Variable Intermittent wiper

compcrasher86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2001 BMW 330i 5spd, 1997 Mazda Miata 5spd
Country flag
I’m genuinely excited to hear you guys got this working. Now to figure out where I went wrong. Might be because I have a touring switch for auto wipers. Anybody mind measuring the resistance on that pin at the high and low ranges of the adjustment? Only people who have it out of the car, if yours works don’t go messing with it ;)

OP
OP
fitter_here

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I’m genuinely excited to hear you guys got this working. Now to figure out where I went wrong. Might be because I have a touring switch for auto wipers. Anybody mind measuring the resistance on that pin at the high and low ranges of the adjustment? Only people who have it out of the car, if yours works don’t go messing with it ;)
Look in this thread item: 21, 47, 72.
You can order this switch from ROCKAUTO for about $20.CDN. P/N: 35256-TV0-S61

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, 2016 Civic Touring Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With the Touring, you may want to check out this thread...https://www.civicx.com/threads/i-think-i’ve-found-a-way-to-disable-rain-sensing-wipers.17372/
You can disable the auto feature and it reverts to variable intermittent. Also, I had the wiper pad/sensing unit replaced (under warranty) and the auto wiper feature has been working much better. Not 100%, but pretty close.

compcrasher86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Look in this thread item: 21, 47, 72.
You can order this switch from ROCKAUTO for about $20.CDN. P/N: 35256-TV0-S61
Thanks, yeah mines a hatchback so slightly different part number. Got that figured out though.

With the Touring, you may want to check out this thread...https://www.civicx.com/threads/i-think-i’ve-found-a-way-to-disable-rain-sensing-wipers.17372/
You can disable the auto feature and it reverts to variable intermittent. Also, I had the wiper pad/sensing unit replaced (under warranty) and the auto wiper feature has been working much better. Not 100%, but pretty close.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I have a sport and I bought the wiper stalk from the touring model to attempt this mod.

compcrasher86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got mine off a 2012 CR-V
Thanks I just snagged one off eBay from a 2013 EX CRV. $22 after an eBay coupon. Looks like they have the same issue we do where base models don’t have the variable delay adjustment.

wwmisc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback 6M
Country flag
Thanks I just snagged one off eBay from a 2013 EX CRV. $22 after an eBay coupon. Looks like they have the same issue we do where base models don’t have the variable delay adjustment.
I also have a hatchback, and I got my switch (35256-TV0-A11) off of a Type-R. I was careful to get a non-sensing switch because I wasn't sure if it would cause complications on my barebones LX.

It's been said before, but I highly encourage that extra attention be paid to the connectors. My first attempt failed and left me thinking that the mod doesn't work. Good thing I was unsure of my connectors and tried a second time with more robust ones, which worked.

LODAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Civic LX
Country flag
The pins I got are 100% same as the ones that are there. They fit in the plug connectors without any mods to the pins or the plug.
You just have to be careful when putting them in. You gotta make sure they’re in all the way.

compcrasher86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The pins I got are 100% same as the ones that are there. They fit in the plug connectors without any mods to the pins or the plug.
You just have to be careful when putting them in. You gotta make sure they’re in all the way.
How do you get the pins out of the connector safely? Is there a tab or something you need to lift up on?

LODAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Civic LX
Country flag
How do you get the pins out of the connector safely? Is there a tab or something you need to lift up on?
You do not need to pull any pins out, you only need to put 2 pins in. One on the BCM and another on your wiper switch plug

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2.0L NA 6MT
Country flag
I ordered a stalk for my 2017 LX to add variable intermittent wipers and it arrived this week. I want to get around to installing it but I'm having trouble finding the right crimp terminal connectors. I'm in Canada, can anyone tell me if I could find the right ones at Canadian Tire or Napa for example and what exactly they're called or what I should be looking for?

OP
OP
fitter_here

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I ordered a stalk for my 2017 LX to add variable intermittent wipers and it arrived this week. I want to get around to installing it but I'm having trouble finding the right crimp terminal connectors. I'm in Canada, can anyone tell me if I could find the right ones at Canadian Tire or Napa for example and what exactly they're called or what I should be looking for?
You won't find the connectors at Canadian Tire, go to a scrap yard.
I've done mine with connectors I modified (this thread item 66) but if you find the connectors (this thread item 69) they fit perfectly.
I'm very happy of my mod. I ordered the wiper switch from Rockauto for a EX 2015, works great.
Good luck in your project.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
You won't find the connectors at Canadian Tire, go to a scrap yard.
I've done mine with connectors I modified (this thread item 66) but if you find the connectors (this thread item 69) they fit perfectly.
I'm very happy of my mod. I ordered the wiper switch from Rockauto for a EX 2015, works great.
Good luck in your project.
If you can't locate any in a scrap yard, you can get a door harness from a Touring level Civic and pull pins out of one of the connectors in there...that's what I did for my EDM rear fog light install.

Ender

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
UPDATE: I've completed my install. Check page 10 of this thread for the updated how-to guide.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/variable-intermittent-wiper.3233/page-10#post-768210

Hello all! I've been following this thread on and off for a couple years, waiting for the solution to finally present itself. Now that there appears to be one, I really want to try it. I have a 2016 LX sedan w/ CVT. I've read through the thread and I think I understand what has to be done. I really hope this summary will also be helpful to others.

Steps for Installing Intermittent Wipers in 2016+ LX Civic

Parts Required:
  • Variable speed wiper stalk. If buying a new one, here are some part numbers that we've found to work:
    SEDAN: 35256-TV0-S61
    HATCHBACK: 35256-TV0-A11; 35256-T6A-C01
  • 22 or 24 AWG Wires
  • Wire pin connectors (ideally taken from a door harness from another Civic, to ensure they fit well. Good connectors can really make or break this install!)
INSTALLATION:
  1. Locate the BCM behind the car's fuse box in the driver's side door area. It's pretty hard to get to, but you won't have to take it out to get to the wire. The location is explained by @wwmisc here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/variable-intermittent-wiper.3233/page-4#post-587384

2. Connect a wire (with a pin connector) to pin E21 on the BCM. The diagrams needed to locate E21 are explained by @ck42 here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/variable-intermittent-wiper.3233/page-3#post-418313

3. Run the wire up to the steering wheel. Remove the old switch and locate the connector where the pins will go in.

4. Connect the other end of the wire to the wiper switch connector. The wire needs to run to pin 10 on the new wiper switch. Pin 10 on the switch is the leftmost one on the bottom row in this picture from @compcrasher86: https://www.civicx.com/threads/variable-intermittent-wiper.3233/page-2#post-153194
    Note: the connector is the mirror image of the pins. When looking at the face of the connector unplugged, it's the rightmost opening next to the brown wire in this picture from @fitter_here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/variable-intermittent-wiper.3233/page-5#post-594790
    Pin 10 on the connector is unwired.

5. Put it all back together and hope for the best! Unless you mess with any existing connections, the worst thing that can happen is that the mod won't work and your wipers will work the same as they did before. (Make sure to test it out while you're moving, because the speed sensors will keep them slow if you're stationary.)
There isn't really anything dangerous you can do if you stick to these steps, but always make sure to be careful when you modify your car. It's your responsibility to do the right research beforehand, and none of us here on the forum are responsible if anything goes wrong.

Huge thank you to everyone in this thread that worked so hard to get this working! You guys are awesome.
Sponsored

Last edited: