Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Is this an issue for stock Si's? I don't intend to drive through standing pools of water but as OP found out seems like it's unavoidable sometimes... I'd never heard of hydrolock prior to seeing it on these forums... I don't quite understand what it means but sounds disastrous. I'm not planning any mods, for now...

Sorry, OP, to hear of the trouble... Hope it turns out ok!
We had some pretty brutal rain storms recently here in MA and I had to drive through 6 inches of standing water on 2 occasions (streets were closed due to flooding forcing me to take alternate routes). I had no problems - I kept the engine revs up in 1st so no water got in the tail pipe. The stock air intake is so high up in the engine bay that your car would fill with water before it sucked any water into the engine through the air filter. It is difficult to know what kind of waves are created under the car when driving through standing water, but I suppose it is quite possible to suck up water if it is 6 inches deep and slops up while your are displacing it and it reaches 12" even momentarily.

Sorry for your woes, hope it just caused the sensors to shut the car down.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
We had some pretty brutal rain storms recently here in MA and I had to drive through 6 inches of standing water on 2 occasions (streets were closed due to flooding forcing me to take alternate routes). I had no problems - I kept the engine revs up in 1st so no water got in the tail pipe. The stock air intake is so high up in the engine bay that your car would fill with water before it sucked any water into the engine through the air filter. It is difficult to know what kind of waves are created under the car when driving through standing water, but I suppose it is quite possible to suck up water if it is 6 inches deep and slops up while your are displacing it and it reaches 12" even momentarily.

Sorry for your woes, hope it just caused the sensors to shut the car down.
Late to the game good sir lol. Also, are you from the future or are the 2107 Civics already out? LOL!
Read up if you wish, if not, I'll be posting the full list of repairs that were needed later tonight.

Spoiler alert - just picked up a bank check for $8,981.07. FINALFUCKINGLY I'll be picking up my baby tonight. I didn't have a name for my car, nor did I care to. I feel like its silly and I am not Nicholas Cage...(I feel like thats something Ron Swanson would say). But after all those horseshit, unfortunate events that have taken place over the last 37 days between the drowning, the dealership and my insurance company, I think I will call her, Phoenix.

Meh. That's stupid too.

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Here’s the repair list as promised. Should have just given me a new car. They got a blue one in I want lol. But, car seems to be running great. Boosts fine, sounds fine, not issues to speak of. The steering wheel seems loose, maybe I just didn’t notice the play in it before but I’m still probably going to inquire about it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Victim of a flooded street...your thoughts 7394EA9E-0398-4DEB-B31B-2E482443385A

Honda Civic 10th gen Victim of a flooded street...your thoughts 586C1D91-FA8A-4BA9-8789-09083B327823

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here’s the repair list as promised. Should have just given me a new car. They got a blue one in I want lol. But, car seems to be running great. Boosts fine, sounds fine, not issues to speak of. The steering wheel seems loose, maybe I just didn’t notice the play in it before but I’m still probably going to inquire about it.

7394EA9E-0398-4DEB-B31B-2E482443385A.jpeg

586C1D91-FA8A-4BA9-8789-09083B327823.jpeg
That is about what I expected. Glad to hear it all worked out for you OP.

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
That is about what I expected. Glad to hear it all worked out for you OP.
Close to what I expected as well. A touch more. But the cars going back. I’ve got a weird amount of play and knocking sounds in the steering wheel. They had to disconnect the steering column and rack so I’m guessing they didn’t tighten something or do something right... figures.

Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Late to the game good sir lol. Also, are you from the future or are the 2107 Civics already out? LOL!
Read up if you wish, if not, I'll be posting the full list of repairs that were needed later tonight.

Spoiler alert - just picked up a bank check for $8,981.07. FINALFUCKINGLY I'll be picking up my baby tonight. I didn't have a name for my car, nor did I care to. I feel like its silly and I am not Nicholas Cage...(I feel like thats something Ron Swanson would say). But after all those horseshit, unfortunate events that have taken place over the last 37 days between the drowning, the dealership and my insurance company, I think I will call her, Phoenix.

Meh. That's stupid too.
They are faster than the Type Rs of the past! (Dyslexia strikes again!) Neptune might be a better name!

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got the PRL SRI. I was going to just leave the stock box, but I got it from the member classifieds here for a price that I couldn't refuse. Obviously it will be hotter than CAI, but I'm curious how it compares to stock (which can get pretty hot too I've got to say). I'll try to gather some semi-detailed but still anecdotal information on it for you. I figured the good thing also was that I could just buy the CAI conversion and still come out ahead, though your story gives me pause on that.
That bill :eek:

FWIW I've been running the PRL SRI for a week now and post-IC air temps are very close to if not identical to the stock air box. I really can't tell much difference at all. I don't think the stock box is as good a heat insulator as some might imagine. I've actually been a bit surprised. Obviously that is going to be higher than a CAI, but I don't think I'd be putting a CAI back on my car after this.

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I see 4 on the first page and 4 on the second. $25 a plug seems steep... but yeah... there's definitely ~$200 worth of plugs there total.
I didn’t notice that. I’d be all over them for that but... the insurance company can argue that if they want. Unless there’s some reason why they would have needed to order 4 again.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow what a story , so did you kept the parts they got replaced? Like the engine block and turbo ?

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Wow what a story , so did you kept the parts they got replaced? Like the engine block and turbo ?
I did not. But when I pick my car up again I was planning to ask them what parts they still have and take whatever they have.
Sponsored