Very low mpg, is this normal?

Sushimaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 lx
Vehicle Showcase
When i first got the car, it was 9.4 l/100kms then it went down to 8.9 l/100 then going back up again, it is at 10.7 l/100 kms which equal to 22 mpg right now. I drive in D with eco on. 80% city and 20% highway, 15 inch winter tire, LX with cvt canadian version, 270 kms and still on my first tank.

Should i be worry? Is there something wrong with the car?
Sponsored

wilsonyyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Hey there, not sure if it's any different but I have a canadian lx 6mt. I have been averaging 7-8L/100km with 50/50 hwy/city driving, my highest was 8.9L/100km and my lowest was 5.7L/100km 90% highway, I never used the econ mode as well.

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport, 98 Civic Dx (turbo/Blown), 98 Civic Ex (Blown), 87 CRX HF, 94 F150 302
It could be that your in-car estimate is wrong.

Double check the numbers when you fill the tank up again.

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport, 98 Civic Dx (turbo/Blown), 98 Civic Ex (Blown), 87 CRX HF, 94 F150 302
It will reset if i fill my tank up? Or is there a way to reset it ?
Yes, follow the above post.

Also try manually calculating your MPG when you fill up. Just put the pump in your car, hold it down and let it click off on its own, then divide the mileage you've driven on this tank by the gallons.

Rook3300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (no more)
Even if you trust the MPG readout in the car, you should still calculate the MPG on your own at every fillup. (Plus, try to just fill the tank all the way instead of just putting in $10 or something.) I've done this for years and it allows me to 1) determine how far the readout is from true calculation and 2) determine if something in the air/fuel system may be getting a bit out-of-whack before a light comes on or servicing is required. It only takes 10-20 seconds at every fillup and there are probably a dozen or so free phone apps that will handle the calculations and tracking for you.

OP
OP
Sushimaster

Sushimaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 lx
Vehicle Showcase
City for civic is garbage nowhere near advertised. Im averaging around 24 25 for city drive. .
i have to agree, drove highway today and was avg 5 l/100 kms, city tho, its bad, especially in winter and Montreal crap road condition.

staged84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring
Country flag
If this continues to spring summer im gonna let honda know.

evildoer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed MSM
City for civic is garbage nowhere near advertised. Im averaging around 24 25 for city drive. .
Wow, how long have you had your civic? How many miles? Ive had mine for a week and noticed I'm getting the same as you are getting city. I just topped her off last night so I could get a better calculation when the fuel light goes on. I wonder if it's gotta break in before you actually see positive results. (Eco off)

evildoer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed MSM
Are you guys running with Eco on or off? I saw somewhere here in the forums people are getting better mpg's with it off lol

staged84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring
Country flag
Are you guys running with Eco on or off? I saw somewhere here in the forums people are getting better mpg's with it off lol
Eco button literally makes 1 mile difference at most. My civic has around 1200 miles.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Don't do more than 1 minute to warm up, and don't race to red lights and you will get the 31 MPG city. Do normal acceleration without gunning it

Also the cold weather drops mileage big time because car doesn't run at full efficiency till warm up. You will see great improvement as spring/summer approaches
Sponsored