Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I should have said, my policy doesnt state that aftermarket parts or damage caused by a mod will not be covered. I get your logic though. The GM told me last night that in his 11 years with Honda hes never seen a hydrolocked car. He's also never seen insurance cover a "modified car" when the mod caused the damage. So, I get it.
I ended up walking in to the dealership last night and finding the GM and having a sit down with him to talk about his dick service manager. I didnt get the car back, was told it was done, but apparently what he meant was (in words) "the car is done, minus putting the new head in". So its not done. Me and the GM went to the shop to see where things stood. It wasn't even close to being done. The head was being put in still, everything disconnected, exhaust parts laying on the ground, intake still not back in. Then I find out, if they knew I didnt have rental coverage, they would have put in one of their cars. Well, they did know, thats why I was told to go to enterprise as they give discounts to people who have cars at Lia for service. The GM then told me today that this has all be a case of he said/she said and he has to believe and back his employees first. So, customers second I guess.
Who's your insurer though? I may have to switch from State Farm.

As far as the dealer bullshit, it wouldn't be a dealership if it wasn't a pain in the ass. Sorry you're dealing with that. If there's a good dealership out there I've yet to find one.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Who's your insurer though? I may have to switch from State Farm.

As far as the dealer bullshit, it wouldn't be a dealership if it wasn't a pain in the ass. Sorry you're dealing with that. If there's a good dealership out there I've yet to find one.
I haven't dealt with the service side, but from purchasing my car at Balise, I have nothing bad to say about my experience there. That being said, they're a business and big business don't take care of their customers. They check to be sure the customer put money in their pockets first. From what I've been told the service manager at Lia is a totally different person to actual paying customers. I got pushed aside next to the trash because insurance is paying for it and I'm not paying out of pocket. Stupid, but thats the way they are there. I have MetLife for insurance. Their coverage is good, and apparently their adjuster in this area is very good, but their customer service isn't all that great. Im about to call them for the third time to have a motorcycle removed from my policy. A motorcycle that was sold three years ago...

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So let me understand this. You hydrolocked your engine because you installed a CAI. And insurance is footing the bill for this? That's kind of unheard of, isn't it?
Is that much different than being at fault in an accident and causing significant damage to the vehicle? We’d expect insurance to cover that (less deductible).

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Im going back and forth on getting the conversion kit to SRI... I surely dont want to go through this again. Sure, its easily avoidable and lesson leared, but piece of mind sake, I may have to make it a SRI.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
who are you replying to? who is "he" in this sentence? Im not all too familiar with this act.
The Honda managers and service people. Google Magnussson Moss act if you care to know why. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Even though you aren't trying to get things covered by warranty, it feels like something the dealer and honda corporate types would be mentioning "bear in mind this would not covered by warranty".

Personally I avoid dealerships like the plague. Purchase, trade-in, and recalls are the only reason I go there. I have plenty of good mechanics and shops I trust far more than a dealership, especially when dealing with a modified vehicle.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Im going back and forth on getting the conversion kit to SRI... I surely dont want to go through this again. Sure, its easily avoidable and lesson leared, but piece of mind sake, I may have to make it a SRI.
Consider the 27Won design or the Takeda, both seem to seek to pull air from outside the engine bay.

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The Honda managers and service people. Google Magnussson Moss act if you care to know why. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Even though you aren't trying to get things covered by warranty, it feels like something the dealer and honda corporate types would be mentioning "bear in mind this would not covered by warranty".

Personally I avoid dealerships like the plague. Purchase, trade-in, and recalls are the only reason I go there. I have plenty of good mechanics and shops I trust far more than a dealership, especially when dealing with a modified vehicle.
I actually was told it wouldn't be covered under warranty and to call my insurance company.

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Consider the 27Won design or the Takeda, both seem to seek to pull air from outside the engine bay.
I looked at the 27Won when shopping for a CAI. I already spent $350 on the Cobra so I'm not about to buy another intake. I'll either leave as is, or spend $25 to make a SRI. Not after having to spend 1k on the car and 4k on my dog in the last few weeks.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I looked at the 27Won when shopping for a CAI. I already spent $350 on the Cobra so I'm not about to buy another intake. I'll either leave as is, or spend $25 to make a SRI. Not after having to spend 1k on the car and 4k on my dog in the last few weeks.
I just got the PRL SRI. I was going to just leave the stock box, but I got it from the member classifieds here for a price that I couldn't refuse. Obviously it will be hotter than CAI, but I'm curious how it compares to stock (which can get pretty hot too I've got to say). I'll try to gather some semi-detailed but still anecdotal information on it for you. I figured the good thing also was that I could just buy the CAI conversion and still come out ahead, though your story gives me pause on that.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I'm not very surprised they covered it. Insurance business is based on probability and their operating experience. They checked how many times they had to pay in the past the claim of an engine wrecked because of modified intake and hydrolocking in a puddle of water. They may have found zero past claims. Big insurance companies are happy to pay such type of claims because replacing an engine in such events once in a blue moon is just lint in their pockets and they wish they only had claims of this sort.

If you have a fender bender they might fight like a lion to avoid paying, because that's where their money goes.

As everyone who watches TV may know, the current advertising of at least one company is based on boasting how strange claims they have paid in the past and I believe they actua(ria)lly did. They could make a commercial based on this case. Such claims will certainly not bankrupt an insurance company.

https://www.farmers.com/learn/unbelievable-claims/stranger-insurance-claims/

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not very surprised they covered it. Insurance business is based on probability and their operating experience. They checked how many times they had to pay in the past the claim of an engine wrecked because of modified exhaust and hydrolocking in a puddle of water.
Exhaust?:confused:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Last edited: