Variable Intermittent wiper

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Anybody replaced their wiper switch on 16 LX for a variable intermittent wiper switch, I wonder if I replace just the switch if it's a plug and play or I have to plug a new wire from the switch to the ICU (Fuse Box)
Sponsored

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
I don't know the answer, but the missing variable intermittent wiper control was one of the reasons I decided to step up to the EX!

Good luck adding the variable intermittent wiper control. Hopefully it won't be too hard!

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
Anybody replaced their wiper switch on 16 LX for a variable intermittent wiper switch, I wonder if I replace just the switch if it's a plug and play or I have to plug a new wire from the switch to the ICU (Fuse Box)
The 9th generation (last) Civic had this issue. The LX did not have variable wipers. The guys over at the 9th Gen Civic forum figured out how to retrofit the EX variable wiper stalk to the LX cars. I did it on the LX we used to have. You had to remove the steering wheel and trim to get at the multi function switch if I recall, then run one small wire from the switch down to the ECU or control box brain under the dash by the driver's side left foot. It was pain to access the back of the control box to get to the plug you needed to add the wire to, but it was doable with some patience.

I would guess that something similar would be possible with this new gen of Civic. The key is figuring out which plug the wiring from the wiper stalk goes to, and which wire is missing on the LX.

Basically it will be something like run a wire from the stalk down the column to plug "x" behind the fuse or control box, into pin slot "y". That's it. Just need to figure out which wire colors. An enterprising individual could probably access the plug for the wiper stalk, see what wires come off the stalk and match them on the back of the control box. Would involve some sleuthing but not impossible by any means.

Sorry not more help, but thought I'd relay how it worked on the last gen car. Probably similar here.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
You guys should buy the stalks off the Acura models just because they have the brushed aluminum look. If you're going to do an intermittent wiper upgrade that you don't know works, then give this a shot as well?

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
Bumping this thread to see if any progress had been made on variable intermittents on LX models. The 9th gen guys cracked it, but they might be smarter or more motivated than us. lol

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Bumping this thread to see if any progress had been made on variable intermittents on LX models. The 9th gen guys cracked it, but they might be smarter or more motivated than us. lol
Does any owner of EX 2016 have the electrical diagram of their wiper switch connector?
here is a diagram of my LX

Connector-Wiper switch copy.jpg
Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper upload_2016-12-30_21-44-5

compcrasher86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2001 BMW 330i 5spd, 1997 Mazda Miata 5spd
Country flag
I tried my new switch, all works except for the "variable", I'm not in a hurry, I'll wait to find the electrical diagram.
Did you find the steering wheel had to be removed in order to install the switch?

compcrasher86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No, it's very easy to replace the switch.
I'm waiting to find where to plug it on the fuse box
Thanks. From that diagram above, looks like it needs to go to pin E21 on the BCM. But it sounds like you're asking: which connector is E? I help test transit wiring harnesses at work so I am fairly comfortable with this. It looks like we should see a purple wire in the number 1 pin for the E-connector, which should help identify it. Can anybody clarify where the BCM is located? Waiting for delivery of my '17 Hatch in March so this will be one of the first things I look into when I get it. Will update and take pictures.

OP
OP
fitter_here

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Thanks. From that diagram above, looks like it needs to go to pin E21 on the BCM. But it sounds like you're asking: which connector is E? I help test transit wiring harnesses at work so I am fairly comfortable with this. It looks like we should see a purple wire in the number 1 pin for the E-connector, which should help identify it. Can anybody clarify where the BCM is located? Waiting for delivery of my '17 Hatch in March so this will be one of the first things I look into when I get it. Will update and take pictures.
Yes, I need to know the place for pin E21 (Gray) on the BCM. On the switch itself it should be connected right besides the brown wire.

BarryG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6 spd man sedan
Country flag
I am very interested in seeing the pictures and update also. Thanks.

compcrasher86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My new wiper stalk came in. I ordered one from a touring hatch, not really thinking about the difference between auto and intermittent wipers. From what I can tell they're electrically the same so I'll just deal with the mislabel if this works. Will update you guys once it's installed and wired to e21

Honda Civic 10th gen Variable Intermittent wiper IMG_5628.JPG
Sponsored