Using Genesis Brembo

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m curious if the braking performance is better with the Brembos from the Genesis on the Civic over the stock setup ?

I know that sounds like a stupid question ,however having been an owner of a 2016 Genesis Coupe Ultimate, which had the Brembo setup ,yes they looked great , but I was never impressed with the brakes on this car, they were average at best . That was one of the performance aspects of the car that was a let down .

As far as braking power goes , my 20 hatch ST is superior to the Genesis .

Good point, I'd like to hear some feedback as well. My Si brakes aren't all that great and the rotors were warped at just over 20K. I want to do something better than stock where I wont have to swap rotors again ag 40K.
Sponsored

Scarlet

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic LX Sedan - 1998 Civic Hatch - TBD Turbo Something - 2014 Honda Ruckus - 2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am attempting this setup right now with my Konig Freeform 18x8.5 ET35 wheels The following pictures are with a 5mm universal spacer. For reference, the same wheels in 18x9.5 ET35 almost have an inch of clearance without requiring spacers. Rotors are spec for the Nissan Rogue with 3rd row seats - any year should work, just check they are 320x28. Genesis Coupe 340mm rotors will not fit because they are too tall.

Konig recommends at least 3.5mm of clearance to be safe, and unfortunately I didn't measure that in the first dry test fit so I will have to try again. We took off the stock caliper and set it to the side without removing the brake line, and installed this one onto the bracket without any modification/custom brackets. The dust shield has to be slightly trimmed for them to not sit between the caliper and the rotor.

If I was to go with the minimum 5mm spacer as shown, it would be the H&R 1065640 as it's hub-centric and 5x114.3. However, I'm thinking I may need to go custom and get a 6 or 7mm for peace of mind. Since I can't find any options, I would tremendously appreciate any help in finding those sizes, OR does anyone have experience with custom spacers and reputable brands?

IMG_20190613_203820.jpg

IMG_20190613_201731.jpg

IMG_20190613_201945.jpg
IMG_20190613_201818.jpg
IMG_20190613_202022.jpg
IMG_20190613_202012.jpg

IMG_20190613_202144.jpg
I never heard about the Genesis coupe calipers not working, how would one know what they have?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I’m curious if the braking performance is better with the Brembos from the Genesis on the Civic over the stock setup ?

I know that sounds like a stupid question ,however having been an owner of a 2016 Genesis Coupe Ultimate, which had the Brembo setup ,yes they looked great , but I was never impressed with the brakes on this car, they were average at best . That was one of the performance aspects of the car that was a let down .

As far as braking power goes , my 20 hatch ST is superior to the Genesis .
It’s a couple hundred pounds lighter than a Genesis I want to say, so the civic already wins there. I have the conversion and with good brake pads the car stops on a dime. Really the purpose of bigger brakes and rotors is yeah more brake clamping force (4 pistons vs. 1 piston), but the main difference is heat dissipation. Able to brake longer and more aggressive without brake fade, that’s really the main benefit of BBKs. If you get good pads and rotors on the stock set up you might even get close to what a BBK does (stopped distance wise), but when it comes to situations where you are constantly braking and the pads and rotors are getting HOT with little cool down times, BBK wins every time because of the heat dissipation benefit you won’t get brake fade as fast as the stock set up will. So for normal every day use stock brake set up is perfect just get aggressive pads and blanks or slotted rotors if you want to cut the braking distance some more

Stupefyer

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Will this swamp work for the rear brakes too?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Will this swamp work for the rear brakes too?
No, there’s nothing in the market currently that will replace the rear brake calipers since the electronic parking brake. Last I heard R1Concept was designing a rear caliper that was able to keep the EPB, but that was last year at SEMA.. haven’t heard anything yet. The only way right now is if you want 2 rear calipers, since if you take off the stock ones you’ll get EPB and brake errors on your dash

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/r1-concept-big-brake-kit-including-rear-e-brake.42324/

Stupefyer

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, there’s nothing in the market currently that will replace the rear brake calipers since the electronic parking brake. Last I heard R1Concept was designing a rear caliper that was able to keep the EPB, but that was last year at SEMA.. haven’t heard anything yet. The only way right now is if you want 2 rear calipers, since if you take off the stock ones you’ll get EPB and brake errors on your dash

