Video: Sneak Peek at the 2016 Honda Civic [TFLcar]

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
That's not "dual exhaust". It's only dual mufflers.

It looks like (hopefully) the gas gauge works just like an analog meter, instead of having specific digital points that it moves to.

Overall I like the car, except:
The black unpainted plastic around the fog lights. But even (much) worse is that they protrude out. I see this possibly changing during the mid-gen refresh.
The black unpainted plastic on the back bumper.
The wheels. Especially below the EX-T.
No volume knob.

On TOV, comments from two different people I thought were funny were:
"Wheels are of course awful."
and
"Honda should hire me as a consultant on their wheel designs....or anybody really."
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't hate the wheel designs. If you look at most of the mass market car companies like toyota, kia, hyundai etc they're all doing the two tone flat cutout wheel designs. It's just what the current trend is. I don't mind them, they have way more visual appeal that just solid silver spoke design wheels honda used on the 8th gen and early 9th gens.

I don't mind the black plastic either. I do with that it was glossy instead of flat black, but a can of plastidip gloss can fix that.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
^ Yes we know you like the wheels. :)

Actually the "solid silver spoke design wheels honda used on the 8th gen and early 9th gens" look much much better, and you didn't see complaints online about them like you do with the 10th gen's.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^ Yes we know you like the wheels. :)

Actually the "solid silver spoke design wheels honda used on the 8th gen and early 9th gens" look much much better, and you didn't see complaints online about them like you do with the 10th gen's.
Design and what people like is subjective. Everyone likes something different. I saw a guy online griping that he hated LED lights... you can't make everyone happy. Current market trends are what they are. And ive seen plenty of people gripe about the 8th and 9th gen wheels online. So saying "it looks better" is subjective, its an opinion not a fact, so don't state it as such.

When i state that i like the wheels it's an opinion. While saying "industry trends" have them putting wheels like that is a fact.

Hermie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Civic Sedan, 69 Mustang.
Love the White. Can't wait to see the Si sedans.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Design and what people like is subjective. Everyone likes something different. I saw a guy online griping that he hated LED lights... you can't make everyone happy. Current market trends are what they are. And ive seen plenty of people gripe about the 8th and 9th gen wheels online. So saying "it looks better" is subjective, its an opinion not a fact, so don't state it as such.

When i state that i like the wheels it's an opinion. While saying "industry trends" have them putting wheels like that is a fact.
But as I posted, I've seen quite a few people on other sites like TOV and autoguide that don't like the wheels, and as I know you've seen on CivicX where several people post that they don't like the wheels. Doing something only because it's a trend, popular, others do it, etc. is never a good idea whether you're a business or individual, and something I've never done myself.

Yes I meant to say "in my opinion" but forgot. I don't remember any 8th-9th gen wheel complaints. Heck, they could have put the old 8th gen Si wheels on this 10th gen and I'd bet there would be fewer complaints.

It's really is OK if I and others say a few negative things about the Civic, and there's no need for you to defend Honda every time. We all like Honda or we wouldn't be here. And even you said a couple negative things about it yourself. And also as you say, you can't make everyone happy. If you could, these threads wouldn't be as fun.

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Sneak peek look at the 2016 Honda Civic ahead of the October 19 reviews.

At the 5:41 mark in the video, above the left shoulder of Jason there is something I can not explain.

On the pillars behind the front seats, on both sides, there are hooks of some sort, at first I thought perhaps a coat hook possibly, but on the "OH shit!" handle (aka grab handle) above the back drivers side door there is a fold down coat hook.

Can anyone tell me what these small hook things are for?

Thanks!

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like maybe it's just another extra coat hook type thing... no other explanation for them.

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Looks like maybe it's just another extra coat hook type thing... no other explanation for them.
I thought that too, but the one on the passenger side would technically impair vision if one was looking out that side of the vehicle for a lane change, BUT perhaps that's another reason for the camera in the mirror.

Just to screw with the sales person when I go to get my car, I will ask!

I'm a pain like that.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had a good laugh this morning, the folks at Motortrend are reporting the photos of the Type R and are calling it a sedan...

