askro

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CR-V & 2017 Type R-00606
Country flag
Hey guys, so I broke loose in 2nd on black ice on a uphill climb and somehow seemed to have skipped timing. Has this happened to anyone else? I did have traction control disabled. So I really hope I can get this under warranty. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Attachments

Meat Hammer

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP Civic Type R #1464
Country flag
Hey guys, so I broke loose in 2nd on black ice on a uphill climb and somehow seemed to have skipped timing. Has this happened to anyone else? I did have traction control disabled. So I really hope I can get this under warranty. Thoughts?
Any MIL/CEL codes? I had nearly identical circumstances which lead to limp mode and code p0335 for crank position sensor. The dealership replaced CKP sensor, which didn’t fix it and said it could be caused by my Hondata tune. I reflashed tune and saw that sensor is still getting 0 volts. I haven’t found the fix yet, hope your luck is better than mine at the dealership and your engine isn’t toast!

OP
OP
askro

askro

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any MIL/CEL codes? I had nearly identical circumstances which lead to limp mode and code p0335 for crank position sensor. The dealership replaced CKP sensor, which didn’t fix it and said it could be caused by my Hondata tune. I reflashed tune and saw that sensor is still getting 0 volts. I haven’t found the fix yet, hope your luck is better than mine at the dealership and your engine isn’t toast!
No, no codes at all. I drove it about 25 miles home afterwards and the car ran perfectly fine as if nothing is wrong. But the tick is significant and can be heard even in neutral while rolling from the cabin... I’m concerned but not super concerned as my dealership is very respectful and diligent with my vehicles.... but I’ll keep all updates rolling as soon as I hear what they find after I drop it off tommorow morning. I even risked doing a WOT pull in 3rd on the interstate and it pulled like a champ with no issues.

I’m also on the factory tune since I sold my KTuner so I am concerned. I am R-00606 with 17k miles... so it could be a early production problem?

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Wouldnt your car be running way worse in all points of the RPM range if it skipped enough to cause a tick?

Honestly don't hear anything amiss in the video other than a fast idle at cold.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Its very difficult to skip timing with a chain without catastrophic failure of a guide or tensioner.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
To assuage your fears, here is the sound of mine on a cold start.

The ticking is normal.

OP
OP
askro

askro

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The tick isn’t normal! I know my vehicle and someone has had a similar issue. The tick is SIGNIFICANT. It’s no GDI tick. Hope to have updates soon. Yes it is definitely not timing chain but it is 100% in the valve train.

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
DI injection motors are just loud (injector wise). Sounds normal to me but could just be the recording (and my ears though lol). GL OP keep us posted. Either way dont guess - take it in to the dealer and get it looked at/listened to there.

ShaRm3064

First Name
Sharmilan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CIvic Type R #3064 Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just wondering how sudden rise in rpm from ice can cause this(Mileage?)....If a simple incident like this causes a skipped tooth on the chain the engine was already faulty. was the engine up to temp?

check your oil. Even when the car is a quart low on oil the engine sounds different.

OP
OP
askro

askro

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: Work has been crazy and I haven't gotten the opportunity to get the car to the dealership. I changed the oil (Mobil 1 0W-20) and used lucas stabilizer at my job today, It seems the ticking dissapears when the car gets any type of throttle. The tick will dissapear and return once the rpms stabilize. My master mechanic at my job believes it just needs a valve adjustment and that I was beating on it too hard in negative degree temps using a natural gas oil (pennzoil ultra platinum) we drained the oil and it was almost thicker then lucas itself lol. I drove the car home tonight and it drove perfectly fine with absolutely zero issues..... The tick is still there though. I will be taking the car to the dealership on my day off and hopefully they can give us a real answer.

I haven't neglected the car in any sense of care or maintenance, just alot of spirited driving as for I figured the car can handle the beating for it is a out of factory track car... It is garage kept and never sits out in the freezing cold at night... only sits outside if I drive it to work or take it out to the store or gas station.

