Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
consider yourself lucky! Over here you would just get a kick in the butt by the insurance because the intake was modified.
I'm sure you are right, but it's not just being lucky. In the US people tend to be overinsured simply because of the competition and the aggressiveness of the insurance companies that are eager to sell more, like every business. So they gladly insure modifications, but of course not gratis. Their customers pay for it. Very small % have any mods, even less have mods affecting the risk. To see how lucky an US insured is compared to the PRC, you would need to compare the premiums they pay.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
This is closer to a $10,000 problem than a $3,700 problem. (assuming new OEM parts and the dealer fixing everything)

Good luck OP. I’m sure if you fight long enough you’ll get it all taken care of.
It was at $3700 for just the short block and labor. I don't have an updated appraisal or any supplemental checks so I can't say how costly its become. I'm interested to see what its going to cost whats all is said and done though. Hopefully the next update I have for you all, its to say I've got my car back, no issues and a final summary of what was damaged/repaired.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
It was at $3700 for just the short block and labor. I don't have an updated appraisal or any supplemental checks so I can't say how costly its become. I'm interested to see what its going to cost whats all is said and done though. Hopefully the next update I have for you all, its to say I've got my car back, no issues and a final summary of what was damaged/repaired.
I know this is frustrating when the insurance co. wants to piecemeal this but $3700 to replace the block seems very fair.

If I was in your shoes I would certainly want them to be more proactive, but as a troubleshooter, I wouldn't throw parts at the repair either. It's a shitty situation and I hope everything works out for you.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly, it was foolish if they replaced the short block and tried to fire it up without draining the intake path. I'm not sure even how that's possible... still, all that piping is air tight past the drain hole that oughta be in the air box... so its certainly water tight.

I don't know why they would have done that. Even if they wanted to try and recover the old block... draining the intake path was necessary. Been there... done that.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
well they dont care about getting it done fast because they still have a car to drive of their own.

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
After a fiasco with the service manager who was a real dick. Took 7 phone calls to him, all of which he was "unavailable", and an 8th call to the GM who had to go tell the manager to do his job and get me the answers I'm looking for. He eventually did call me and after flip flopping on his story and whats going on, and me calling him on it and him getting pissed off at me, he told my adjuster is going out today to approve the finished repair and "hopefully I can finally get your car out of my shop by the end of the day".

In any event, its nice to now know that I can't expect much of anything from the service department at Lia Honda. The techs are great, they're all very capable. But the advisors are mediocre at best, they can't seem to give consistent or accurate information (I was told monday night that more parts needed to be ordered and the adjuster was coming out to approve that... but thats not the case at all), and the manager is terrible. After speaking with a couple other people who have had to deal with him, and a few people who work there that I know personally, this is just how he is. I guess hes not very well liked there. Good to know....

So, 28 days later I should be getting my baby back.

I'll post the final repair list up once I get it.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
After a fiasco with the service manager who was a real dick. Took 7 phone calls to him, all of which he was "unavailable", and an 8th call to the GM who had to go tell the manager to do his job and get me the answers I'm looking for. He eventually did call me and after flip flopping on his story and whats going on, and me calling him on it and him getting pissed off at me, he told my adjuster is going out today to approve the finished repair and "hopefully I can finally get your car out of my shop by the end of the day".

In any event, its nice to now know that I can't expect much of anything from the service department at Lia Honda. The techs are great, they're all very capable. But the advisors are mediocre at best, they can't seem to give consistent or accurate information (I was told monday night that more parts needed to be ordered and the adjuster was coming out to approve that... but thats not the case at all), and the manager is terrible. After speaking with a couple other people who have had to deal with him, and a few people who work there that I know personally, this is just how he is. I guess hes not very well liked there. Good to know....

So, 28 days later I should be getting my baby back.

I'll post the final repair list up once I get it.
You might want to chime in on this thread....

https://www.civicx.com/threads/prl-stage-1-install.21390/#post-448564

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If the CAI was still on the car when the adjuster got there I am absolutely shocked they are covering a penny.
So let me understand this. You hydrolocked your engine because you installed a CAI. And insurance is footing the bill for this? That's kind of unheard of, isn't it?

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I'm sure you are right, but it's not just being lucky. In the US people tend to be overinsured simply because of the competition and the aggressiveness of the insurance companies that are eager to sell more, like every business. So they gladly insure modifications, but of course not gratis. Their customers pay for it. Very small % have any mods, even less have mods affecting the risk. To see how lucky an US insured is compared to the PRC, you would need to compare the premiums they pay.
Insuring a modification is not the same thing as insuring damage from a modification.

This is either an inexperienced adjuster or a very, very gracious one. OP better count their lucky stars that any money is coming out of this one.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
well its about time a insurance company is helping someone out instead of finding all sorts of ways to not pay.

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Sure I'm lucky its covered, but I've never had a modified vehicle not covered under collision or comprehensive insurance. Modifications do not effect the coverage. I dont know about all of your insurance companies but I've never been told I can't modify a car, or if I do and something goes wrong they wont cover it. Maybe its unheard of, but I've never heard of anyone having an issue. Although I dont know anyone who drowned their cars.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
It does depend on the company and strict policy wording. I'd be interested to see what they code this under if they fully cover it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Modifications do not affect the coverage. I dont know about all of your insurance companies but I've never been told I can't modify a car, or if I do and something goes wrong they wont cover it. Maybe its unheard of, but I've never heard of anyone having an issue.
So what you’re implying is that say someone adds Ktuner to their car, bumps up boost to 30psi and blows their engine. Clearly warranty is denied but insurance would foot the bill? If that's the case everyone would tune their cars worry free. :)

OP
OP

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
So what you’re implying is that say someone adds Ktuner to their car, bumps up boost to 30psi and blows their engine. Clearly warranty is denied but insurance would foot the bill? If that's the case everyone would tune their cars worry free. :)
I should have said, my policy doesnt state that aftermarket parts or damage caused by a mod will not be covered. I get your logic though. The GM told me last night that in his 11 years with Honda hes never seen a hydrolocked car. He's also never seen insurance cover a "modified car" when the mod caused the damage. So, I get it.
I ended up walking in to the dealership last night and finding the GM and having a sit down with him to talk about his dick service manager. I didnt get the car back, was told it was done, but apparently what he meant was (in words) "the car is done, minus putting the new head in". So its not done. Me and the GM went to the shop to see where things stood. It wasn't even close to being done. The head was being put in still, everything disconnected, exhaust parts laying on the ground, intake still not back in. Then I find out, if they knew I didnt have rental coverage, they would have put in one of their cars. Well, they did know, thats why I was told to go to enterprise as they give discounts to people who have cars at Lia for service. The GM then told me today that this has all be a case of he said/she said and he has to believe and back his employees first. So, customers second I guess.
Sponsored