First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone else noticed a massive uptick in violence, especially shootouts, at car meets lately? I live in Rochester NY so it's not exactly the safest place around, but I never have worried about much of anything, ESPECIALLY at car meets. I've been here about 8 years and it has always been simple: stay away from a few blocks in the city and you're good to go. I heard (second hand info, can't find the stories to verify) that there were like 2 or 3 incidents this past weekend ALONE. That is insane. Oh and these aren't takeover events, we thankfully don't really have those here... Not sure what is going on out there, but I have a few theories (and in no particular order):

- After the initial scare of COVID and the riots that were taking place, a ridiculous number of people marched right out to their local Dick's Sporting Goods and picked up whatever they could in case of total anarchy. Now everyone's strapped.

- The divide between the left and the right is worse than ever. Don't need to say more lol.

- The society that we now live in where everyone has to be better than everyone else. People start a bit of banter, maybe so-and-so's car is faster, etc. Things start to get heated, tensions rise, and next thing you know shots get fired. I have started to believe that some folks simply can't handle not having what others have. Sure, we all have our moments of jealousy, but honestly I really do think this has a bit more to do with violence than it should. And the worst part is, once you become an adult you realize that you can drive a Mercedes, BMW or go get a fast sports car on most any budget if you're willing to grind and sacrifice other things. You'd have to find a cheap housing situation and live in squalor, and maybe you eat ramen most days, but hey it does mean that much to some people that they will do it... If you've never driven through a mobile home park, it's usually surprising how many newer or more expensive cars are there.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree? What did I miss? I could be waaaay the hell off the mark, or I could be close. I'm just grasping at straws. I'm sure I could come up with more but it's a good starting point.

Any and all civil discussion is welcome - I'm just trying to wrap my head around this insanity and usually we have some fantastic discourse here on the forum. Would love to hear others share ideas, opinions and points of view on this.
Sponsored

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
This maybe a little off track of the post. I’m originally from NY ( Long Island) I’ve been a car enthusiast since I was a kid. And going to car show with my older brother when I was a kid to adult was always fun
and I’ve noticed over the years most of the people that went to the shows were car enthusiast in NY. And I’ve gone to the car show in Hershey Pennsylvania from 1995 to 2011 every year in October ( around Columbus Day) When I moved to Florida in 2014 I thought car shows will be better since the temperatures are warmer and there would be a lot more older cars since they wouldn’t be rotted away by road salt and turn into bondo queens like unfortunately the older cars in the north. As I’ve gone to shows down here I realize that there isn’t many car enthusiast in Florida. Yes they have older cars ( muscle cars mustangs Camaros ) but I noticed most of these so called enthusiast or look what my retirement money got me. when I asked them about their car they have no clue what they really have
for example I gentleman had a 1968 chevelle SS and stated that it was all original with a 454 I said was the 454 installed by him he told me it was factory I replied by saying so it a 427 because Chevy did not have the 454 in 68 he turned his head and ignored me.
but he was boosting the fact that he paid 70k for his 68 chevelle ( wi the wrong engine) and I’m sorry I wouldn’t pay the ridiculous prices for these old cars ( you could thank Barrett Jackson for that) I remember my brother would buy these muscle cars in the late seventies for a few hundred or people would tell him if you can pull it away from the yard it yours . And another thing if you don’t own a truck down here you are nothing in their eyes
maybe I’m a little old fashioned at 53
but being in Florida and NY New Yorkers ( and northerners)
are a little more passionate and knowledgeable about their cars
btw OP you mentioned about newer and expensive cars being park in trailer parks yes there’s a lot down here

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Totally OP. After 2 years in car scene, now playing a bit in sport shooting, I keep a distance from most man child community for a reason, also i am selective on who i hang out with. in car scene, it is the fight between brands. In the gun community, it is the subtle showing off who has the nice gears, the push for buying the $1500 nightforce scope even though the gun will stay in the safe and wont see a second of combat. funny story, i was picking up an entry level AR. while waiting for the paper work, this old guy (grey white bear and hair) chatted with me. It didnt take more than 3 sentence for him to drop off the fact that he has a LMT (High end $2000 AR)

We live in a consumerism culture. and as my favorite business mentor GaryVee said it,

Alot of people never graduated High school mentally

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Just to add in the late eighties early nineties on deer park avenue ( many long islanders know it as DPA ) would race from light to light some where a quarter mile apart by the most part every one was pretty friendly even if you lost . The most if any arguments was if someone was talking to someone else girlfriend but this was thirty years ago
Sponsored