tde1205

First Name
Tulio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TypeR
Country flag
just order a CF off of alibaba.com itll be 4x cheaper & same quality with out the varis badge
Sponsored

Dyson

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 crx, 90 civic sedan, 90 civic hatch, 17 accord sport, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
So I'm starting to think about a different hood for better airflow. Even though I haven't had heat issues, I believe when I track it's more to do with the ambient temperature being nice and cold the times I've gone. So I'm realistic about it prob needing a little something at some point if I track more frequently.

So naturally Varis hood came to mind.

My question is this - there are the carbon fiber, double carbon fiber or some shit (VSCD) and then fiberglass.

Since all would need to be painted, I'm kind of leaning towards fiberglass, as it's cheapest, would be easiest to paint, and still accomplish the airflow goal and still shed a few pounds.

My question is if anyone has gone that route and the experience? And what are the downsides to the fiberglass approach? I get carbon fiber is 'thooper coo' and agree it is, but I don't care that much about the showing aspect and more interested in the airflow.

Cheers!
So if the goal is heat mitigation, the most effective, and cheapest route is to put louvers in the OEM hood. They are the single most effective thing you can do to keep the car cool on track on hot days. I used Race Louvers.

Honda Civic 10th gen Varis fiberglass hood - Finish3

Honda Civic 10th gen Varis fiberglass hood - ttt

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I used Quik Latch hood pins and followed this video for where to make the holes

TacticalToolbox

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2009 FA5
Country flag
So I'm starting to think about a different hood for better airflow. Even though I haven't had heat issues, I believe when I track it's more to do with the ambient temperature being nice and cold the times I've gone. So I'm realistic about it prob needing a little something at some point if I track more frequently.

So naturally Varis hood came to mind.

My question is this - there are the carbon fiber, double carbon fiber or some shit (VSCD) and then fiberglass.

Since all would need to be painted, I'm kind of leaning towards fiberglass, as it's cheapest, would be easiest to paint, and still accomplish the airflow goal and still shed a few pounds.

My question is if anyone has gone that route and the experience? And what are the downsides to the fiberglass approach? I get carbon fiber is 'thooper coo' and agree it is, but I don't care that much about the showing aspect and more interested in the airflow.

Cheers!
I got one of these. it's hard to beat for the price, and it's still carbon fiber.

https://www.unitedspeedracing.com/c...on-fiber-hood-for-2017-fk8-honda-civic-type-r

Honda Civic 10th gen Varis fiberglass hood - DSC09371-1-2

jcfishel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R #44709, 1993 300ZX Twin Turbo
Country flag
Dustin Williams recently installed a FRP Varis hood on his FK8 track car. Decent video for install + hood pins. Have a look.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
So if the goal is heat mitigation, the most effective, and cheapest route is to put louvers in the OEM hood. They are the single most effective thing you can do to keep the car cool on track on hot days. I used Race Louvers.

Finish3.jpg
Agree completely. The Oem hood is relatively cheap, pretty light and fits perfectly (which may not always be the case with aftermarket hoods) and there is no need for hood pins. The OEM hoods come in primer black and accept the standard windshield washer nozzles. I bought the larger Race Louver vent which means there is no need for the hood scoop and underhood air deflector. You do need to make a cover for when the car is parked but when moving around, especially at highway speeds, the engine bay stays dry, even in pouring rain, not just drizzle. I ended up getting mine wrapped in gloss black (to fit with the other trim on the car) which was way cheaper than painting.

Dyson

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agree completely. The Oem hood is relatively cheap, pretty light and fits perfectly (which may not always be the case with aftermarket hoods) and there is no need for hood pins. The OEM hoods come in primer black and accept the standard windshield washer nozzles. I bought the larger Race Louver vent which means there is no need for the hood scoop and underhood air deflector. You do need to make a cover for when the car is parked but when moving around, especially at highway speeds, the engine bay stays dry, even in pouring rain, not just drizzle. I ended up getting mine wrapped in gloss black (to fit with the other trim on the car) which was way cheaper than painting.
Just use your existing hood, no need to even buy an OEM one.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Just use your existing hood, no need to even buy an OEM one.
Originally I was concerned about the engine's rain exposure risk and wanted to be able to go back to an OEM hood. Here in the Great White North, our track season is really only 6 months long so I go back to my original OEM hood for the non track months. It is actually very light and easy to change as long as you have a helper. Biggest hint is to not over torque the 4 mounting bolts and get a couple of extras to have on hand in case you do. The Race Louver hood stays on for the summer.

Dyson

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Originally I was concerned about the engine's rain exposure risk and wanted to be able to go back to an OEM hood. Here in the Great White North, our track season is really only 6 months long so I go back to my original OEM hood for the non track months. It is actually very light and easy to change as long as you have a helper. Biggest hint is to not over torque the 4 mounting bolts and get a couple of extras to have on hand in case you do. The Race Louver hood stays on for the summer.
Agreed, I had the same thoughts and was on the verge of buying an OEM hood. I too am in the great white north (NH) but my CTR has become almost a dedicated race car, and never see's winter. Hood change is very easy with 2 people.

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
I believe Varis VSCD is their top-tier "dry carbon" ...

How it differs from their regular carbon I am not sure ...
presumably the fabrication process - maybe less resins or something, whatever makes carbon "dry' ...

acronymn: VSDC

VariS Dry Carbon ... ?
Varis something Dry Carbon ...?

I have never seen a good explanation or comparison on the Varis product pages.

if one was serious about potentially buying one of these, then I would recommend reach out to https://varisna.com or an importer/retailer like Art of Attack to provide that insight.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag

presumably the fabrication process - maybe less resins or something, whatever makes carbon "dry' ...

VariS Dry Carbon ... ?

if one was serious about potentially buying one of these, then I would recommend reach out to https://varisna.com or an importer/retailer like Art of Attack to provide that insight.
Thanks and makes sense. I don't know about spending 4k for a hood even if it was spun gold though lol.

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
ill bet money its the same place there united speed racing got theirs
Actually it's made in house. I have friends stationed still at Yokota AB who happened to visit their shop and plus it's well documented they are hand made. Second, I have a real Varis CFRP hood and compared it to numerous replica's at meets. There is a very clear difference in quality.

VariS Dry Carbon ... ?

The VSCD is a complete CF hood. This includes the body of the hood, where as the CFRP has FRP body however it is layered to a CF top. The VSCD is definitely lighter than the CFRP, it actually seemed sturdier when I was comparing it to my CFRP hood. If I'm not mistaken the fiber is layered differently to be better than your standard CF product is. It's not vacuum sealed. Its multiple layers of resin being applied and dried.

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
Thanks and makes sense. I don't know about spending 4k for a hood even if it was spun gold though lol.
You would need a Type R engine to drag a solid gold hood around... ;-)
WHO IS GOING TO BE FIRST?
FOR THE GRAM!
Sponsored