Utility of fast cars?

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
So that must mean that driving a Prius fast would be exciting?
This is why I repeatedly say it's not about fast or slow, it's about how the car feels under power and the characteristics of its powerband (is it slow but still feels eager and free revving?) and the sound the car makes.

Driving a Prius fast is extremely unexciting. I've done it.

Driving a "slow" base Mazda3 or VTEC Honda can still be exciting because you get to use up all of its available power, which arrives in a fun and satisfying way. No CVT or annoyances like that.
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do we need it? No. Is it more fun? Sometimes, but generally no.

I've owned and driven many fast cars. I owned a modded SLK55 AMG for 5 years and a modded (320whp, 2250lbs) Alfa 4C for 18 months. Both a lot of fun and the on-ramp squirts on throttle definitely put a huge grin on my face... but otherwise you're driving around at the bottom of the revs and can't really use the power.

My 2001 Miata on the other hand, with it's (maybe) 115-125whp, is a riot on the daily commute because I can drive it fairly closely to how it's driven on track without really breaking any laws. It's small and light and handles really well, makes a decent noise (with the mods) and I can rev the thing out almost anywhere.

It really depends on what you enjoy in a car. Straight line acceleration gets boring over time for me. The enjoyment I get is from actually driving, not just pressing the go pedal harder and watching the speedometer climb. The really high end sports cars aren't that much fun for me on the road because the limits are so high. The Miata is a ton of fun because I can use all of the car all of the time.
'It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.' The SI is not that slow, and I can barely use the power it has and stay legal. I need more curvy roads and less traffic, not more power. Do I want more power? Duh. Do I need more power? Not really.

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P Coupe, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Every now and then, I’m tempted to get something faster and more exciting than the Si.

Then I remember driving 120 MPH on public streets is reckless, dangerous and illegal!

So I kinda wonder if owning an over powered, hyper-fast car is just a bad idea? Yes, I know if you autocross or go to the racetrack it’s different- but I’m talking about a 100% commuter car. Do we really need 600HP? Heck do we even need 300?

Bottom line is that concern for my life, other people’s lives and losing my license validates my decision that the Si is plenty fast enough for public roads… but damn if I still don’t lust after more powerful cars! :hmm:
Life lived based on “utility” is boring. Do I need the power? No. Do I want it? YES! And I will have it, regardless of the wants of the social reformers.

b4gel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si sedan
Country flag
Have owned a slew of cars from a 109hp Fit to 375hp STi. The sweet spot to me is a ~3000lb car with ~230 hp/tq. I have no desire for more than that on public roads. The E36 M3 I owned 10+ years ago struck that perfect balance for me. Now the Si does the same thing...while beating the fuel economy of that Honda Fit it replaced.

Last edited:

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P Coupe, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Every now and then, I’m tempted to get something faster and more exciting than the Si.

Then I remember driving 120 MPH on public streets is reckless, dangerous and illegal!

So I kinda wonder if owning an over powered, hyper-fast car is just a bad idea? Yes, I know if you autocross or go to the racetrack it’s different- but I’m talking about a 100% commuter car. Do we really need 600HP? Heck do we even need 300?

Bottom line is that concern for my life, other people’s lives and losing my license validates my decision that the Si is plenty fast enough for public roads… but damn if I still don’t lust after more powerful cars! :hmm:
. Damn utility, it is fun.

dw1284

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
I just bought my SI coming from a 323 HP Camaro. The Camaro was faster on paper, but was much less fun to drive than the SI. The SI feels faster for some reason, and the interior is much more comfortable.

Beyond that, there just isn’t much need for more power. I rarely have an opportunity to use the power that it does have. I’m up to the speed limit within a few seconds and the fun is over as quickly as it got started.

In my SI I can get on the highway easily, pass another car when I need to, and once in a while it’s fun to floor it for a few seconds. It even sounds pretty decent all considered. And I’m getting 37+ MPG on top of all that (compared to the 19 I averaged in the Camaro). The bang for your buck that the SI gives you is tough to beat.

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
I just bought my SI coming from a 323 HP Camaro. The Camaro was faster on paper, but was much less fun to drive than the SI. The SI feels faster for some reason, and the interior is much more comfortable.

Beyond that, there just isn’t much need for more power. I rarely have an opportunity to use the power that it does have. I’m up to the speed limit within a few seconds and the fun is over as quickly as it got started.

In my SI I can get on the highway easily, pass another car when I need to, and once in a while it’s fun to floor it for a few seconds. It even sounds pretty decent all considered. And I’m getting 37+ MPG on top of all that (compared to the 19 I averaged in the Camaro). The bang for your buck that the SI gives you is tough to beat.
Agreed. Now that the car is breaking in it has a great feel. From the boost to the twisties. And I hardly ever take it to redline. Sure there are better sports cars out there. The "R" being one of them. You can't beat this all around package for this price @23-25k though.

Pepper's Dad

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 2000 Honda Civic Ex 2007 Lincoln Towncar
Country flag

You do not have to go over 100 miles an hour to enjoy high HP cars. I owned a 400 HP Corvette and never had it over 90.But it is fun getting to that speed..

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag

i have the exact same reflection... everytime i get a police ticket.... it last A couple of day and the i start bitching about how the SI could ans should handle much more power...
I guess that huMAN nature lol

I have to admit though that the SI have good enough power to have fun and... to get you in trouble bit you know... more is always better

Danimal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
I think I’ve found the right formula; the SI is my commuter car and it’s fun enough, and then I have a sport bike for the time that I want to go fast. Any car seems tame compared to a sport bike...

Dan

Civicbruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2013 Kawasaki ZX6R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm pretty damn happy with my Si. It wasn't meant to be a fast car, but a fun car and it did does it's job well.

If you want more power and fun, get a sportbike. Best fun you'll ever have on the road. Also easier to get out of trouble if you got in it. Not to mention the joy of seeing all the angry faces of wrecking people who spent obscene amounts of money on their cars.
Sponsored