EDIT: Mileage is 17,250~ and I did buy the car 4 months ago "pre-owned certified". with 11,300 miles.
I did change the oil at 14,000 miles and now today 17,250. I have been beating on the car on the KTuner 1.1 basemap. I believe the low-end torque has created some sort of valve issue. I flashed back to the factory tune and I cannot see boost higher then 17psi, quite depressing... Also before everyone says "yikes thats alot of miles put on in a short time"..... I have a 2019 Si with almost 60,000 miles and I bought it brand new in July 2019 with 5 miles off the lot LOL! I didn't buy the car so it can sit in the garage and collect dust ;P

Last edited:
OP
OP
askro

askro

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also potentially thinking it could be a purge valve tick??? Still not going to just assume and take it to the dealer on Thursday but this could be a possibility?

I’m really concerned on taking the car to the dealership. They already did me a huge favor replacing my trans and clutch in my Si for free after breaking 4th... the car was nearly FBO and tuned and they still fixed it for free under warranty. So I’m hoping they’re not going to give me the evil eye for coming in with more warranty work on their higher end vehicles.

Jrn450

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Not caused by the tune the disc where the intake can shaft position sensor reads moves out of place while you bounced of the rev limiter or money shifted the car as long as there is no over rev code intake camshaft should be replaced under warranty my buddy had it happen to his 2018

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
No, no codes at all. I drove it about 25 miles home afterwards and the car ran perfectly fine as if nothing is wrong. But the tick is significant and can be heard even in neutral while rolling from the cabin... I’m concerned but not super concerned as my dealership is very respectful and diligent with my vehicles.... but I’ll keep all updates rolling as soon as I hear what they find after I drop it off tommorow morning. I even risked doing a WOT pull in 3rd on the interstate and it pulled like a champ with no issues.

I’m also on the factory tune since I sold my KTuner so I am concerned. I am R-00606 with 17k miles... so it could be a early production problem?
The tick isn’t normal! I know my vehicle and someone has had a similar issue. The tick is SIGNIFICANT. It’s no GDI tick. Hope to have updates soon. Yes it is definitely not timing chain but it is 100% in the valve train.
Update: Work has been crazy and I haven't gotten the opportunity to get the car to the dealership. I changed the oil (Mobil 1 0W-20) and used lucas stabilizer at my job today, It seems the ticking dissapears when the car gets any type of throttle. The tick will dissapear and return once the rpms stabilize. My master mechanic at my job believes it just needs a valve adjustment and that I was beating on it too hard in negative degree temps using a natural gas oil (pennzoil ultra platinum) we drained the oil and it was almost thicker then lucas itself lol. I drove the car home tonight and it drove perfectly fine with absolutely zero issues..... The tick is still there though. I will be taking the car to the dealership on my day off and hopefully they can give us a real answer.

I haven't neglected the car in any sense of care or maintenance, just alot of spirited driving as for I figured the car can handle the beating for it is a out of factory track car... It is garage kept and never sits out in the freezing cold at night... only sits outside if I drive it to work or take it out to the store or gas station.

EDIT: Mileage is 17,250~ and I did buy the car 4 months ago "pre-owned certified". with 11,300 miles.
I did change the oil at 14,000 miles and now today 17,250. I have been beating on the car on the KTuner 1.1 basemap. I believe the low-end torque has created some sort of valve issue. I flashed back to the factory tune and I cannot see boost higher then 17psi, quite depressing... Also before everyone says "yikes thats alot of miles put on in a short time"..... I have a 2019 Si with almost 60,000 miles and I bought it brand new in July 2019 with 5 miles off the lot LOL! I didn't buy the car so it can sit in the garage and collect dust ;P
Also potentially thinking it could be a purge valve tick??? Still not going to just assume and take it to the dealer on Thursday but this could be a possibility?

I’m really concerned on taking the car to the dealership. They already did me a huge favor replacing my trans and clutch in my Si for free after breaking 4th... the car was nearly FBO and tuned and they still fixed it for free under warranty. So I’m hoping they’re not going to give me the evil eye for coming in with more warranty work on their higher end vehicles.
Quoted for posterity.

Apparently you never made it into the dealer?
Sponsored