have about 92.5 octane. I've done several WOT throttle runs through 1st-2nd and went WOT in 3rd-4th as well. I don't "hear" any clutch slippage based on engine sound, I don't "feel" any clutch slippage through my butt dyno, I don't "smell" any clutch slippage (burning clutch material), and I don't "see" any evidence of clutch slippage (unexpected or non-linear RPM increase). If it's slipping, then I'm unable to detect it and it might only show up on a dyno.

Last edited:

jfisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Infiniti G37
The 87oct Dyno Si made about 190whp and 200tq. My Civic Si dynoed at 180whp bone stock, and is a bit lighter. When you factor in boost lag and TC cutting power on the new Si, my old civic actually felt faster, more peppy and eager. But these are different time now. Anyway looking forward to the tuning results out of this new SI. Hopefully its not just a carry over clutch from the base civic.
Was your car dyno'd using 87? Regardless, like it was stated in the blog the peak numbers (especially hp) mean nothing. The new car makes way more power and tq where it's needed.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm wondering what's taking so long for the clutch companies to make an aftermarket option for the 1.5? Do you think they were waiting for the Si?

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Clutch is in and she's back on the road.

Honda Civic 10th gen VitTuned Initial Civic Si Testing 19226004_10211502965227396_3010323338639325798_n

Here's stock vs the replacement.
Honda Civic 10th gen VitTuned Initial Civic Si Testing 19149355_10211500916296174_4096804520182021504_n

EX-T ("base") vs Si flywheel. Both are dual mass. On visual inspection they look identical. Down to the 31.4lb weight.
Honda Civic 10th gen VitTuned Initial Civic Si Testing 19260412_10211500916256173_8927549863412188495_n