Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
My vavle cover was split in the rear. I track and the engine has seen some heat though. 15K miles of abuse. Not limp mode or whatever from overheating, but temp gauge pass the middle mark quite a bit. It was dripping and spraying oil at the split down the rear and onto the wiring harness. Created a small mess but glad I caught it.

juang1985

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GOLF R MK7
Country flag
I had same issue. Retorque the bolts of the valve cover. the one by the leak seemed to be a little lose. I have not seen any oil since. about 300 miles ago. Crossing fingers. I got a 2021

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can get replaced under warranty if that doesn’t fix the issue. Had mine replaced a couple years ago.

I had same issue. Retorque the bolts of the valve cover. the one by the leak seemed to be a little lose. I have not seen any oil since. about 300 miles ago. Crossing fingers. I got a 2021

juang1985

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GOLF R MK7
Country flag
Fastener #2 highlighted in the attached pic was not torqued to spec. The area behind that fastener had the most pooled oil. The other 7 fasteners clicked on the wrench almost instantly, #2 you could tell was not at spec. It wasn't LOOSE per say, just not at spec. Attached pic is of the cylinder head cover for the K20C1 in the Type-R.

Capture.PNG

This is 100% correct in my case as well. I torque the bolts and they all were pretty tight except for number 2. and thats actually where the leak was coming from

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Very few reports of valve covers leaking from the front but I did see a few in these 15 pages...pretty sure mine was leaking above the turbo and caused this fire.

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R Acp9qRKCYlI9UJvMuyUwo2eVYw=w983-h737-no?authuser=0

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Full disclosure here: We do not get paid for noise/rattle cars if we can't find anything wrong. 90% of my test drives cannot duplicate the issue on a basic test drive, even with the customer in the car with me. While not getting paid, I can only allocate about 20 minutes of my time to a noise issue. If I can't hear the noise that "I always hear" within a 10 mile test drive under various loads and conditions, I gotta send it on it's way. Videos of the noise helps A LOT, having you in the car with me helps even more.

I've had people cuss me out on test drives over rattle concerns only to point out it was their sunglasses in the overhead bin, or a dozen golf balls in the glovebox etc. What is even worse is when we have to compare to a new car only to find out they all make the noise, "characteristic of the vehicle, vehicle is performing to manufacturer specifications at this time".
I’ve never been in a car without rattles or creaks. From economy cars, to super cars or opulent luxury cars. There is always something. Especially once you hit 5 years, it’s amazing. Sometimes the interior noise is quiet enough that any sound becomes an issue, where the same sound in an economy car is never noticeable.

Hacklespur

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Adding another to the pile, same exact issue on mine (2021). I'll be taking it to the dealership this week.

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R PXL_20220711_213545664

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Humm...Went for a oil change Saturday and the technician told me my" timing chain cover" is leaking. anyone else have this issue?

Hacklespur

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I think this has already been addressed in this thread, but as this isn't catastrophic oil loss; is there any major harm in just leaving this be (and keeping an eye on it)?
Sponsored