Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I think this has already been addressed in this thread, but as this isn't catastrophic oil loss; is there any major harm in just leaving this be (and keeping an eye on it)?
thats been my approach for 2 years, I just wipe off the RMM during oil changes, wipe off what I can from the backside of the engine, and live with it. Iā€™ve seen dozens of people say they got it fixed only for it to come back, and in the process of getting it repaired, the dealership messed something else up
Sponsored

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
It's a $25-30 fix (gasket set & tube of hondabond ht) and maybe 2 hours of work being overly careful. Did mine last year myself. The hondabond requires cure time which was the worst part of it. Do not use anything other than hondabond ht, the stuff is awesome.

With parts lead times, I might just order another gasket set to have on hand in case it starts weeping again.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had this issue a few years ago and took it to the dealer. They did it under warranty and haven't had a problem since.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
This is such an easy job to do. Living with it is plan silly.

TypeR-JJ

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Humm...Went for a oil change Saturday and the technician told me my" timing chain cover" is leaking. anyone else have this issue?
I have the same issue now. I took it to the dealership and they just added in oil dye and told me to drive it 1,000 miles. Bring it back so they can pinpoint where the leak is coming from.

Hacklespur

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Welp, posting for posterity; I'm loosing coolant (no outside leaks) and the oil smells like gas, my issue seems to be getting worse.

Got an appointment scheduled in the shop, I definitely don't have the tools/skills to crack open my engine.

I'll update with the shop's findings!

Hacklespur

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Update: It is indeed just the valve cover gasket, coolant issue is just normal fluctuations according to the dealership. Compression test came back fine, it's definitely not head gasket.

Vale cover gasket is on national backorder, so whenever that comes in I'll have mine replaced. Otherwise, the dealership agreed that it's perfectly safe to drive otherwise.

CTR39322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR(sold) DE5 Acura Integra
Country flag
It's a $25-30 fix (gasket set & tube of hondabond ht) and maybe 2 hours of work being overly careful. Did mine last year myself. The hondabond requires cure time which was the worst part of it. Do not use anything other than hondabond ht, the stuff is awesome.

With parts lead times, I might just order another gasket set to have on hand in case it starts weeping again.
Did you just apply Honda bond in the corners and seams, or all along the gasket where it touches the head. Thanks for the help, my 21 with 4600 miles is leaking too. I did find bolt #2 loose, re torqued it and Iā€™m monitoring it.

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
Did you just apply Honda bond in the corners and seams, or all along the gasket where it touches the head. Thanks for the help, my 21 with 4600 miles is leaking too. I did find bolt #2 loose, re torqued it and Iā€™m monitoring it.
Clean the surfaces thoroughly and apply at it at the corners / seams and let it cure. 24 hours don't even start the car. I have had zero issues and I put MILES on my car driving to Indycar/IMSA races and Honda meets.

imsaladman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Took a look at mine and noticed what looked like a tiny bit of oil and some sediment. Is this normal?
I'm at just under 10k miles.

Let me know if I need to take a more clear photo.
Honda Civic 10th gen Valve cover gasket leaking on '17 Type R 937B910B-05E3-4FCB-A352-6686A4D815CA