Utility of fast cars?

OGKaiju

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'90 Skyline GTR, '96 240SX SE, '07 Legacy GT Spec.B, '06 Silverado Duramax
I've daily driven an 11 second car (my old S13), and I can tell you that while rare, having that kind of power on tap can actually save your life. I've been in situations where I was about to be merged into by large trucks and there was a vehicle right behind me and I was able to hit the gas and rocket out of the way. It also helps a lot when you are passing on two lane roads and not staying in the opposite lane for any amount of extended time.
Sponsored

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I would make the generalized statement that excessive power is overrated - but how the engine makes its power, for me, is much more important.

Some cars ARE fast but don't feel it (previous gen Lexus's come to mind). Some cars aren't all that fast, but they feel like they are.

My favorite car to floor it in was a 2003 Mazda6 V6 automatic - it's probably 7 seconds to 60 but had an almost vtec-like abundance of top-end power that made it extremely fun to rip. Not only that, but because it wasn't too fast, I could floor it all the time. And the engine sounded great!

And I got that car after having a V8 5-series and G35 Coupe, so there's something. I'm at the point where I will lose interest in a car because it is "too fast" -- i.e. you can't realistically floor it on for longer than a second or two on the street.

If money was no object, I would absolutely bypass an E63 AMG to get an E43. But that's just me.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had this same discussion with my wife. Why do you NEED something faster. I don’t. I want it. Don’t need it. I like being able to hit he throttle and GO. I did finally realize I don’t want 500 or 600 horsepower for around town. I wish I had the disposable income to own a road track car, a daily car, a drag car.... The next best thing for me though was the CTR. It’s fast, light, comfortable, and I must say has a controversial look.

As many have aready said. Need? No. Want? Heck yeah!!

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
It's less The Need For Speed and more the Want For Speed lol

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
I can’t remember where I read it or where I saw it but the general consensus is it’s more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. That being said, 250-300 hp is plenty for fun and more than enough to get you (and those you’re sharing the road with) in a lot of trouble.

My old 99 Si was fun to drive as was my STi swapped GC. Difference was, after letting the boost get the best of me, I’d always be more paranoid in the GC. It definitely built up speed quite rapidly and it was easy to lose track of how fast I’d be going. Mostly because the speedo would run out of space before the tach would.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Every now and then, I’m tempted to get something faster and more exciting than the Si.

Then I remember driving 120 MPH on public streets is reckless, dangerous and illegal!

So I kinda wonder if owning an over powered, hyper-fast car is just a bad idea? Yes, I know if you autocross or go to the racetrack it’s different- but I’m talking about a 100% commuter car. Do we really need 600HP? Heck do we even need 300?

Bottom line is that concern for my life, other people’s lives and losing my license validates my decision that the Si is plenty fast enough for public roads… but damn if I still don’t lust after more powerful cars! :hmm:
That’s true I think my ext coupe is pretty quick at 174 hp and o to 60 in the high six seconds area some performance cars in the late 70s and 80s with v8s had the same performance or
Some was slower ( mustang 2 king cobra and trans am turbo 79 to 80 ) and my car is not considered a performance car

BlownLSX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I fully support having a 2nd vehicle that is not only more powerful but even better to drive.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve been debating this myself. Traffic has gotten so bad in Charlotte I spend more time in bumper to bumper commuting than anything else. Imo, doing that in anything w more power would be pointless. I’ve thought maybe I need to keep the Si long term, pay it off, and get a second more comfortable car for the daily grind. Or maybe the m235 with the auto is comfy and can be both.

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P Coupe, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Every now and then, I’m tempted to get something faster and more exciting than the Si.

Then I remember driving 120 MPH on public streets is reckless, dangerous and illegal!

So I kinda wonder if owning an over powered, hyper-fast car is just a bad idea? Yes, I know if you autocross or go to the racetrack it’s different- but I’m talking about a 100% commuter car. Do we really need 600HP? Heck do we even need 300?

Bottom line is that concern for my life, other people’s lives and losing my license validates my decision that the Si is plenty fast enough for public roads… but damn if I still don’t lust after more powerful cars! :hmm:
They are fun, even not doing 120. That is all the reason anyone needs.

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P Coupe, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
I would make the generalized statement that excessive power is overrated - but how the engine makes its power, for me, is much more important.

Some cars ARE fast but don't feel it (previous gen Lexus's come to mind). Some cars aren't all that fast, but they feel like they are.

My favorite car to floor it in was a 2003 Mazda6 V6 automatic - it's probably 7 seconds to 60 but had an almost vtec-like abundance of top-end power that made it extremely fun to rip. Not only that, but because it wasn't too fast, I could floor it all the time. And the engine sounded great!

And I got that car after having a V8 5-series and G35 Coupe, so there's something. I'm at the point where I will lose interest in a car because it is "too fast" -- i.e. you can't realistically floor it on for longer than a second or two on the street.

If money was no object, I would absolutely bypass an E63 AMG to get an E43. But that's just me.
I have had many high powered cars, 383 Dodges, 440 Plymouth’s, Mustang GT’s. All were fast, and fun, but the Si has the whole package. Add handling, which the Si has, and the power/weight ratio, and the Si has it all over the others.

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag

I totally agree with your point--I have a CTR and in my view it has about as much power as you need for daily driving--anything more with that little weight puts you at speeds which attract attention from everyone include the local authorities. And I have learned how it feels is just as important as how fast you get there or how fast you can accelerate from a light, which is absolutely pointless! If you want to focus on that, go to the dragstrip and get a RWD or AWD car.

KhashTR19

Manual Mania
First Name
Khashayar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, White
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I have the same exact dilemma. What to do? I have a GTI and love it. But really, really want the Type R? "Wanting" doesn't equal "needing," does it, especially in a small college town? I read somewhere on CivicX something that I totally agree with. Paraphrasing: Driving a slower car fast is more fun than having to drive a fast car slow. The conundrum continues...

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I have the same exact dilemma. What to do? I have a GTI and love it. But really, really want the Type R? "Wanting" doesn't equal "needing," does it, especially in a small college town? I read somewhere on CivicX something that I totally agree with. Paraphrasing: Driving a slower car fast is more fun than having to drive a fast car slow. The conundrum continues...
I WANT a CTR as well, it just isn't something I need or that is practical for me. The Si gets much better gas mileage and is going to be less punishing for a daily driver. That said, the CTR is a hatch!

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I WANT a CTR as well, it just isn't something I need or that is practical for me. The Si gets much better gas mileage and is going to be less punishing for a daily driver. That said, the CTR is a hatch!
Actually...I find the CTR less punishing, in comfort mode, than the Si. Somehow the seats fit me better too. gas mileage I can’t comment on yet. I’m still driving the CTR pretty hard. Averaging 25 mpg. Si is better at 32 mpg.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So that must mean that driving a Prius fast would be exciting?
Sponsored