Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
@Smoothie

According to Derek Robinson aka D-Rob, it's virtually impossible to dyno a CVT unless it has the paddle shifters. If it does, here's how he does it:

As far as you saying your car seems less snappy off the line but builds power nicely after that, that's honestly the best setup for the CVT.
Sponsored

curlichfc1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I mean we probably sound like broken records but the turboā€™s vargas have created for our platform are well built, responsive, and hold power thru redline, I have another friend Matt who just got a gc+ and intends to make a post in here when heā€™s done tuning but that thing even now is pulling hard and sounds freaking good, loving that people are seeing how great this turbo is.
Attaching a sound clip of Mattā€™s gc+ then 2nd will be my gc same intake setup.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure Matt also adds his car to my tuning thread if you can. I know posts in this Vargas thread are important but I'd like to think my tuning thread is valuable to the communuty as well.

curlichfc1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Trust me Iā€™ll make sure his first post in the reliability thread before he makes his way in here with his personal experience with the turbo, appreciate what you do by your personal time to put all the data together.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate that, thanks. I enjoy helping the community. I just wish more tuned owners would take the time.

Smoothie

First Name
Asyraf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FC1
Country flag
@Smoothie

According to Derek Robinson aka D-Rob, it's virtually impossible to dyno a CVT unless it has the paddle shifters. If it does, here's how he does it:

As far as you saying your car seems less snappy off the line but builds power nicely after that, that's honestly the best setup for the CVT.

Yeap, mine does come with paddles, it was done in the manual S mode. Mistake we did was not loading the cvt up for a bit at 3krpm

Neosky

First Name
Almer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Sound clip for GC+

TheDeliSauce

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Make sure Matt also adds his car to my tuning thread if you can. I know posts in this Vargas thread are important but I'd like to think my tuning thread is valuable to the communuty as well.
I'm still working out the issues with my SI (Head is having issues from previous oil starvation events shortly after 2nd built rebuild). Once I get a new L15B7 head on & working I'll have a monster update for the thread. It's been one hell of a journey so far.

OP
OP
Sport-injected

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
How did you add this long of a video? I tried it never works.
You should be able to upload directly from your phone, you can try to reduce the video quality if too large.

Neosky

First Name
Almer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
How did you add this long of a video? I tried it never works.
I sent it to my group chat in messenger. Then from pc, I downloaded it from that group chat as an mp4 file. Then uploaded that file in here. And yeah, I feel ya. Phone recordings are large nowadays šŸ˜‚

Smoothie

First Name
Asyraf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FC1
Country flag
Hey guys, im thinking of doing a drop in Skunk2 Cams, stg1. Hoping to get the turbo to kick in a lil bit earlier
Any comments?

Redwing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si coupe
Country flag
Hey guys, im thinking of doing a drop in Skunk2 Cams, stg1. Hoping to get the turbo to kick in a lil bit earlier
Any comments?
I would say go for it. Keep in mind Kelford also has their EZ cams which are comparable. Unfortunately, if you have a CVT, the main gain from "stage 1" cams is in the midrange where the torque is the highest. If you don't tune out the massive torque spike from the turbo, then it could very easily damage the CVT. Same is true for any major engine modification really.

As for turbo responsiveness and spool speed, I would not expect a massive difference. There probably will be some increase in spool rate (faster spool), but I would not expect it to be a huge factor. Maybe 200-300 RPM of a difference but the only way to know for sure is to test it.

For people that have experience running skunk 2 cams check out:
Precord96's FK7 - 2020 EX Build (Is a CVT and uses Skunk2 Ultra stage 1 cams)
optimoprime's - Civic Si Build (Uses Skunk2 Ultra stage 2 cams)
Sponsored