With_extra_salt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
daydreamersco.com
Vehicle(s)
Bagged 2020 Civic Ex Hatch
Country flag
I wanted 5% all over and 70% in the front windshield and a tint place quoted me $600+ and told me that state inspection will fail with my front tints. What are the more specific tint rules for state inspection? I am aware of the new legislation making police illegal to make traffic stops or pull over people with illegal tints. I read about the 24 point inspection checklist of Virginia and nowhere did it mention an illegal tint (or I could be wrong). So will having 5% all over and 70% in the front without a medical card pass state inspection? I've heard many people run this for a couple years and assume they passed inspection. Any insight on this?
Sponsored

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My guy said he does not carry 3m, did not specify what kind of brand and type,
you should ask him, if he didn't even specify then that's superrrr pricey but idk if virginia is much different than jersey. you'd pay maybe $150-$200 for a hatchback tint here.

sorry i can't help with your main question though, just wanted to chime in w that

OP
OP
With_extra_salt

With_extra_salt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
daydreamersco.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
you should ask him, if he didn't even specify then that's superrrr pricey but idk if virginia is much different than jersey. you'd pay maybe $150-$200 for a hatchback tint here.

sorry i can't help with your main question though, just wanted to chime in w that
He did mention on the civic hatchbacks on the back of the little duckbill spoiler he would need to remove that to have a perfect fitment, I did have tints before and they didnt remove it

xsichris

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I had my Type R tinted with XPel Ceramic tint for 399 here in Jersey. They had a civic hatch door of their own to use to stretch the film eventhough they printed a precut film. I also got quoted at a different shop for ceramic tint at 299 and they told me they did not need to remove the spoiler and they would cut by hand.
Really depends on the shop, I would shop around bud but 600 seems a bit excessive IMO, specially if it is not Ceramic
Good luck!

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anything on the front windshield will fail at most inspection stations I'm pretty sure. As far as the sides and rear, I'd say anything goes. They can no longer pull you over for an expired inspection as a primary cause by the way. That was one of the movements from primary to secondary along with tint, expired tags, headlight(s) being out, taillight(s), smell of pot coming from the car, and quite a few others. As such, I tinted my windshield 20% and the rest with a red tint. I don't give them a reason to pull me over but many of the cops around here have tried to follow me waiting for a reason to pull me.

Here is the link that bill that passed in 2020.

OP
OP
With_extra_salt

With_extra_salt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
daydreamersco.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anything on the front windshield will fail at most inspection stations I'm pretty sure. As far as the sides and rear, I'd say anything goes. They can no longer pull you over for an expired inspection as a primary cause by the way. That was one of the movements from primary to secondary along with tint, expired tags, headlight(s) being out, taillight(s), smell of pot coming from the car, and quite a few others. As such, I tinted my windshield 20% and the rest with a red tint. I don't give them a reason to pull me over but many of the cops around here have tried to follow me waiting for a reason to pull me.

Here is the link that bill that passed in 2020.
Will tinting the front be a reason for them to pull ne over? Just went from 35 to 5 all over and debating on the front 70 or 50

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Will tinting the front be a reason for them to pull ne over? Just went from 35 to 5 all over and debating on the front 70 or 50
At the very bottom of the law section it has this in italics:

No law-enforcement officer shall stop a motor vehicle for a violation of this section. No evidence discovered or obtained as the result of a stop in violation of this subsection, including evidence discovered or obtained with the operator's consent, shall be admissible in any trial, hearing, or other proceeding.

This is why many lawyers, cops, and judges were upset with this being passed into law. This effectively moves it into the secondary violation category meaning if they pull you over for something like say speeding then they can tack these on. If they pull you over and the reason they cite you is window tint, it will get thrown out in court because that would violate that clause at the very bottom.

Something as light as what you're suggesting shouldn't give you any trouble. Depending on the inspection station, they may even overlook that particular tint but you'll have to get lucky. I won't name any inspection stations or inspectors I know and many others who have 'the hook up' won't either. They risk losing their job, being fined, and a bunch of other legal mumbo jumbo.

This is my windshield with 20% btw.

Honda Civic 10th gen Virginia Tints 217558846_235016461776199_5627294844045700780_n

OP
OP
With_extra_salt

With_extra_salt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
daydreamersco.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
At the very bottom of the law section it has this in italics:

No law-enforcement officer shall stop a motor vehicle for a violation of this section. No evidence discovered or obtained as the result of a stop in violation of this subsection, including evidence discovered or obtained with the operator's consent, shall be admissible in any trial, hearing, or other proceeding.

This is why many lawyers, cops, and judges were upset with this being passed into law. This effectively moves it into the secondary violation category meaning if they pull you over for something like say speeding then they can tack these on. If they pull you over and the reason they cite you is window tint, it will get thrown out in court because that would violate that clause at the very bottom.

Something as light as what you're suggesting shouldn't give you any trouble. Depending on the inspection station, they may even overlook that particular tint but you'll have to get lucky. I won't name any inspection stations or inspectors I know and many others who have 'the hook up' won't either. They risk losing their job, being fined, and a bunch of other legal mumbo jumbo.

This is my windshield with 20% btw.

217558846_235016461776199_5627294844045700780_n.jpg
Oh hey Rob, hows Noble Society doing with fk7 Showty?

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh hey Rob, hows Noble Society doing with fk7 Showty?
We're doing great! We have banners coming soon so I'll be swapping over to Noble when they do. I think it was Baymax, Showty, and I that first met up and 'founded' the 10thgensocietyva. They're good people so it's more about the friends for me than the club. It is fun to have everyone repping a singular club though and pull up together to meats. I stay busy with work and I just recently bought a house so that kinda limits me going out as much for events. I was at the past H Day but had the 'rona (symptoms showed after the first day) so I decided to drive home with my (now ex) girlfriend so I didn't get everyone else sick.
Sponsored