Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes... sold... now 10'th Gen Civic 1.5 VTEC CVT
Country flag
Hi - after reading the thread:
CVT belt failure at 14k miles...
I was thinking about how to hadle the gear leveler/shifter.

I mean... of coarse shifting from D to R or opposite when the car is not at a complete standstill is logically not ok - in any car actually.

But... how about going from R to N - or from D to N. This is safe, I guess?

And shifting between D and S should be fine regarding any torque or speed... again: I guess? Like using the shift pads?

Regards, Lars.
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Shifting any automatic to and from neutral during stops or whenever people do that is not beneficial to the transmission. I don't want to get too into how an automatic transmission works, but they are designed to be left in gear when loads are removed. If you're going from D to N to D while your rolling, it's not much different than going from R to D without stopping. It's just less mass behind the interaction.

Just leave your car in gear unless you're changing direction. If you want to shift into N all the time, get a manual.

OP
OP
bonne

bonne

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes... sold... now 10'th Gen Civic 1.5 VTEC CVT
Country flag
If you're going from D to N to D while your rolling, it's not much different than going from R to D without stopping
I would say there is a big diffence, as going from R to D reverses the whole system.

So you altso say that if you want to go from D to S or opposite, then you have to stop completely as well?

Regards, Lars.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you need to shift it to neutral anyway?

On the other hand, you can safely shift from D to S and vice versa anytime on the fly.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Ive accidentally shifted between N and D before, theres nothing wrong with it but theres really no reason to. And as i've learned shifting between D and S while moving or even on the throttle is also fine.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would say there is a big diffence, as going from R to D reverses the whole system.

So you altso say that if you want to go from D to S or opposite, then you have to stop completely as well?

Regards, Lars.
I should have explained that a bit better. I'm kind of talking more about neutral slams or putting it in N to rev at somebody then popping it back into D while revs are up. You're engaging the gears while there is more inertia than intended. It's not near as bad as R into D, but it's still kind of the same thing. Doing it while the revs are down is just more engage/disengage than necessary for the trans.

You can switch from D to S all you want. This behavior is the same as just pushing the gas pedal down a bit. Although, I don't know how good "trans braking" is on a CVT. I'm infinitely more familiar with MT and AT transmissions.

nick94

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I have used N and I have never felt the need to use it.
Sponsored