MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Ayyy thanks to this thread I decided to check mine. Sure enough, oil is pooling. Only reason I suspected this was because during my last oil change I noticed “gunk/oil” buildup on the underside panel. I’m only at 8400 miles also...

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R 6369B11B-D08A-41D9-AEC0-BB43A3D62834

Andy423

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Went to the dealer and changed the gasket twice. But still leaking....Anyone still got the leak after changing a new gasket?

2018 with 6000 miles.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Went to the dealer and changed the gasket twice. But still leaking....Anyone still got the leak after changing a new gasket?

2018 with 6000 miles.
I’ve seen plenty of people mention a leak even after changing

Andy423

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
I’ve seen plenty of people mention a leak even after changing
Really annoying and unacceptable for a car with less than 10k miles having this issue. Come on Honda!

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Really annoying and unacceptable for a car with less than 10k miles having this issue. Come on Honda!
Mine tends to leak when I drive right after oil changes, and then it doesn’t do it again until the next oil change. It isn’t a measurable amount of oil on mine so based on all the feedback I’ve seen from people, I’m choosing to live with it at this point. Keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t get worse. But I agree, probably shouldn’t be happening

Tmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext; 2019 civic type r
Country flag

2018 with 6000 miles.
Mine leaked immediately after the first change. They kept my car overnight for the 2nd change to allow the sealant to dry (they said) and it hasn't leaked since. Been over 6k miles now

Hly

First Name
Hao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Just got my '19 replaced at 6500 miles, in and out after 4-5 hrs and according to the rep, "it's a well know problem". Now I'm wondering what if my warranty run out?
my brother's '18 type r also got the gasket replaced at 17kmiles 2 days before me...but the dealer f*cked up his ignition coil and killed 4th cylinder so the car had to stay for another day.
They didn't even top off the oil for both cars
Make sure u double check their work... Never trust them again.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Just got my '19 replaced at 6500 miles, in and out after 4-5 hrs and according to the rep, "it's a well know problem". Now I'm wondering what if my warranty run out?
my brother's '18 type r also got the gasket replaced at 17kmiles 2 days before me...but the dealer f*cked up his ignition coil and killed 4th cylinder so the car had to stay for another day.
They didn't even top off the oil for both cars
Make sure u double check their work... Never trust them again.

I’ve seen too many stories of people having damaged hoses and things not being put back where they should, at this point I don’t even want it covered under warranty

Samurai999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05’ Sti, ‘20 Type R
Country flag
Looks like the same thing is happening to my 2020 Fk8 with about 5.5k miles. No smells of coolant or any CELs. I was checking my oil levels throughout and didn’t notice oil level drops that could cause alarm (since I come from an Ej25t that is notorious for oil burn). When I went in to do my oil change this past weekend, I noticed oily gunk/sludge that collected on my undertray and oil pooling up near the valve cover like others are posting. If it wasn’t for me doing that oil change, i would’ve never thought to look for it.

Looks like something is amiss in Ohio...?

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Looks like the same thing is happening to my 2020 Fk8 with about 5.5k miles. No smells of coolant or any CELs. I was checking my oil levels throughout and didn’t notice oil level drops that could cause alarm (since I come from an Ej25t that is notorious for oil burn). When I went in to do my oil change this past weekend, I noticed oily gunk/sludge that collected on my undertray and oil pooling up near the valve cover like others are posting. If it wasn’t for me doing that oil change, i would’ve never thought to look for it.

did you also have buildup on your RMM? I noticed some on mine recently and I am hoping it’s due to this valve cover leak

stariq812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW FK8
Country flag

You have pictures

Samurai999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05’ Sti, ‘20 Type R
Country flag
did you also have buildup on your RMM? I noticed some on mine recently and I am hoping it’s due to this valve cover leak
Yes I did, but from the pattern, it looked to me like splatter from whatever collected on the undertray. Like what others have implied here, check around your valve cover to see if you have pools of oil built up in the pockets below the valve cover.

You have pictures
I took a couple photos, but this was the best one i could dig out of the 4 i took. Note the dried up pools of oil in the pockets below the valve cover.

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R B9A4D779-2523-45C9-995B-B6ABE769C3AC

Update: Was able to take to a local dealer (Dublin Honda) and they confirmed the leaky valve cover gasket and was replaced under warranty in about 3 hours from start to finish. I’ll do a visual check later as well.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Yes I did, but from the pattern, it looked to me like splatter from whatever collected on the undertray. Like what others have implied here, check around your valve cover to see if you have pools of oil built up in the pockets below the valve cover.

I took a couple photos, but this was the best one i could dig out of the 4 i took. Note the dried up pools of oil in the pockets below the valve cover.

B9A4D779-2523-45C9-995B-B6ABE769C3AC.jpeg

Update: Was able to take to a local dealer (Dublin Honda) and they confirmed the leaky valve cover gasket and was replaced under warranty in about 3 hours from start to finish. I’ll do a visual check later as well.
I’m local to Dublin too! Hopefully I see you around the streets. The Dublin dealership is god awful tho. I will not go there for sales/service unless I need something simple from the parts guy. I go to Elton at Oakland or Drew in Serramonte for warranty / installs

stariq812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW FK8
Country flag

B9A4D779-2523-45C9-995B-B6ABE769C3AC.jpeg

How many miles have you got and are you driving in cold weather trying to figure out what could be the cause and thanks for the pic