They're obviously completely blind, because anyone who would look at this hatch and see any similarity to the back end or silhouette of the sedan is either blind or insane. They claim the spoiler is what makes it look different... completely ignoring the fact it has a split rear window and has a very similar shape to the Euro civic hatches from the last 2 generations. I don't even know why i still use their website. Their instrumented tests and reviews tend to be good, but their reporting skills on new products is awful.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
They're calling it a sedan because it looks like one. We enthusiasts know better, but it is not truly a hatch as we expect. Shame too. This shape is not very useful as a 5 door. The gen1 Mazda 6 was the same way. They had a liftback version that looked exactly like the sedan.
We have an Impreza 5 door and it's useful. We have carried a washer, a dryer and a new in box 60" tv with the hatch closed.
What Honda has done is severely reduced the usefulness of the hatch while increasing platform cost. Bummer!

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They're calling it a sedan because it looks like one. We enthusiasts know better, but it is not truly a hatch as we expect. Shame too. This shape is not very useful as a 5 door. The gen1 Mazda 6 was the same way. They had a liftback version that looked exactly like the sedan.
We have an Impreza 5 door and it's useful. We have carried a washer, a dryer and a new in box 60" tv with the hatch closed.
What Honda has done is severely reduced the usefulness of the hatch while increasing platform cost. Bummer!
Again.. not any different from what they did on the 8th or 9th gen hatches... so i'm not really shocked at the shape they chose for the back end....

And you can't really say that a CAR MAGAZINE like motortrend isn't enthusiast oriented... they should know better... it's just sloppy reporting on their part

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Again.. not any different from what they did on the 8th or 9th gen hatches... so i'm not really shocked at the shape they chose for the back end....

And you can't really say that a CAR MAGAZINE like motortrend isn't enthusiast oriented... they should know better... it's just sloppy reporting on their part
The CTR looks like a sedan. To CivicX enthusiasts "obviously" the rear profile is slightly different, and CivicX enthusiasts can "clearly" see the split rear window and unique tails.
But to everyone else it looks like a sedan.
And I am unfamiliar with Gen8/9 Civics as both never caught my attention and I don't think I've seen a 5 door in person.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Motortrend admitted they didn't look closely at the pictures and are going to change the text of the article, they actually responded to my comment i made on their site.

It might look more sedan like... but again, Motortrend is a car magazine... therefore they SHOULD be auto enthusiasts enough to be able to look at the CTR pics and clearly see that it isn't at all the same sloped profile of the sedan... This isn't the first time they've been guilty of sloppy reporting/not checking facts and sources.

Maxtierney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Acura Integra, 2002 Honda Civic, 2007 Honda Odyssey, 2002 Vespa ET4
Country flag
The real question is why have them at all? Two mufflers is heavier than one and when companies are trying to lightweight as much as possible this doesn't make sense to me... and then they hide them on top of it.:dunno:
Yeah I really see no reason for them to do the dual exhaust and then hide it. I'm almost certain there is not much if any performance benefit, especially since the split is near the rear of the car.
I believe it's a space issue. Looking at the underside of the car, you can see that the wheels are pushed further out, toward the corners. The 2016 routing of the single exhaust pipe is now centerline vs. the previous generations' right side (above the rear trailing arm). The old setup placed the muffler longitudinally, and terminated with a single exhaust tip, because there was sufficient space due to the rear overhang. With the new car, the overhang is much smaller. This doesn't allow for a decently sized cannister to be placed there lengthwise. The spare tirewell placement prohibited using a laterally positioned muffler / angled single exhaust. The only solution was to split the exhaust and tuck into smaller mufflers into the corner pockets of space between the well and the behind the suspension. Compounding this issue, was the decision to hide the tips, which decreased the available space too. This may also be part the reason for the slight hump in the the rear passenger footwell, tucking some of the piping (for ground clearance because of the lower ride height), as well as adding some torsional rigidity. However, some speculate that the hump is there for the possible addition of SH-AWD. We'll see...

(sorry for any grammar / typo issues, I'm posting this on my phone)
Honda Civic 10th gen Video: Sneak Peek at the 2016 Honda Civic [TFLcar] 22031157288_1011175d92_b
Sponsored

Last edited: