Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I just noticed a small pool of oil in the same spot on my 2019, not as much as some of these pictures, but still oil. I flushed my transmission fluid yesterday and my metal pan was covered in oil, I looked up at my filter and saw oil dripping from it so I thought it was just a bad seal on the filter and i will replace it next weekend.

After I changed my trans fluid, I installed a PRL intake. After doing research about potential causes for a leak, I decide to check my valve cover and see a bit of oil.

Is Honda going to give me grief for my intake? It is unrelated because the leak existed before I installed the intake.

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R 9D38BF08-9E00-4B8C-A51F-3A66074FDEA2
Sponsored

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I got back from the Honda dealership this weekend and they need to replace the valve gasket. I mentioned there seems to be numerous reports of this issue on the internet and the service guy stated "first I've heard of it".

Well - an hour later the tech diagnosis leaking valve gasket and states it's the "third one he's replaced already". Highly recommend everyone to look. Seems to be a problem.

I received no issues on the PRL stage 1 intake on my car.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I got back from the Honda dealership this weekend and they need to replace the valve gasket. I mentioned there seems to be numerous reports of this issue on the internet and the service guy stated "first I've heard of it".

Well - an hour later the tech diagnosis leaking valve gasket and states it's the "third one he's replaced already". Highly recommend everyone to look. Seems to be a problem.

I received no issues on the PRL stage 1 intake on my car.
I hate the idea of taking my car to the dealer

Just surfed the Service manual and found the torque spec, 5.2 lb-ft lol. I saw a few people asking on this thread

It also illustrates the proper pattern for tightening the bolts. I assume it would be a bad idea to just tighten these down. I do not have a torque wrench designed for such a low setting

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R 1591583773642

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I may just print out the page regarding the valve cover in the service manual for the tech guy. haha

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just curious, for someone who's relatively clueless about where stuff is in the engine bay, where would one go to look for this issue?

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just curious, for someone who's relatively clueless about where stuff is in the engine bay, where would one go to look for this issue?
It's easier to see this area leaning from the passenger fender. Look behind the red engine cover, then down.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
the silver metal that is clean in these images would have oil on it

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R E101B1F5-C009-4E1B-BC9F-DB6D5D81C2E8

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R 28A2CEBA-9386-44F3-9BC4-632A5DE47873

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the pics! One day I'll learn about this stuff on my own... I'll be checking mine probably some point later today to see if I have the issue.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Thanks for the pics! One day I'll learn about this stuff on my own... I'll be checking mine probably some point later today to see if I have the issue.
with how much this seems to be happening, everybody should check. It takes two seconds to see if you have oil in that spot. Just have to pop the hood

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
with how much this seems to be happening, everybody should check. It takes two seconds to see if you have oil in that spot. Just have to pop the hood
I agree, it certainly seems like this is something that is fairly common.

What are the negative consequences of not getting something like this fixed? My friend doesn't seem to think it's much of a concern even if the gasket cover is leaking.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I agree, it certainly seems like this is something that is fairly common.

What are the negative consequences of not getting something like this fixed? My friend doesn't seem to think it's much of a concern even if the gasket cover is leaking.
an oil leak is mostly catastrophic when it results in a large amount of oil loss. Most people are reporting only a small amount of oil leaking so it’s not “catastrophic” but it still isn’t normal and should not happen.

since this would be covered under warranty, it is better to have it fixed for free than to wait too long

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hmmmm. Whenever I changed my hot side charge pipe, I noticed some gunk and buildup on my rear motor mount and was confused where it had come from. Idk if it's just residual from any oil that leaked out during a change or what. It cleaned it off when I saw it last like that and the next time I changed my oil the motor mount wasn't anywhere near as bad

Last time I really took a close look at the intake manifold was when I upgraded my charge pipe, plus when i was checking out how the fuel pump is routed.

I'll have to check when I get home as I haven't been driving it to work lately.

I really don't want to take this into a stealership and have them work on it.

Last edited:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Hey guys. I changed my oil a couple of days ago and noticed oil on the bottom of the engine and other components. I followed the oil leak and found the valve cover gasket to be leaking. There was oil on top of the engine block on the firewall side, right underneath the valve cover. I cleaned the oil up, and not even 100 miles later and there is more oil in the same place. I saw a post about this happening to the new gen Si, but has anyone else had this issue on the Type R? (Sorry I don't have any photos). Thanks in advance!
What kind of oil are you using on your car? The reason I ask is because I’ve seen many vehicles start leaking oil shortly after changing the type of oil they put in their car. For example my buddy bought a camaro Z28 and he called me freaking out because his car was leaking everywhere. I asked if he recently changed his oil and if so, did he change to a different type. He said yes, so I told him to drain that oil and use the type he was using before. Right after he did the oil stopped leaking. Oil is also keeping your seals in good condition. So if you have recently changed the type of oil you use, then change your oil back to the type you were using before. This has even happened to me once in my Isuzu rodeo.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I use API certified 0W-20. I do not think this is the issue
Sponsored