Very low mpg, is this normal?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
These days automotive manufacturer's pre-test all new model variants for months/virtually/on the road/ under all weather conditions. Generally, an estimated averaged combined MPG will be stated by the maker(prior to retail sale) and then verified by the E.P.A.
The City/Highway/Combined numbers have to be quoted--they are a required part of the CAFE compliance formulas and are required on the window stickers. While they use their real world data to validate the data they send to EPA, the required test cycles are not run "in the real world" but under lab conditions on dynos. (Otherwise they wouldn't be repeatable.) I don't believe EPA has the wherewithal to more than, at best, spot check the data that gets submitted. It's an honor system. As VW so ably demonstrated.
Sponsored

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
If you do a lot of short trips (less than 5 miles) you will get pretty horrid MPG. I noticed that it is extra bad during the cold start and before the engine fully warms up. Once the engine is up to operating temperature the MPG improves.
Most of the time this is the issue with smallish engine with boost coming on later. The engine has to work extra hard to get the hunk of metal moving and you ended up wasting more gas. Corvettes get great gas mileage for the exact opposite reason, tons of low end torque and engine barely works.

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
D with Eco off and I'm actually pretty close to the ratings. Just filled up this morning and was at 30.6 for mostly city driving on that last tank. Eco on has seemed to give me a few MPG less, which is weird.

OP
OP
Sushimaster

Sushimaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 lx
Vehicle Showcase
If you do a lot of short trips (less than 5 miles) you will get pretty horrid MPG. I noticed that it is extra bad during the cold start and before the engine fully warms up. Once the engine is up to operating temperature the MPG improves.
Most of the time this is the issue with smallish engine with boost coming on later. The engine has to work extra hard to get the hunk of metal moving and you ended up wasting more gas. Corvettes get great gas mileage for the exact opposite reason, tons of low end torque and engine barely works.
I do alot of under 5 miles commute, in cold weather to boost, high way tho, pretty sweet.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I do alot of under 5 miles commute, in cold weather to boost, high way tho, pretty sweet.
you should get a used Nissan Leaf for those short 5 mile runs where car doesnt even warm up. they are selling used dirt cheap with low gas prices!

OP
OP
Sushimaster

Sushimaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 lx
Vehicle Showcase
you should get a used Nissan Leaf for those short 5 mile runs where car doesnt even warm up. they are selling used dirt cheap with low gas prices!
But i already got the civic, can't downgrade to a Leaf, guess I'll just have to suck it up until summer XD.

sparks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
D with Eco off and I'm actually pretty close to the ratings. Just filled up this morning and was at 30.6 for mostly city driving on that last tank. Eco on has seemed to give me a few MPG less, which is weird.
This could be just a coincidence but it was only after 1000 miles that Eco on started to increase my MPG.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
I'm getting about 27-28 MPG in almost all city driving and I am by no means taking it easy on the accelerator. All regular Drive mode, not Sport, not Eco. I assume I could nudge over 30 in Eco mode with a lighter foot (but what's the fun in that?).

I consider that pretty good since my older Mazda 3, a considerably smaller and a bit less powerful car, gets about 21-22 in the same conditions.

idgystinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2015 BMW 328d
I'm getting about 27-28 MPG in almost all city driving and I am by no means taking it easy on the accelerator. All regular Drive mode, not Sport, not Eco. I assume I could nudge over 30 in Eco mode with a lighter foot (but what's the fun in that?).

I consider that pretty good since my older Mazda 3, a considerably smaller and a bit less powerful car, gets about 21-22 in the same conditions.
I must drive like granny--I do flog the Touring occasionally but my 25 mile commute exceeds 45 and my current tank is shown: Honda Civic 10th gen Very low mpg, is this normal? image (5)

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I got a tank of gas from a TA/BP station in the middle of nowhere. It may not have ethanol because I cant get below 46 mpg on this tank, so far over 200 miles even with some city driving.

maybe the car is broken in. I am over 2000 miles now

MichaelMUCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I'm getting like 22 MPG driving solely in the city with econ on, but that's probably due to the fact that I like to step on the gas and what not.

evildoer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed MSM
I'm getting like 22 MPG driving solely in the city with econ on, but that's probably due to the fact that I like to step on the gas and what not.
L.A. traffic explains a lot of that. Do you have a 6speed or auto?

Last edited:

evildoer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed MSM
Does this need a separate thread for manual transmission? Lol I'm getting 28-29mpg's mainly on city, with lots of traffic lights. I'm on my second tank of gas with just under 390 miles. I'm definitely trying my best to keep her under 4,000 rpm's, can't wait until I can open her up, it's not easy lol.:drive:
Edit: Eco off

arb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Late reply, but I thought I was the only one. My commute is 14 miles each way in some of the most congested roads/interstates in the city. The drive home takes upwards of 50 mins and my average MPG fluctuates between 24 and 25 mpg without econ on. I prefer to keep econ off because I notice with it on, I'm using higher AC settings and I'm having to accelerate at a higher RPM to get to speed as fast, and it brings my average MPG down to the 23's. It's a shame because I just want to see a higher average MPG :(
Sponsored