CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Yeah, it’s strage. But actually not the eu is the one forcing turbos and small displacement engines, at least not directly. They are forcing low consumption to car makers. And the test method they used forced car makers to use amall engines and turbos, because that was the combination that fulfilled the requirements but as you wrote only in the tests! Not in the real word. VW is the master of small displacement engines. Here every base model comes with 1.0 L turbo, and it has been like that in the last 10 years.
However, I can’t say that those cars actually consume more, but smaller engine as you wrote does not mean smaller consumption. My current civic 1.5 turbo consumes less than my previous 1.8 na in every traffic situation and the 1.8 was 50-80 kg lighter. BUT (you can check Spritmonitor.de/en) the real world difference between the 1.0T civic and the 1.5T civic -10th gen- is 0.2 l/100 km. The 1.0 consumes better with 3 cylinder, but still, 0.2l/100km is basically nothing! The official difference -according to the EU consumption test- is 0.8 l/100km or so. Some real world values from Spritmonitor:
please note, that most users are from Europe, the traffic situations, and so on are somewhat different here, the distances smaller mostly with a some traffic jam. Oh, and many cars are equipped with engine idle stop/start, and trim levels are usually higher than in the US.

Civic 10th gen 2.0 TurboMT (320 PS): 9.08l/100km (But who cares, this is the TypeR)
Civic 10th gen 1.5 Turbo MT (182 PS): 6.6l/100km
Civic 10th gen 1.0 Turbo MT (124 PS): 6.37l/100km
Civic 10th gen 1.5 Turbo Diesel MT: 5 l/100km
Civic 9th gen 1.8 na MT (140 PS): 7.14 l/100km
Civic 8th gen 1.8 na MT (140 PS): 7.66l/100km
VW Golf 7 GTi Turbo (220 PS) MT: 8.0l/100km
VW Golf 7 1.5 Turbo (150 PS) MT: 6.76l/100km
VW Golf 7 1.4 Turbo (125 PS) MT: 6.41l/100km
VW Golf 7 1.0 Turbo (110 PS) MT: 6.0l/100km
VW Passat 1.5 Turbo (150PS) MT: 6.7l/100km
VW Passat 2.0 TD (150 PS) MT: 5.8l/100km
Audi A3 1.0 Turbo (116 PS) MT: 6.04l/100km

-The passat is more likely to me used on longer travels tho, thats the reason why the 1.5 Golf has somewhat worse fuel economy with the 1.5 Turbo.
- Yes, there is a Diesel civic
- Yes, the base engine for the Audi A3 is a puny 116 PS 1.0 liter turbo

I think the civic’s 1.5 T engine actually came out to be good, at least in performance and fuel economy. Still, it would be nice to have the 2.0 na as an option here too. I have found no entries for the 2.0.
Sponsored

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, something like that. It seems Mazda was on the right path after all with the Skyactive and Skyactive X. But I think most manufacturers will just start producing and selling more plug-in hybrids and the result will be even more expensive cars with more components. However the Toyota HSD is quite reliable and I’m sure they will easily fulfill Euro7 with their big displacement miller-cycle gasoline plus electric motor powertrains.

Mae22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Am I the only one who needs to know if he bought the damn car?? :)

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Am I the only one who needs to know if he bought the damn car?? :)
I did buy it? and I'm going to pick it up today after work??? I can't wait!!! I was able to knock off another $300 dollars after negotiating for over an hour. They did not want to budge. It was a miracle to even get $300 off. So my total out the door prices was $23,635

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, it depends on the traffic situation. I testdrove a corolla hsd a year ago (non plugin hybrid) and I know now that there my civic consumption would have benn 8+ l/100km: traffic jam, heavy traffic in the city, some cruising, and that damn thing had a consumption of 3.9 l/100km, with cold engine at start and 20 C deg ambient temp! Unbeliveable. And it was the 2.0l 180 Hp hybrid version.
So, if someone drives a lot in the city or in heavy traffic and still wants a car that is usable on longer distances too then I can understand why someone buys a hybrid. It still takes about 50-100 thousand kms to justify the extra price compared to to a non hybrid. But don’t forget that the gas prices in Europe is higher than is the US or Canada. Before covid the cheapest gas near here was 1.3-1.4€/liter, now it’s down to around 1.1€/l. So yes, you can hypermile in long distances even with an N/a engine, but once you drive in a bad traffic jam every day and/or shorter distances too, then hybrids start to make sense in SOME cases, probably not for you, but for other people in other situations.

lradicoSI

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I also went to buy an SI this week and I too expected to negotiate down to the virus. That was not the case however and I only managed to knock $400 off the internet price.

Guess dealerships aren't doing too bad right now.

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I also went to buy an SI this week and I too expected to negotiate down to the virus. That was not the case however and I only managed to knock $400 off the internet price.

Guess dealerships aren't doing too bad right now.
I know it's BS...they won't haggle at all! And they are doing incredibly good, the dealership was packed the few days that i went there

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow! 4.2 is very low. I haven’t even heard anything like that. Is that what the onboard computer writes or waht you actually measure when refueling? To be hones it sounds strangely low consumption for such trips. And those civic dont even have idle stop/start.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OK I see. I read here that the onboard comuter is not accurate. It isnt't accurate in mine. Once or twice it looked accurate, but I just didnt fill it up correctly. Many people wrote here that they have worst mileage if they measure it after refueling. Mine consumes 0.3-0.4 l/100 km more, than it writes on the board computer. So was it by my 1.8N/A too: on average 0.4-0.5 more consumption than the BC said. And not just by my civic. That's why I always check Spritmonitor for example. There every user writes the km driven and the amount of fuel filled in the car.

" involves burning out a set of front tires every year " OMG, how do you do that??? My summer tires are michelin primacy 235/45R17 and winter tires are from goodyear, but I haven't noticed that they go bad so fast. And I even drive on the Autobahn sometimes.
Sponsored