Variable Intermittent wiper

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
Update: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT WITH HONDA ACCESSORY REMOTE START

SUMMARY (roughly for people who don't want to read): Buy wiper switch part number 35256-TV0-A11. Take about a foot of 22-24 gauge wire and crimp pins on each end. One end goes into the Body Control Module's beige Connector "E" at Pin 21, which is an empty slot. The other end of the wire goes to the white Remote Start Control Unit's grey connector at Pin 8, which currently has a grey wire already in it. De-pin this wire and tape it back out of the way, insert your wire in it's place.

For people want more info- PDF attached for Honda Accessory Remote Start wiring diagram (Hatchback).
When you disconnect the wiper switch's connector, you will see that the wiring (colors) looks nothing like any of the pictures in this thread. When you have the Accessory Remote Start installed, part of the installation is putting in a new section of the dash harness. One function of the remote start is to electrically cut the wiper function. So your unattended vehicle isn't trying to wipe 2 feet of snow off and destroy itself or scrape the windshield if someone put something under your wipers. You could just do as this thread states and just remove the wire in pin 10 and run your own wire to Connector E Pin 21 of the Body Control Module, and this would most likely work as far as I know. But it might be a better idea to just remove the grey wire (Pin 8) at the Remote Start Control Unit, which is a white box very close to the Body Control Module. This grey wire at Pin 8 is stated as unused. You could pull the wire out of the harness and put a crimp connector on it and use it, but I didn't want to cut up my harness. So I simply removed it from the Remote Start Control Unit connector and installed my own wire from Pin 8 of the Remote Start Control Unit to beige Connector E Pin 21 (empty) of the Body Control Unit. This way the wiper's electrical cut functions will still exist for remote starting (it may be that pin 10 at the Remote Start Control Unit actually controls the wiper motion cut. Pin 7 may just cut the variable voltage input).

As stated previously for Hatchbacks, part number 35256-TV0-A11 was used.
2 wires were pulled from a donor connector, you might want to use about a foot of wire (or more) with the same crimp connectors on each end. The foot of wire is for the ability to disconnect those two different connectors and not have them bound tightly together by this additional wire you add. ****a better idea would be to add a bullet style connector in the middle of this wire you add so it can be disconnected in case of service needs****.

View of Wiper Switch Connector from the Accessory Remote Start wiring harness. Pin 10 (Light Blue) is already used and run down to the Remote Start Control Unit Pin 7. So there is no need to change anything up at the wiper switch connector.
Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper RemoteStart663.JPG

The over exposed white box on the upper left is the Remote Start Control Unit. The metal tab behind the connector is to prevent the harness from unlocking and coming out. You just slide the box away from the tab and you can release the connector (metal tab blocks the lock on the connector). Don't forget to slide the box back when you are done. You can see that the grey wire is now unpinned and pulled back, it was taped up to the harness when completed. You can see the additional wire now in it's place. You also can vaguely see the new wire goes back to the beige Connector E in the background on the Body Control Module.
Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper RemoteStart694.JPG

You can see Connector E (beige) on the Body Control Module Pin 21 now has a grey wire installed.
Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper RemoteStart701.JPG

If you notice how close the Remote Start Control Unit is to the Body Control Module, you could just run a short wire across and have a simple 1 pin connector (bullet style) in the middle that is easy to disconnect if any service needs done. That is probably a nicer solution than coils of wire.
Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper RemoteStart703.JPG

Low quality pics, but still could be usable to someone trying to find parts in salvage yards.
Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper RemoteStart721.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper RemoteStart726.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper RemoteStart728.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper RemoteStart735.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
I feel like this topic deserves a sticky.

I have always felt that variable intermittent wipers are a safety feature. It should be required on all cars. If it is so cheap to have, and affects the entire forward visible aspect of driving, it's kind of insane that it's not standard now. We have back up cameras because about 7 kids a day are being run over by their parents backing out of the garage. It's required by law now. And those systems cost hundreds of dollars. This costs almost nothing to the manufacturer. So they are saying, we don't want you to back up over your kids in the driveway at 5mph, but you can barrel down the highway at 70mph every day and lose forward clarity because the wipers are going way too slow and not keeping up, or way too fast and streaking like crazy making you use all of your washer fluid and now you are empty and can't see clearly. What an awesome trade off for a few dollars. Sometimes I feel like the people who make these decisions should be forced to own the products they are making the decisions for. See how much they like using the wiper button at constant regular intervals to clear the windshield when it's too slow...... for years. Yeah, like that's not a constant driver distraction.

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
A few tips for those needing connectors:

The BCM uses JAE Electronics MX34 , so if you really need this pin you can find by searching on Digi-Key, RS and other electronic component stores.

For the stalk connector pin, you can buy any Civic Steering wheel harness and any connector from the cable reel or from the steering buttons will work. In the end you will have plenty of connectors.
You can buy from other models as well, but the main connector that is guaranteed to have the correct pins are from the cable reel, this haven't changed since 2009 (Fit).

To get the connectors, use a exacto knife or similar to destroy the plastic housing and free them.
There is a locking tab but but won't be any major problem.

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper 1589286367235

Ender

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Hope all is well for everyone. It seems like we all have working switches now! :D

I'm finally getting around to finalizing the last bit of the guide I made, and cleaning up a few typos. If there's anything important I'm missing in there, let me know and I'll add it in.

