First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX 2.0L
Country flag
Hello Everyone:

I've been reading through these threads, and from time to time, I come across a thread where valve adjustment comes up.

Does the 2.0 in the LX require ANY kind of periodic "valve adjustment?" Someone said if vehicle has solid lifters vs hydraulic ones, it would need adjustments.

Thanks...
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I would consult the owner’s manual just to be sure. Usually, they include that in there when to be inspected and adjusted but I might be wrong.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hello Everyone:

I've been reading through these threads, and from time to time, I come across a thread where valve adjustment comes up.

Does the 2.0 in the LX require ANY kind of periodic "valve adjustment?" Someone said if vehicle has solid lifters vs hydraulic ones, it would need adjustments.

Thanks...
This is what the owner's manual says:

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve Adjustment needed on 2.0 L? 1597062500330

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Requires a valve adjustment at the 90k mile mark. It's a screw and locking nut adjuster, no hydraulic lifters or shims.

rileyj98

First Name
riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe
Country flag
Yes you do need to adjust the valves as they are not hydraulic, this will be part of the maintenance minder 4 service when you change the spark plugs at the same time

OP
OP
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX 2.0L
Country flag
Yes you do need to adjust the valves as they are not hydraulic, this will be part of the maintenance minder 4 service when you change the spark plugs at the same time
Ok Thanks, so to confirm, this is something that has to be done after a certain mileage, not a time thing...right? The reason I ask is that my car sits a lot as I have more than one car that I drive.

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
Ok Thanks, so to confirm, this is something that has to be done after a certain mileage, not a time thing...right? The reason I ask is that my car sits a lot as I have more than one car that I drive.
Theyll say either or to play the CYA game but realistically it would be caused by RPM and engine run time. If you don't drive much I would wait until the mileage.

rileyj98

First Name
riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe
Country flag
It will be mileage 100,000 miles/160,000km your car will let you know though if it is sooner as when the oil life monitor for your maintenance minder will pop up with a 4 along with the A/0

Pearl.FC2

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic LX Sedan (6MT)
Country flag
Hello Everyone:

Thanks...
My car is currently at a dealership for a bad misfire issue, they are doing a valve clearance test, and if it fails they will be doing a valve adjustment. My car is a 2019 LX with just under 80k miles.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I'm at ~180,000 miles. Manual states to check valve clearance with Maintenance Minder 4 (approximately 100,000 miles, along with replacing spark plugs). I checked my clearances at 100,000 miles and all were fine. I also have no noise to concern me.

If you notice, using a feeling gauge and your ears are both subjective - you will need experience knowing what valve noise sounds like and you'll also need to know what a feeler gauge is supposed to feel like (i.e., tight vs. loose, etc.).
Sponsored