VitTuned Drop In Turbo Upgrade -- Initial Results Sneak Peak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Would you anticipate a precipitous drop in mileage due to the much higher boost levels? If so, I am totally cool with it -- would just want to anticipate this in the cost of ownership. :)
No, your foot controls that.
Sponsored

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Not needed. The MAF has nothing to do with the internal turbo upgrade.
Turbo upgrade increases airflow, so it has everything to do with the MAF lol.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Turbo upgrade increases airflow, so it has everything to do with the MAF lol.
Thought he was talking about fitment.. my bad. He said housing, so assumed it was about fitment. Ofcourse extra air flow will throw off the air and fuel hence why the tune would be needed. Sorry for the assumption lol.

Last edited:

FKSE7EN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 HatchBack Sport 6MT
Country flag
The stock air box MAF housing on the base 1.5 is different than that of the Si. I’ve never seen it in person but im guessing the sensor is different also. I say this because aftermarket intakes (Injen , etc) are not compatible between base 1.5 and Si .

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The stock air box MAF housing on the base 1.5 is different than that of the Si. I’ve never seen it in person but im guessing the sensor is different also. I say this because aftermarket intakes (Injen , etc) are not compatible between base 1.5 and Si .
Yes, it is different. But only slightly. It should fit

05NBPDC5

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
Yes, it is different. But if you are just upgrading the turbo itself, I don’t see why you would have to upgrade the MAF housing or the sensor. The turbo upgrade says a direct swap, so I’m trying to figure out where this upgrading of the MAF housing is coming from. Unless the turbo upgrade requires more modification if you have the non si trim.
Because the housing the MAF resides in directly affects the amount of air seen by the senor, which uses a 0-5v reference to tell the ECU the amount of air coming into the engine. Larger diameter housing will show less relative flow allowing for more headroom once the ecu has been mapped to account for this change. The factory arrangement will be near maximum voltage with this turbo it sounds like.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because the housing the MAF resides in directly affects the amount of air seen by the senor, which uses a 0-5v reference to tell the ECU the amount of air coming into the engine. Larger diameter housing will show less relative flow allowing for more headroom once the ecu has been mapped to account for this change.
I understand that part.

05NBPDC5

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
The MAF discussion only came about because of the base not having the capacity to go much past what the upgraded turbo will provide. No physical changes are required, so fitment is no issue.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The MAF discussion only came about because of the base not having the capacity to go much past what the upgraded turbo will provide. No physical changes are required, so fitment is no issue.
That’s what I was trying to get at.. thank you. So if you have the non si and upgrade the turbo, what else is needed besides the tune? That’s the concern. Or do you need to have the Si/crv turbo to do the upgrade? It kinda sounds like it’s smarter to get the Si turbo and then do the upgrade.

05NBPDC5

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
That's what Vit was suggesting in posts 18 & 26. Said you could send in a base turbo to be modified but probably wouldn't make as much power. The basis of the upgrade is definitely the Si/CRV turbo.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.