Valve cleaning options

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Has anyone done valve cleaning on their car? What technology did you use and are you happy with your results?

I'm looking into using https://carbon-cleaning.ca/en/ since is available. Has anyone use this before?

thanks!
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely interested to see what people are doing as well. Coming up on 50k here and this has been on my mind.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
DI engines are known to suffer from intake valves getting carbon build up because the fuel is not washing them the way it does on a non-DI engine. This was a lot more prevalent in early DI engines.

I'll probably see if I can jam my scope in far enough to get a look at the valves without pulling the intake manifold.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Has anyone done valve cleaning on their car? What technology did you use and are you happy with your results?

I'm looking into using https://carbon-cleaning.ca/en/ since is available. Has anyone use this before?

thanks!
Not sure I am convinced that this particular process is the best option.

From my brief look at the process's website, it is based on Injecting Hydrogen gas into the air intake, and raising the temperature of the ignition, and thus BURNING OFF carbon deposits.
Is OVERHEATING really that good for the valves etc, and is it really the best thing, and at the end of the day, does it really work.

I note there are no Before/After photographic evidence on the site, as to how clean it gets the Valves etc.

---------------------------------------------

Now, a Magnetic Valve Caps seem to be a far better alternative.

With the power of "Super Magnetism", these Magnetic Valve Cap with increase your MPG, reduce tire wear, de-ionize and de-magnetize your engine, as well as totally stop OD, and keep your car smelling clean and fresh.

The magnetic field generated by the rotating wheels, will create a protective field around your car, keeping it clean, and repelling dirt and water.

Magnetic valve caps : Only $99.99 (+ tax) for a set of 4

Magnetic valve caps need to be replaced every 12 months to maintain protection.
Not guaranteed to work on every make of car.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

From my brief look at the process's website, it is based on Injecting Hydrogen gas into the air intake, and raising the temperature of the ignition, and thus BURNING OFF carbon deposits.
Is OVERHEATING really that good for the valves etc, and is it really the best thing, and at the end of the day, does it really work.

I note there are no Before/After photographic evidence on the site, as to how clean it gets the Valves etc.

With the power of "Super Magnetism", these Magnetic Valve Cap with increase your MPG, reduce tire wear, de-ionize and de-magnetize your engine, as well as totally stop OD, and keep your car smelling clean and fresh.

The magnetic field generated by the rotating wheels, will create a protective field around your car, keeping it clean, and repelling dirt and water.

Most of those fogging style cleaning methods do burn pretty hot. I didn't look into the one he posted at all, so maybe that's different. A typical BG branded cleaning just mists a solvent into your intake. They're not very effective, but they are better than doing nothing.

Having a catch can on your car is a huge for preventing carbon build up.

OP
OP

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
Country flag

I do agree with you, and that's why I wanted feedback from our Europeans friends. Apparently, this tech is used in Europe for a long time.

My engine has 69000 km. I used 90% of the time Shell premium, so I'm guessing the valves are not that dirty, but... cleaning is always a good thing!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Most of those fogging style cleaning methods do burn pretty hot. I didn't look into the one he posted at all, so maybe that's different. A typical BG branded cleaning just mists a solvent into your intake. They're not very effective, but they are better than doing nothing.

Having a catch can on your car is a huge for preventing carbon build up.
As I am learning about all this new (to me) DI engine technology, the "Catch Can" seems to be something that a lot of people promote. (Except Honda of course !!)
For what a decent "Catch Can" costs, it seems a NO Brain-er to install one, and benefit from it. Not looked into HOW to install one yet .. is it a relatively easy job.

-----------------------------------------------------------

How does installing one impact on Honda Warranty ? .. it seems they look for any excuse (or at least the Dealer does) to tell you that you have VOIDED the warranty, because you touched the car.

More like "Fear Tactics" to preserve "Job Security" and the Non-Warranty repair "Cash Cow"

I see many similarities between the "Honda Warranty" and "Health Insurance"

(a) The basic Repair work / Medical care is charged at a very high rate by the Dealer/Health Provider.

(b) If the Owner/Patient has Warranty/Health Insurance, the service provider is limited as to what Honda/Insurance company will pay... typically far less than the provider can get by directly charging the service receiver.

(c) Hence the temptation of the Dealer/Service provider to tell the service receiver, that they are not covered, and have to pay the full, inflated cost that the Dealer/Service Provider chooses to charge.

Maybe what we need is OBAMA WARRANTY :rofl:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As I am learning about all this new (to me) DI engine technology, the "Catch Can" seems to be something that a lot of people promote. (Except Honda of course !!)
For what a decent "Catch Can" costs, it seems a NO Brain-er to install one, and benefit from it. Not looked into HOW to install one yet .. is it a relatively easy job.
Very easy. It just installs between the PCV hoses. Took me about 10mins to install my Mishimoto can. It doesn't collect a ton of oil, mostly water vapors, but anything that isn't getting tossed into my intake is a win.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Walnut blasting is of course the ultimate option.

Major major major props to anyone who posts a DIY on how to access the valves and do DIY walnut blasting.

Many garages have an air compressor. A media feeder attachment plus a sack of walnut shell media is under $50 CDN!

Major props to anyone who posts a DIY video.

Understandably this requires a lot of work like removing the throttle body and having to recalibrate it later...... but it's all worth it IMO.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Looking at various videos on you tube it looks as though Honda considered the intake valves, it appears the injector positioning actually coats the valves with a small amount of fuel on opening. Do we actually have a problem here? Quite a few people are past 65k miles and they are saying their engines are running sweet with no problems.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looking at various videos on you tube it looks as though Honda considered the intake valves, it appears the injector positioning actually coats the valves with a small amount of fuel on opening. Do we actually have a problem here? Quite a few people are past 65k miles and they are saying their engines are running sweet with no problems.
yes -- everywhere I read they describe the Honda 1.5L Turbo as a Direct Inject engine, but it would seem that it really both a DI and a Port Inject .. best of both worlds.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'd have to be at like 150k+ for carbon build up to be so bad that it's impeding air flow enough to cause issues. Did you actually find a video showing the valves being sprayed?

yes -- everywhere I read they describe the Honda 1.5L Turbo as a Direct Inject engine, but it would seem that it really both a DI and a Port Inject .. best of both worlds.
It's a direct port injected bi-charged rotary piston flat head engine.

Oh oops, I forgot to use my [/sarcasm ] code that I sincerely hope you forgot too...
Sponsored