Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
The leaking has nothing to do with plastic valve covers. Manufacturers have been using them since last decade and they seal just as well as aluminum valve covers.
Untrue after 21 years as an automotIive tech I have had to replace many plastic components due to warpage. Valve covers included. The gaskets are design to compress on a fine line not like old cork gaskets. Any warpage can break that seal that is literally maybe 2mm wide compressed at the most. The other issue is in gasket design not enough material to compress sufficiently. Plastic parts run in problems acrossed platforms. Anything from Buick 3.8 plastic intake manifold leaking coolant into the intake to pressurized coolant reservoirs on Mercedes. Some cars sub 40k all needing replacement. if a specific plastic is more common than you think. It’s not a new problem. The plastic oil pans on mk7 gti have issues. Another reason can be from a bad off valve. It’s supposed to close under boost to prevent excessive pressurizing of crank case. When it fails the first place to push oil out it the weekest seal. Most often the valve cover. Cars leaking at very low miles is more from warped plastic parts than seals. I’ve tried just seals in those scenarios and few thousand miles later it leaks again. 50k and seeing valve cover leak that goes all the way down the back of the engine i really doubt a seal will solve it with a full plastic cover.

just as an example my wife’s Mercedes C300 needed a whole knew reservoir at 35k cause even with a new cap it couldn’t hold pressure cause the canister was warped where the o ring sat. At 35k it was out of round. I had a brand new Chevy sonic years ago I owned had a warped thermostat housing at 500 miles and was leaking coolant on to the trans and ground.When you find many individuals having the same problem it’s absolutely manufacturing issue overlooked. They won’t test everything it would cost to damn much.
Sponsored

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There were 3 sections that had oil pooled up. I tried to wipe it up as best I could.

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R 0FF3BAC5-77A8-40E8-B7C0-99F7A942DE46

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R D51ECB0C-B9EC-44A2-AA9A-1934B6123B79

tony_r2017

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
So today just for some reason wanted to clean up the engine bay a bit and noticed some oil leaks. Luckily I found this thread. I had this car for almost 2 years and never really to check this area so not sure how long this has been going.

I did an oil change a month ago and not sure if that would be the cause, been using the same oil for every change as well. I may have seemed to overfilled it a bit as the dipstick oil is showing on the 2nd dot. So not sure if that may be the case.

I only also have a Mishimoto intake for almost a year and a half now. So not really sure how long this leak has been happening which hopefully nothing else is broken. Do have an appointment this weekend. I rarely have driven the car since March. Maybe 20 times since then, but not sure if it was because of the recent oil change.

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R IMG-1265

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R IMG-1266

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Thanks to this thread I discovered the same issue with my 2018 Type R about a month ago. Just took it in last week for an inspection and happy to report that the dealership fixed the issue the same day under warranty :thumbsup:

Last edited:

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine was replaced under warranty as well. Also a 2018

vSneaKv

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Sorry for bad picture quality but I took this a few days ago. Cleaned it up and the Leak is too small to worry about but I’m gonna keep my eye on it and update this thread. Mine is a 19 with 13k.

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R 85505B22-0F01-4EE5-A908-CB269CFF5159

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
Noticed mine is doing this now too. Great.

Hopefully I can get this warrantied even though I have mods. Heard it's hit or miss in Canada.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
Noticed mine is doing this now too. Great.

Hopefully I can get this warrantied even though I have mods. Heard it's hit or miss in Canada.
What year and miles?

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
Damn, I was hoping that the '19s were clear. My car only has 1k more miles.
I'm not super stoked about it either.

I saw it on a friends 2018, but he was trading it in.

I noticed mine started as suspiciously dirty, but not pooled oil. Eventually, i noticed a very thin film of it that felt "oily". Fast forward to now it's pooling :(

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
Not the Type R but the K20C4 engine in my 2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport is also leaking in the exact same area. Just passed 20,000 miles the other day and was giving everything a look over before Winter.

Saw this thread randomly and thought I'd add my leak since our motors are similar.
Cleaned it up & tightened all the valve cover bolts as they were slightly loose.

Seems to be a common leak point on the newer turbo K20 variants.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
I'm not super stoked about it either.

I saw it on a friends 2018, but he was trading it in.

I noticed mine started as suspiciously dirty, but not pooled oil. Eventually, i noticed a very thin film of it that felt "oily". Fast forward to now it's pooling :(
I'm going to continue to monitor mine. So far so good, even after some really hot track days.

QuasarMotors

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quasarracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CTR
Country flag
Just did an oil change on mine and noticed oil pooling in the same areas. 2019 with 13k.
Does anyone know what the dealer is doing as a fix?