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/r1-concept-big-brake-kit-including-rear-e-brake.42324/
Thanks for the reply. Damn I honestly forgot about the EPB lol. If you dont mind me asking, where did you get your brembos at? and how much did they cost?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for that! I really appreciate it. What add-ons did you get when you bought them? Like are the stainless steel brake lines necessary?
It’s not necessary but it helps for a “firm”
brake feel, but I didn’t get it. All I bought was the calipers, re-coated, drilled+slotted geomet rotors, & the hardware kit. And then on the side I got drilled and slotted rear rotors (R1Concept), I tried a mixture of different pads... but so far running R1Concept semi-metallic (a good amount of brake dust but I love the bite), ATE 200 Racing brake Fluid, brembo brake lube

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
I If you get good pads and rotors on the stock set up you might even get close to what a BBK does (stopped distance wise)
I'd be very surprised if this setup didn't increase stopping distances over the factory setup.

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
god if we didn't have the electronic parking the rears would be so easy to do.... dammit honda I love the tech but sometimes its a drag in cases like this lmao

jkim19SI

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan (Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fellas, update time! I knew the BBS RG406 (aka Mitsubishi Evo X wheels) I had for this year would clear, but wasn't ready for how much clearance I am delighted to report back on !

As a spot of context, here are my last year's wheels, Konig Freeform 18x8.5 ET35 with a 5mm spacer to clear the Brembo calipers, which makes them ET30. That's 2mm of clearance from the lowest point on the Brembos, after gaining 5 from the spacer - without they didn't clear.
IMG_20190626_195102.jpg

Here are my new-to-me BBS, 18x8.5 ET38 wheels. The offset is 8mm higher, yet I have nearly 11mm (0.43in) of clearance from the lowest point on the Caliper! The reason for this is because I chose a wheel that starts off with a Convex spoke profile vs. the slight Concave of the Konig Freeform.

IMG_20200425_195916.jpg

The BBS being of convex profile has a longer wheel mounting surface, and that pushes out the spokes helping clear the caliper the way they have.

1587875360678.png

There was enough space for me to slide my hand easily between the spokes and the face of the calipers!

1587875627100.png

Clearing the barrel has never been an issue with 18" wheels, but here's me with hands resting on top of the calipers, and still have wiggle room

1587875720277.png

My advice is that if you are looking at the Genesis BBK, look for Convex or Flat wheels. For any concave wheel you have to go to a 9.5 with a low offset, which still may not clear but it sure will poke, and very likely rub your fenders when you hit a bump.
Fellas, update time! I knew the BBS RG406 (aka Mitsubishi Evo X wheels) I had for this year would clear, but wasn't ready for how much clearance I am delighted to report back on !

As a spot of context, here are my last year's wheels, Konig Freeform 18x8.5 ET35 with a 5mm spacer to clear the Brembo calipers, which makes them ET30. That's 2mm of clearance from the lowest point on the Brembos, after gaining 5 from the spacer - without they didn't clear.
IMG_20190626_195102.jpg

Here are my new-to-me BBS, 18x8.5 ET38 wheels. The offset is 8mm higher, yet I have nearly 11mm (0.43in) of clearance from the lowest point on the Caliper! The reason for this is because I chose a wheel that starts off with a Convex spoke profile vs. the slight Concave of the Konig Freeform.

IMG_20200425_195916.jpg

The BBS being of convex profile has a longer wheel mounting surface, and that pushes out the spokes helping clear the caliper the way they have.

1587875360678.png

There was enough space for me to slide my hand easily between the spokes and the face of the calipers!

1587875627100.png

Clearing the barrel has never been an issue with 18" wheels, but here's me with hands resting on top of the calipers, and still have wiggle room

1587875720277.png

My advice is that if you are looking at the Genesis BBK, look for Convex or Flat wheels. For any concave wheel you have to go to a 9.5 with a low offset, which still may not clear but it sure will poke, and very likely rub your fenders when you hit a bump.
Kinda lost with the wheel offsets but I have 18x9.5 +38mm. Do I need additional spacers from this point ??

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Kinda lost with the wheel offsets but I have 18x9.5 +38mm. Do I need additional spacers from this point ??
No worries, start here:

Simple answer is no, you're not in the clear just yet. Wheel design plays a big role in determining clearance - concave spokes leave little space for clearance, flat spokes are better, and convex spokes are best. My Konig were concave hence I struggled even with spacers, and my BBS are almost convex hence I had no issues at all.

If you want to learn more on that, watch this:

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Hello.
Those who have done this can you share links from where I can pick up rotors and calipers for cheap DIY. Don't have thousand bucks for BBK