Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
People think I’m nuts for NOT taking it to the dealer for warranty work.
This ain’t your normal beater. It’s a Type R. If things get messed up by the dealership wrenchers (which happens a lot), you won’t sleep well at night. If it was a beater sure, take it to your dealer.
I am also surprised no one has made a youtube DIY for this fix considering it is common
Sponsored

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
People think I’m nuts for NOT taking it to the dealer for warranty work.
This ain’t your normal beater. It’s a Type R. If things get messed up by the dealership wrenchers (which happens a lot), you won’t sleep well at night. If it was a beater sure, take it to your dealer.
I am also surprised no one has made a youtube DIY for this fix considering it is common
Same, I've been wrenching on Honda's & Acura's for the better part of 25 years. Back as far as the old carb'd cvcc engines with 100 miles of vacuum lines under the hood.

If it's something BIG, I will let the dealer / service department handle it. But a $10 gasket, nah. I'd rather not have the stress of a tech putting a wrench to it. Especially now that it's more of a remove & replace vs. diagnose mindset in most repair shops / service departments. Wish the car had a "valet mode" to be honest.

Had the oil pooling, noticed it around 13k give or take on my 2019. Cleaned it, set the torque wrench ever so slightly higher at 70 inch pounds after converting the values and tightened them in the pattern listed in the service manual. Bone dry since and I check it weekly when I check other fluids & tire pressures. Car has just under 20k on it now.

If it comes back, I'll do the gasket myself.

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
Did you loosen the bolts first then redo the torque? I read it’s 5.2 ft lb. Too low to do accurately for my torque wrenches.
I hope you can do a video if you end up replacing the gasket

roro40p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 TYPE R-11883
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same issue 2018 32k miles , only looked because I saw this treat , took it to my dealer and they will replace the gasket. They’ve always done great work their when I took my Si and other cars. They had to order the parts so I have to go back in a couple if days

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R 2FF09F56-DE9D-4FFA-BFE4-A43C1A4A6999

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R E94DE261-5F90-4F2B-A1AF-7C5086E862E2

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
Did you loosen the bolts first then redo the torque? I read it’s 5.2 ft lb. Too low to do accurately for my torque wrenches.
I hope you can do a video if you end up replacing the gasket
No just clean it and torque it. Stop over at harbor freight and get an inch pound torque wrench. Worth the $20. It will "seep" after they're torqued, not a lot but I wanted it CLEAN. I used an all purpose cleaner and then I hit the area with compressed air until it was spotless. Just follow the pattern listed in the service manual.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
No just clean it and torque it. Stop over at harbor freight and get an inch pound torque wrench. Worth the $20. It will "seep" after they're torqued, not a lot but I wanted it CLEAN. I used an all purpose cleaner and then I hit the area with compressed air until it was spotless. Just follow the pattern listed in the service manual.
Did the bolts move much? 62.4 vs 70 inch lbs but I wonder if they were loose to begin with.

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
Did the bolts move much? 62.4 vs 70 inch lbs but I wonder if they were loose to begin with.
Fastener #2 highlighted in the attached pic was not torqued to spec. The area behind that fastener had the most pooled oil. The other 7 fasteners clicked on the wrench almost instantly, #2 you could tell was not at spec. It wasn't LOOSE per say, just not at spec. Attached pic is of the cylinder head cover for the K20C1 in the Type-R.

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R Capture.PNG

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
Fastener #2 highlighted in the attached pic was not torqued to spec. The area behind that fastener had the most pooled oil. The other 7 fasteners clicked on the wrench almost instantly, #2 you could tell was not at spec. It wasn't LOOSE per say, just not at spec. Attached pic is of the cylinder head cover for the K20C1 in the Type-R.

Capture.PNG
I just torque it 2 days ago, of all the bolts in the specified order according to the instructions at 62inch lb. I can also confirm that the #2 bolt wasn’t loose but was the only one that distinctly stood out as not torqued to click quickly like the other bolts. I have no oil/dirt that I can see prior to torquing the bolts. I am only sitting at about 1300miles

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Same issue 2018 32k miles , only looked because I saw this treat , took it to my dealer and they will replace the gasket. They’ve always done great work their when I took my Si and other cars. They had to order the parts so I have to go back in a couple if days

2FF09F56-DE9D-4FFA-BFE4-A43C1A4A6999.jpeg

E94DE261-5F90-4F2B-A1AF-7C5086E862E2.jpeg
Kinda necro but checked mine and noticed two cracks on the valve cover and a little oil near the intake. The second crack happened within days of the first.

If you havnt looked honestly I would as this seems to be an issue... 18000kms on the car.

Have an appointment with dealer weds. Shall see how it goes. And yes dealers suck. I am aware.

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R 20210318_103619

ATM

First Name
ATM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Just took my car in at Honda for the same thing. It’s not leaking but there’s residue around the seal. Rather have that valve cover gasket replaced now since its covered under my extended warranty. Just had to pay $100 deductible.

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
Well tightening the fasteners to spec bought me some time but leak started up again. Changed my gasket out yesterday. Not bad, took a few hours because i wanted everything CLEAN.

Gasket, hondabond ht and a few hours of my time. Leak free now. Tip. Let the hondabond cure per instructions on the packaging & torque the fasteners down in 2 steps.

Last edited:

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
Was changing out my plugs today and noticed some pooling around the valve gasket cover. I’m at 42K miles.
Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R 607D40CF-98A7-42BF-8A6F-7D03102AB3A1
Sponsored