First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So my boyfriend was nice enough to bring me home some Oracle 651 glossy black vinyl. Tried to apply it twice to the chrome trim on the back window (small rear one) and both times failed. What am I doing wrong? I used a slip solution on both sides and was able to get it on but the only issue I’m having is trimming off the excess. I have one of those exacto blades to cut around but I’m scared I’m gonna cut into the rubber trim and my windows start leaking :( I live in Jacksonville, FL and was hoping if someone lives in the area can refer me to someone to get the chrome pieces wrapped so I’m not trying to DIY myself. So yeah, any recommendations I would appreciate it! Thanks!
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
You could try layering masking tape around the edges to give you a small bit of breathing room to make the cuts.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You could try layering masking tape around the edges to give you a small bit of breathing room to make the cuts.
I’ve seen people use straight razors or you can get knifeless tape off amazon but it’s expensive. I messed up twice now and I don’t want to mess up again. And keep wasting vinyl lol I’m not even sure if the gloss black will even look right with the black plastic under the chrome trim piece.

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the sedan doors are like the coupe, you can tuck the slight excess between the metal part of the door and the weather stripping. No need to cut rubber. The only part that was nerve-racking was the rear window, where you are definitely cutting on rubber. I just double layered painters tape and it was no problem. Took me several hours but lasted until I sold the car. Patience is key. Don't be in a rush to get it done and it's not too bad of a job!

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the sedan doors are like the coupe, you can tuck the slight excess between the metal part of the door and the weather stripping. No need to cut rubber. The only part that was nerve-racking was the rear window, where you are definitely cutting on rubber. I just double layered painters tape and it was no problem. Took me several hours but lasted until I sold the car. Patience is key. Don't be in a rush to get it done and it's not too bad of a job!
Yeah I’m hesitant about using a straight razor on the rear windows. I’m thinking of ordering the knife less tape and see if that will help. I tried to use the exacto knife but I can’t cut straight apparently lol ?

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
There are vinyl tapes you can get specifically for cutting vinyl. It’s called knifeless tape. I too faced this problem...

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are vinyl tapes you can get specifically for cutting vinyl. It’s called knifeless tape. I too faced this problem...
Yes! I’m thinking of getting that lol just to be on the safe side. Definitely don’t want to cut into rubber and have to replace that. Not sure how much that would cost me anyways.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I think most people use satin black to match the trim better. Knifeless tape can be tricky to use, watch some tutorials and practice it before actually using it to save some headache.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Get one of those retractable xzacto blades, and only have a very small tip sticking out when cutting. It’ll be out enough to cut the vinyl, but not out enough to cut the rubber.

I haven’t done it myself, but this video is pretty informative.

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get one of those retractable xzacto blades, and only have a very small tip sticking out when cutting. It’ll be out enough to cut the vinyl, but not out enough to cut the rubber.

I haven’t done it myself, but this video is pretty informative.

I like this. I think I’ll either use the retractable xacto knife or the knifeless tape. The knifeless tape looks like a PITA to use. IMO.
Sponsored