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
Couple things I’ve noticed since doing this mod:
The fastest intermittent speed has no pause, so it’s basically the same as the 1st setting.
Last time I drove in the rain I had it set to that speed. I back into my driveway and garage and I live on a hill so I don’t really come to a complete stop in the road. Technically I guess I do because I change from going forward to going backwards, but it’s quick enough to not engage the brake hold. 6MT means I can shift into reverse while still moving. As soon as I went into reverse the wiper stopped and went into slow mode like when the car is stopped. Didn’t pick speed back up as I reversed into the garage. Of course it hasn’t rained while I’m driving since that day, so I can’t experiment with it to see if that’s what’s happening.
Not saying there’s any problems, just found it interesting.

OP
OP
fitter_here

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Couple things I’ve noticed since doing this mod:
The fastest intermittent speed has no pause, so it’s basically the same as the 1st setting.
Last time I drove in the rain I had it set to that speed. I back into my driveway and garage and I live on a hill so I don’t really come to a complete stop in the road. Technically I guess I do because I change from going forward to going backwards, but it’s quick enough to not engage the brake hold. 6MT means I can shift into reverse while still moving. As soon as I went into reverse the wiper stopped and went into slow mode like when the car is stopped. Didn’t pick speed back up as I reversed into the garage. Of course it hasn’t rained while I’m driving since that day, so I can’t experiment with it to see if that’s what’s happening.
Not saying there’s any problems, just found it interesting.
It is normal, look this thread item number 47 (Owner user guide)

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
Yes, usually theses stalks doesn't change too much. I used the same.
In my case I used one stalk from the Civic FB, since my car does not have the Auto/Rain Sensor and works fine.

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2.0L NA 6MT
Country flag
Just to confirm, should this be compatible with the LX sedan?
Screenshot_20200720_221846.jpg
Screenshot_20200720_221832.jpg
I still haven't gotten around to installing mine.... Let me know how your install goes. I got the switch and the terminals already, just need to pick up some wire. Good luck and hope to hear how it goes!

dgordon7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - 6MT
Country flag
I just had a chance to complete this update today and have to say a very heartfelt thanks to fitter, lodac and ender and EVERYONE who contributed to this thread. Brilliant and the instructions were right on the money. The plug and connector up under the dash needs a surgeons hands to complete. Awkward as heck. But doable. The advice on releasing the clips on the connectors is spot on. I honestly can't see how you can get the pins in fully and seated otherwise. Brilliant work to everyone who blazed the path and a heartfelt thanks from me. :)

Cheers!

Dave

tymsg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
I've read this excellent thread a couple of times and still have questions.
I've ordered the correct wiper stalk for my car and will make a trip to the junkyard
to get the correct wire connectors when I'm able.

The post recommends getting connectors from a Civic door harness because
they will fit and presumably are easiest to get to. What year is an appropriate
donor Civic (eg, does it have to be a 2016+) ? My local junkyard has many
2012s, but for a 2016+ I'd have to travel some more...

It appears people are somehow able to separate the connectors from
the existing wire, and then reattach them to the new wire that will be
run from the BCM to the new wiper stalk. I have no idea how to do that.
I was thinking of buying a pigtail from a door harness at the junkyard,
and carefully cutting/grinding out 2 of the connectors with a few inches
of wire attached. I could then solder in a jumper wire between the 2
connectors/short wires I got from the donor pigtail. Is that a viable
alternative approach?

Finally, the write-up says you don't need to remove the BCM. But
it also says the wires come out in the rear of the BCM. If you don't
remove the BCM, how can you get to the wires?

If I were younger and healthier/physically able, I'd just run out and take a look at it
and not be asking that last question. But I won't be able to do that for a
few more weeks. I'm not being lazy, honest.

Thanks to all who figured this fix out and posted your findings.

wwmisc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback 6M
Country flag
@tymsg If you can get your hands on a length of wire (From a donor harness) with the appropriate connector terminals already on both ends, that'd be ideal. If not, your soldering idea should work. Or you can try to carefully uncrimp the terminals and crimp them onto a new length of wire, but uncrimping may weaken them. Since my soldering skills are horrible, I took the route of fashioning my own wire+terminals. I believe these should work (They can be found on Mouser or Digikey).

Take a look at my post #97 in response to the BCM question. This beige connector is what you need to disconnect from the back of the BCM in order to insert one end of the new length of wire. If you reach behind the BCM and depress the connector tab, you'll be able to pull out the connector.

LakeHarvester

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
Thank you to everyone who contributed to this post. Especially those who included the pictures and wiring diagrams as well as those who initially failed and kept working at it. I am new to the forum as I just bought a 2019 Civic LX this week and spent 6 hours in the rain driving it last night. What a miserable experience. After reading this entire thread I ordered a 35256-TV0-S61 off eBay and some pins from Digikey. I am fully confident from the trials and errors of your previous work that I will be relieved of this lack of functionality very soon. I was thrilled to read that I did not have to live with this! Thanks again.

92civic20

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I've read through this thread and I'm still not 100% sure if it'll work on a 2020 Civic Sport Sedan, auto transmission. Apologies if this was mentioned/confirmed and I missed it.
Sponsored