Using headunit as a hotspot

altaïr

"Nothing is true. Everything is permitted."
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Has anyone been able make our head units be a mobile hotspot?

Trying to get wireless Android Auto setup with HUR but can only do it with my phone as the hotspot. I would like to get it working with WiFi Launcher but can't figure out how(and if it's even possible) to get the head unit to act like a hotspot.
Sponsored

Z0NED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport 6MT Pearl White
Country flag
Bump because I am curious about this as well!

slab42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PWP Si Sedan
Country flag
I think you're mistaken on how the wifi in the car works. It's not an internet service provider, it's just capable of connecting to devices via wifi, not access the internet to give you wifi. In order to have a hot spot in your vehicle, you'd need a device that can link to the cell towers to give you access to the internet, but you'd be paying for that just like you have to pay for any other hot spot device or ISP.

OP
OP
altaïr

altaïr

"Nothing is true. Everything is permitted."
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I think you're mistaken on how the wifi in the car works. It's not an internet service provider, it's just capable of connecting to devices via wifi, not access the internet to give you wifi. In order to have a hot spot in your vehicle, you'd need a device that can link to the cell towers to give you access to the internet, but you'd be paying for that just like you have to pay for any other hot spot device or ISP.

I get what you're saying but that necessarily isn't a right or wrong answer. I'm not looking to get internet service from the device. I just want it to broadcast itself so that I can connect to it. Same as my dash cam in my car broadcasting itself as a "wifi" network and I can connect to it to view the recordings.
Sponsored