First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Did you recently change your oil type?
no, I have always used API certified 0W-20 because that is the type of the oil that is supposed to be used

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
no, I have always used API certified 0W-20 because that is the type of the oil that is supposed to be used
Well besides being API certified, because most oil that sits on the shelf is, did you change the brand or type?

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The only reason I ask is because not all oil is the same. Oil nowadays is like drugs. They all got different additives so you never know what you’re gonna get. The seals and gaskets on these cars rely on the oil to keep them from going bad. I’m sure Honda didn’t go cheap on gasket material or forgot to torque down the valve cover properly. The gasket had to have been damaged by the oil. I know I stick to Honda oil and filters on both my civics and one is the 2.0 and the other 1.5t and they are still oil leak free. The engines still look new and dry. So what I’m saying is maybe the oil you are using is not good for that engine and might think about a different oil. I use these in both of mine.
Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R 367D3408-7C13-436C-BC3F-54CA3F4EDC90

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 full synthetic (rated for 15k miles but I change every 5-6k)
Before you tear into your brand new engine to change gaskets. I would recommend trying Honda oil and seeing if the leaks stop. You have nothing to lose.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Before you tear into your brand new engine to change gaskets. I would recommend trying Honda oil and seeing if the leaks stop. You have nothing to lose.
Everybody and their mothers, fathers, cousins twice removed have been pouring Mobil 1 oil into Honda engines for a long time.

Can people who had their valve covers/gaskets assessed at dealers please chime in as to what type of oil you were using?

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Everybody and their mothers, fathers, cousins twice removed have been pouring Mobil 1 oil into Honda engines for a long time.

Can people who had their valve covers/gaskets assessed at dealers please chime in as to what type of oil you were using?
Leaked noticed at 8000 miles. Did first oil change at roughly 6500 miles when MM went off. Used HONDA full synthetic oil.

Faulty gasket has nothing to do with oil type.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag

I understand where you are coming from, and I agree there is nothing to lose, but it seems weird to me that this engine would behave this way based on Mobil 1 oil.

The average person who takes their car to a garage or somewhere to get an oil change is not going to be getting Honda OEM oil. Honda would have a hard time backing up this issue by saying “you have to use Honda OEM oil”

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well it’s worth a shot anyways. I would try that before tearing into a new engine. But hey it’s whatever you want to do because it’s your engine. I mean it’s under warranty so the easy answer is just have Honda fix it. But it’s just hard to believe Honda having faulty seals that can’t last at least 100k miles before starting to leak. Unless Honda quality isn’t Honda quality anymore:confused:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I understand where you are coming from, and I agree there is nothing to lose, but it seems weird to me that this engine would behave this way based on Mobil 1 oil.

The average person who takes their car to a garage or somewhere to get an oil change is not going to be getting Honda OEM oil. Honda would have a hard time backing up this issue by saying “you have to use Honda OEM oil”
Yeah I was just using Honda oil as an example you could try any other oil like Castrol or Pennzoil.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Well it’s worth a shot anyways. I would try that before tearing into a new engine. But hey it’s whatever you want to do because it’s your engine. I mean it’s under warranty so the easy answer is just have Honda fix it. But it’s just hard to believe Honda having faulty seals that can’t last at least 100k miles before starting to leak. Unless Honda quality isn’t Honda quality anymore:confused:
side note, where do you get the A01 filters? Or did you stock up a few years back before they were discontinued?

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
side note, where do you get the A01 filters? Or did you stock up a few years back before they were discontinued?
I was only able to order 4 and then I couldn’t find anymore. But I buy the Hamp filters now. Filtech made the A01’s and they changed their name to Hamp. So now I order the Hamp H1540-RTA-515 filters. They are the same exact filter made by the same company.
Sponsored