rhuel

First Name
Rhuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I ordered new OEM H Marks from Honda and attempted wrapping them with leftover VViVid Gloss black vinyl I had from my window trim.

It was a bit tedious, but it was going very well, until my bad eyes and poor judgement on how much material I needed to leave behind to finish the wrap made it all go south in a big hurry. 5th pic shows the goof. 6th shows how good it was going to look :(

I'll be starting over later this week or weekend...at least I have a ton of vinyl leftover...

Honda Civic 10th gen Vinyl wrapping H Marks - all good, until it wasn't 20210309_153626

Honda Civic 10th gen Vinyl wrapping H Marks - all good, until it wasn't 20210309_154005

Honda Civic 10th gen Vinyl wrapping H Marks - all good, until it wasn't 20210309_155359

Honda Civic 10th gen Vinyl wrapping H Marks - all good, until it wasn't 20210309_160807

Honda Civic 10th gen Vinyl wrapping H Marks - all good, until it wasn't 20210309_161038

Honda Civic 10th gen Vinyl wrapping H Marks - all good, until it wasn't IMG_20210309_162127_01

IonEX-T

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-t
Country flag
vinyl is tricky, you think its perfect until its not lol

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah i'm very good with vinyl wrap but there are times when plasti dip is just SO MUCH better for the job...window trims and these emblems plasti dip wins every time it's so much easier to do and it'll last a lot longer too...

EDIT: HERE, does these cuts next time, and fold with heat.

Honda Civic 10th gen Vinyl wrapping H Marks - all good, until it wasn't 1615428772070

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhuel

rhuel

First Name
Rhuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Yeah i'm very good with vinyl wrap but there are times when plasti dip is just SO MUCH better for the job...window trims and these emblems plasti dip wins every time it's so much easier to do and it'll last a lot longer too...
Yeah, I did the window trim in vinyl and it turned out great and I did the rear H Mark in Plasti Dip and Glossifier and it turned out as good as I could have hoped for (smooth, satin finish), but in certain lighting/angles it just looks "gray". Not sure I love it. See below for the pics in different lighting and angles.

I think I'll give the wrap a few more tries before giving up. That's why I bought new F/R emblems so I don't have to be in a hurry.

Honda Civic 10th gen Vinyl wrapping H Marks - all good, until it wasn't 20210304_083441

Honda Civic 10th gen Vinyl wrapping H Marks - all good, until it wasn't 20210304_083432

Honda Civic 10th gen Vinyl wrapping H Marks - all good, until it wasn't 20210304_083420

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
vivvid is harder to use imo. 3m or avery

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I did the window trim in vinyl and it turned out great and I did the rear H Mark in Plasti Dip and Glossifier and it turned out as good as I could have hoped for (smooth, satin finish), but in certain lighting/angles it just looks "gray". Not sure I love it. See below for the pics in different lighting and angles.

I think I'll give the wrap a few more tries before giving up. That's why I bought new F/R emblems so I don't have to be in a hurry.
i can see that...wierd i did all my window trims with black mate plasti dip and it looks black from every angles...i did not used glossifier but i heard good things about it...how many layers of the black plasti dip did you put on? are you using the brand plasti dip or some dupli color or other brand?

i think maybe you put too much of the glossifier and not enough black so it give this effect.

Last edited:

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
BTW your vinyl i think you were doing great...
put some heat and stretch it a bit more pushing in and then cut with an exacto knife leaving a generous amount, heat again and so some very tiny cuts and fold everything underneath...

from what i can see in your final picture this work was good you just didnt leave you enough material to fold under.

EDIT: HERE, does these cuts next time, and fold with heat.

1615428772070.png

OP
OP
rhuel

rhuel

First Name
Rhuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I went with a very light base coat of Plasti Dip (actual brand name) and then I think 3 or 4 more coats increasingly getting "wetter" each time allowing probably an hour between coats, then hit it with I think a light coat of Glossifier (Plasti Dip brand) and then a wetter one. Like I said, it turned out about as good as I could have hoped for and in outdoor lighting, it does look more black than gray, it's just the super low angle in that lighting that made it look a bit gray.

And yeah, I trimmed (unintentionally) way too much material in the middle. I knew how much I wanted to leave, but my hand didn't guide the razor where my brain told it to.

To get to where I did before I screwed up took about 40 minutes of slowly heating, stretching, heating, stretching...I was very happy with adhesion on the back and the way it looked on the front and the edges...then I cut out the middle area and it all went down the crapper.

As I said, these are spare badges I can take my time on blacking out in some manner and not worry about being badgeless on my car while I get them fixed up.

Something I thought of this morning...I'm thinking I will remove the CIVIC letters altogether on the trunk, but I want to keep the Si emblem...how can I black out the sides and leave the red inset area of the Si?